Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with the AARP Job Board.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: My favorite quotations about grief (and adversity)

Message 1 of 3
My husband died 5 months ago.
One of my favoeite quotes:
"Cry not because it is over, smile because it happened."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Re: My favorite quotations about grief (and adversity)

Message 2 of 3

Rabbi Jonathan Saks has beautiful missive in Healing the Trauma of Loss with thoughts that appeal to all faiths.  "We are embodied souls- flesh and blood and we grow old and lose the ones we love...

Those we loved and lost live on in us, as we will live in in those we love. For love is as strong as death, and the good we do never dies."

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

My favorite quotations about grief (and adversity)

Message 3 of 3

Back when i worked as a social worker in a cancer unit, i began to collect quotations because i found them comforting and helpful. Do you find any of these enlightening? Do you have favorite sayings, bits of scripture or poems that have helped you to understand, heal, grieve with less bitterness?

Here are a few:

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places.     Ernest Hemingway

I’m convinced…that grief can be the instrument by which we come to grace; that sickness can be the vehicle we ride to new depths of self-discovery or charity toward others; that pain and loss and grueling anxiety can be the pathway by which we come to rock-hard certainty about our own purpose.  Of course, it isn’t the pathway I’d choose.  But we don’t make the choices. 

Mary Fisher, 1994, AIDS Activist

Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak whispers the o’er-fraught heart and bids it break.           -- Shakespeare

In a society which is much more inclined to help you hide your pain than to grow through it, it is necessary to make a very conscious effort to mourn. Henri Nouwen

What I’ve discovered …is that the lifelong fear of grief keeps us in a barren, isolated place and that only grieving can heal grief; the passage of time will lessen the acuteness but time alone, without the direct experience of grief, will not heal it… I’m pretty sure that only by experiencing that ocean of sadness in a naked and immediate way do we come to be healed—which is to say, that we come to experience life with a real sense of presence and spaciousness and peace.        

Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

Do any of these resonate for you as true?

Jane

Kudos
Views
Replies