Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Moderna shot killed my wife

She got her first shot on 3/5/21 at 11:26am and heart stop 3/6/21 8:00am. No heart attack, no stroke, just stopped. No previous heart issues.

AARP Expert

@hn7155 I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. Any loss is terrible and it's always hard even when a loved one has been ill. But a sudden death like this is just so shocking. I know you must be deeply grieving right now. I hope you've been able to talk with her doctors or perhaps an autopsy would give you peace of mind about what happened medically. Sometimes having specific answers can be helpful. 

But the bottom line is that you've suffered a terrible loss. I hope you are accessing some grief support services. If not, there are several ways you can get connected with support:

• Contact a local hospice organization and ask about support groups (most are open to people dealing with grief regardless of whether or not they used that hospice organization's services). 
  • You can search online for a grief support group near you. One way to do that is this search mechanism from Psychology Today (change the dropdown from "therapist" to "support group" and put in your zip code. 
  • If you prefer a church-based group here is a Griefshare search mechanism where you can put in your zip code and they will give you a list of local churches with grief support groups.
  • AARP has many helpful articles about dealing with grief and loss at this special part of the website: Grief and Loss, including this one that has help for how to get through these difficult days: Coping with Loss - One Step at a Time 
  • If you find yourself sinking into depression, I urge you to talk with your doctor about how you are feeling and ask for support or medication if appropriate. 
  • If you need someone to talk to immediately or you are having thoughts of suicide, don't wait, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

My heart goes out to you with this sudden terrible loss. I'm glad you've found our online community and I hope you will reach out to find some local support as well. Many groups are meeting via telephone or video chat during the pandemic if you can't or don't want to go in person. 

Be gentle with yourself. I've found that it helps me to do things to honor those I've lost. Perhaps you can do something to honor your wife today. I hope some of these suggestions are helpful. Please let us know how you are doing - I'll be thinking of you.

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

Author, Juggling Life, Work and Caregiving

Trusted Contributor

So very sorry for your loss. Our Press is doing a disservice by not reporting deaths from these vaccines. I myself won’t get one.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP