Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

After Loss, Feel Lost

My mother passed 11 months ago today. I quit my international career to give her care the last 3 years before she passed. I am trying to move on but suddenly I am feeling lost. I know I must go to work to pay my bills, and for the health  insurance benefits (i’m 63) but no one is answering my applications, from anywhere in the country. I have never been unemployed since I was 15 years old, so that feels like a loss too. How do you find yourself again? How do figure out how to get back out into, and become again part of the world? No family close by or any real friends anymore. Not sure what happened to my life. 

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

Welcome, db,

I'm sorry about the loss of your mother and your current situation. As you say, you are experiencing the grief of the loss of your mother and as well the grief of your new-found situation...little family or friends, the loss of the career and the stimulation that that gives, I can totally understand feeling lost and wondering what direction to move to. On top of that at your age it's likely difficult to pick back up into your old career.

So you have a lot of difficult issues to consider. There are some helpful sub-boards on this AARP forum and you might consider reading and posting to them. Or try to find some other supportive forums of interest. And I'd certainly try to pick up some old connections from your career, they may offer you some guidance in your situation and even leads to work. the LinkedIn (linkedin.com) site is used a lot these days for professional contacts, that might be good to check into.

But don't allow yourself to get isolated, that's like a self-fulfilling situation that just gets deeper. Sounds like you need to talk with someone. Good luck!

@db51317373 wrote:

My mother passed 11 months ago today. I quit my international career to give her care the last 3 years before she passed. I am trying to move on but suddenly I am feeling lost. I know I must go to work to pay my bills, and for the health  insurance benefits (i’m 63) but no one is answering my applications, from anywhere in the country. I have never been unemployed since I was 15 years old, so that feels like a loss too. How do you find yourself again? How do figure out how to get back out into, and become again part of the world? No family close by or any real friends anymore. Not sure what happened to my life. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP