Explore the possibilities of part-time work! Register today for AARP's online career expo Jan. 24.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite way to keep cool in summertime?

Message 11 of 19

I either go into the swimming pool, or go into my chicken coop and stand in the misters with my chickens.  It's been over 100 degrees every day for over a month, and the chicken coop misters have been winning out over the pool!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 19

I add lemon or lime to my cool water or packets fromthe pharmacy that make water different flavors. Also go out and walk in my local pool. Those things work for this 71 year old. Alice Foley

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 19

I am extremely hot natured, so much so that I run the a/c in the car when I first get in to cool myself down--in the winter!  One of the best ways I've found to cool down in the hot summer months is to hose my feet off with cold water and let them air dry.  The hands work well, too.  It's simple, but it's amazing how good it feels!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 19

I hear ya @MaVolta, I keep getting up earlier and earlier each day to utilize the coolest part of the day.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 19

Texas has had an unusually hot spring into early summer, and now a heat wave of 100+ during the day. Must get out early to walk and exercise during the summer, otherwise, stay indoors with the a/c and fans running! Going to the a/c mall during the day is also a good option for walking indoors. There's hardly anyone there during the day.

Cherry-limeade is one of my favorite summertime drinks. Frozen juice bars are also refreshing, along with the occasional low-fat ice cream bar. Good ways to keep cool!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 19

Good plan, @VoyagerVicki!

Sounds quite refreshing, @SandyY621323!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 19

Here in DC, we have an abundance of outdoor public pools that are free to residents.

I love to cut up watermelon, sprinkle it with mint, and stick it in the fridge. While it's cooling, I put on a ton of sunscreen, and pack up a bag with pool essentials like water, more sunscreen, a towel, and a book (I'm currently reading All the Castles Burned by Michael Nye!). By then, the watermelon is nice and cool, and I grab it and go! 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 19

Stay indoors with air conditioning...and ice cream : )

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

What's your favorite way to keep cool in summertime?

Message 19 of 19

The national weather forecast is showing hot-hot-hot this week around much of the country. We try to stay cool with fans and air conditioning, even escape under the shade of a tree. For some it's a great excuse to take a trip to the local ice cream shop or have a dip in the community pool. What's your favorite (and most fun!) way to keep cool in summertime? 

Kudos
Views
Replies