Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

New widow

Became new widow on 7/12/19. Having hard time coping. Feel so lost.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Dear New Widow:

My mother lost my Dad after 64 1/2 years of marriage. Naturally she was devastated.  As her son I have tried to help by assisting with finances and insurance.  I also am helping with groceries etc., so it is a team effort.   My sister is also a terrific help to date.   

I would encourage you to seek out family and friends as well as your church if you have one.  Take frequent walks if you are able and it is safe to do so.  Reading or gardening may help or simply reach out and call someone.   Stay active and don't sit in the chair and waste away.  Also maintain frequent doctor and dental visits to keep fit.  I will pray for you and hope you will pray for us!

Caregiver of Fellow Widow

0 Kudos

Iโ€™m sorry. After having all of your life revolving around your husbandโ€™s care, it must be very hard to have that void. Have you thought about talking to a grief counselor or therapist? My husband is in last stages of early onset Alzheimerโ€™s and I know talking to a therapist is helpful for me. When my dad passed, my mother met a group of widows at the senior center, and she found that helpful. Best wishes.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I became a widower 7/16/19. I can only tell you if you have children and friends to keep them close. I also am leaning on a gentleman who i met at church who lost his wife 5 years ago. I believe anywhere you can get comfort from people like us who are in your shoes is healthy. I will be praying for Gods peace for you....

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP