Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Conversationalist

Building a Network of Trusted Sources

I have been finding that even though I am on a solo journey as I walk through the grief, I need to have a network of trusted sources to help me.  It is ok not to know.  However, it is not ok to ignore those things which you need to attend to in your personal and home life.  Many of us try to tackle these alone with mixed results.  I think it would be beneficial for this group to share how they approached new responsibilities and what resources they used to handle them.  I’m not suggesting names of contractors but generic information, like how you found them and what worked and what did not work.  For instance, I rely on online customer feedback, consumer reports, etc.  What computer resources do you find helpful.  What about a medical alert, do smart watches work? This is just a beginning.  Rather than everyone tackling these duties separately, it may be helpful to share experiences so that we don’t feel as alone and handle things in a smarter way going forward.  Thanks, Sue

Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you @SueS788527 for this great topic. I’ll be brief today as my back is out. My biggest resource is Youtube, believe it or not. I have found many a helpful video on there. Sometimes I can fix the issue, sometimes just diagnose the problem. Many are from Home Depot, so that’s good as well. I have other helpful ideas, but for another day 💜

Conversationalist

Thank you for sharing.  That's what it's all about.  We may feel alone but as you say there are resources online.  A friend of mine in her eighties recently told me that she watches YouTube This Old House segments.  I'm sure there are other sources.  Unfortunately, with the pandemic many of the business practices we are used to are now not available and we now have to find alternate sources.  For instance, I am becoming less intimidated by using technology.  Just have to watch out for the scammers.  We may think the issues are with us, but I am beginning to realize it is much broader in scope.  Aging adds another dimension as well as the economy and new business practices.  Hang in there.  Sue

'

Conversationalist

I wanted to let everyone know that AARP Virtual Community is a great source of information on many diverse topics, like entertainment, exercise, computer technology and scams, etc.  Check it our for some ideas to make your life easier on your grief journey.  By the way, I am not affiliate with AARP in any way, so this tip is based on my own experience. Explore your options.  Life can get easier as you take the next step. There are resources out there for you.  Sue

Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) Great topic Sue @SueS788527 !

Conversationalist

Thank you, Nicole, for being so proactive in your postings.  I feel it is important for us as the survivors (yes, I think that is what we are) to position ourselves to be successful in this next phase of our lives.  It lifts the spirit when you feel you are capable of handling everyday items that you and/or your loved one handled.  You still honor their memory, but you are now creating a more self-sufficient identity of your own.  That is what's it all about.  Sue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP