Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Conversationalist

Happy Thanksgiving 2023

I wanted to wish everyone peace this upcoming Thanksgiving.  We are all on our grief journey alone and at the same time with each other.  Take it easy and find your own pace on how you want to spend the day.  Looking back over the last 2 years, I have mixed memories after losing my spouse.  In some ways, time has helped ease the pain of loss through reflection and interactions with new and old friends and family. That is some progress.  Take care of yourself physically, mentally and spirituality (if so inclined).  This is a time of remembrance of memories and perhaps some reflection on how you want to live in your new solo life.  Find your own balance as you navigate the unknown. I wish you all the best.  Your friend, Sue 

Esteemed Social Butterfly

(comment deleted by poster)

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Hi, Nicole, I like the fact that others are sharing their plans, especially cooking, which happens to be something that makes me relax.  Rather than making a turkey today, I baked some thin chicken breasts breaded in the oven.  Turned out well and now I have something to eat for several times this week.  I think this site is wonderful in that we are all cheering each other on and wishing the best.  As someone said, too bad we are not closer to each other to invite over.  However, the thought and kindness are highly appreciated.  God bless all of you.  Sue

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Just wanted to check in to say HAPPY THANKSGIVING NICOLE.  THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT YOU DO FOR ALL OF US.  HAVE A PEACEFUL, RELAXING DAY.  I AM THINKING OF YOU.❤️   Wish you were close enough to join us for dinner.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!  Hope your day is filled with Peace & Love.  I am in a "baking mood" today.  Made Tassies, they are like miniature pecan pies (a real pain to make 😁) and pizzelles.  Those are an Italian cookie made with anise.  As a child we would make them one at a time in a specially made iron over the flame at the stove.  I have graduated to an electric iron that makes two at a time now.  My grandsons love them so I will make them and mail them to each of my grandsons.  It brings back happy memories and is something that will get me through the holiday.  Another old recipe is Nutrolls and I will bake those closer to Christmas.  Are there recipes that you can share?  I love to bake and cook and it seems that these are the things that will take my mind off of the sadness.  Of course, my neighbors will love this as I plan to share these goodies with all of them.  ❤️  

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Good morning, Nicole, thinking of you too and all the others who are reading our posts.  Please remember to be good to yourself and try to do something over Thanksgiving that makes you smile, happy, content, at peace, etc.  I added the word happy in case you have experienced the "new happy."  I am realizing that with major losses of loved ones, many words now take on a new meaning to match our new expectations.  That is not necessarily bad but just necessary to live today and tomorrow.  There are new opportunities for all of us and I hope we can realize that and as the saying goes, "seize the day."  We all deserve that.  Happy Thanksgiving to you.  Sue

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanks so much, Sue! And may your holiday season be filled with comfort. Having lost my beloved husband only 3 months ago, this is a very difficult time for me. But I thankfully will be surrounded by my loving family and wonderful friends. Grief is very powerful I am finding. 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Toni, take your time.  Three months is a short time since your loved one died.  Give yourself some grace and space to grieve.  Please take care of yourself, which we often forget to do.  I am glad that you found some comfort in my message.  My intent was to share my thoughts and offer some experiences that seem to work at least for me.  That is take your time, reflect (I found journalling helpful) and understand that this is a long journey.  Luckily, you have all of us who post and read each other's posts who really care about you and want to help if we can.  Your friend, Sue

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thx so much, Nicole.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Thank you Sue. Happy Thanksgiving to you. And to all on the site. I agree that going at one's own pace is the best thing to do. I can't think of a better way of putting it. And in going about our day we meet others who can benefit with a word of comfort too. 

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Hi Sue! @SueS788527

Thanks for the positive message!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Take care!  🍂🍁🍂☮️~Allen 🌈🍂🍁🍂

Silver Conversationalist

I love Snoopy!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Thank you for thinking of us and sharing ,

I think I mentioned the 'Plan Neutral' approach in an earlier post about coping with the holidays. I am still astounded by the amount of stress people generate over Holiday Plans and trying to visit everybody.

I hope your Holiday is a stress reliever...after-all that's part of what Holidays are for...rejuvenation.

Silver Conversationalist

That is a good way to view the holidays!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Hi Eric! @EricC28201

Thanks for the message about what the holidays can be like for many of us!

LOL!LOL!

Happy Thanksgiving my friend!

Take care!  🍂🍁🍂☮️~Allen 🌈🍂🍁🍂

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Nicole! @SpringIsHereSoHappy

My 4evah friend!

e.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving!

sOIP.jpg

Take care!  🍂🍁🍂☮️  ~Allen 🌈 🍂🍁🍂

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP