There’s always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What's your favorite way to keep cool in summertime?

Message 1 of 19
My favorite way to keep cool in summertime is a tall glass of ice water and lots and lots of AIR CONDITIONING!!!! (Big toothy grin here).
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 19

I remember back in the day, my grandma and my mom would be the first to get up in the morning and she'd go around and close all the windows and either pull the shades or draw the blinds.  That kept the cool evening air in for a long time during the day.  In the evening when the day cooled off she'd open the windows and let the cool air in, sometimes using window fans.  But nowadays I have central AC but I only use it when it gets super hot.  I do what my mom and grandma used to do.  I love fresh air!  And I'm lucky enough to live near Lake Michigan which cools us off remarkably well. 

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 19

My favorite way comes in a brown bottle and foams when you pour it into a glass or mug!  🍺

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 19

When, our air conditioner died, in Las Vegas, we thought we were going to die!  We had 100 degree weather, lovely wind from Death Valley.

So, my son- in- law said "Mom, I got an idea". " Let's hear it". He said ". Take 2 bottles of water, freeze it, and put it on the back of a fan".  It worked!!  But, when, it's melted what happens then, he said ". Take a blown up bed outside, hook up a mister, that sprays continuously cold water on your bed and put the fan blowing on you as well."( It was like a water bed)  He slept outside like that for 2 weeks. Was he cool?  Yes, he was.

Hook up the mister, which you can buy at Walmart up to your outside porch and run it everyday.  You won't be hot, it's a lifesaver.  We use it everytime we go outside.  Yes, Las Vegas can be your Dreamland too!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 19

I can't take the humidity that has been happening here in Pennsylvania with all of the rain. One clear day followed by the next 5 with drenching rain has raised the levels in my home astronomicly. My two window AC units were not doing anything to signifintly quelch the humidity! I bought a portable room dehumidifier and located it centrally in my small apartment, then used two small fans to help push the air toward it. My place was at a shocking 80 percent humidity level when I started using it, it stays at 50 percent when raining out and can get the place down to 45 percent on a clear day. My Family Dr. said try for 35 Percent but I think that would take a second machine. At least things went from unbarable to comfortable for me. Oh, and eating cool salads for meals helps too, and it is good for the mind and body. I add protene and stay out of a hot kitchen. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 19

I wear loose cotton or linen shifts, blouses and tunics. I avoid polyester and other  man-made fabrics, they don't breathe. The same with my skirts, slacks and shorts; cotton and linen, lightweight denim only. 

I drink lots of water and seltzer, usually with slices of lemon. The same for ice tea (without sugar), sometimes lemonade sweetened with agave syrup. My fluid intake is ar least 64oz daily, more when the temperature rises above 80°.

I have ceiling fans and use them, but seldom turn on my AC. My house is on a tree lined street and is very cool throughout the day. I'm more likely to turn on the AC when the humidity is high, rather than the heat. I grew up without AC, my mother hated it, as it bothered her arthritis. Even now, I'm more likely to use the ceiling fan, than turn on the AC. 

Wear natural materials, stay in the shade, drink plenty of liquids (preferably without sugar). If all else fails and you can afford it, go to a movie theater. They first became popular because they could offer AC! 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 19

I take  advantage of all the cool places in town.The movies , the library , supermarket , and  the department stores. I also take advantage of their discount days  and  I can  use my AARP card in some cases . 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 19

Take a walk down the street and jump in the lake🏊!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 19

Doing laps or just swimming in general. I always feel better after a good swim for at least 1/2 hr.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 19

On a hot summer day I'll jump into my Ducati for a ride. Head to Hampton beach to go swimming in the ocean. Then have a relaxing lunch. A lobster roll and a basket of steamed clams. Oh so good.

Kudos
Views