You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Safe Driving course! Use code BELLS to save 25 percent now.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What are the values you want to be known for?

Message 1 of 11

I try to be courteous, honest, and honorable, and I try not to be overly judgemental (though I admit that I'm also somewhat short-tempered at times, and that there are certain individuals whom I suspect will not show themselves to me at their best until they're guest of honor at the next funeral I attend...) But I'm all right with myself, and don't beat myself up thinking that I should be more like this one or that one. I know I wouldn't do a good job of being, say, Mother Teresa; but neither would she have done a good job of being me. Basically I do the best I can with what I have to work with; in that, at least, I can claim to be like Mother Teresa. And in the end, that's what we all have to do--do the best we can with what we have to work with. It's not an excuse for "I got mine, so **bleep** you", or for "I can't possibly be the person society wants me to be, so I'll just give up"--it's realizing what your assets, talents, strengths, gifts etc. are and using them properly for the benefit of this weary ol' world we all live in. Even if your only talent you're aware of is being a good listener, for example, sometimes that's all a situation needs to right itself. Don't be afraid to make good use of your gifts, even if they're not the ones you or someone else expected. And remember that it's The Golden Rule, not The Golden Suggestion--treat others as you would want to be treated.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

For having the wisdom to not fall for short-term benefits at the cost of long-term well-being.

Even if Billy Joel; Only The Good Die Young (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMdOsk3fVAE) is true, I'd still rather have a short life of true well-being than a long life paying for stupidity.

Motherlode; When I Die (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA3ATKjRS1Y) says it pretty well.

But, Marmalade; Reflections Of My Life (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTeI65yrhGw) says it better.

Doing the right thing shouldn't be so hard. What's up with that? Why does "not being naive" always mean seeing the worst in others? Being optomistic is not always being naive.

Courage is not just fighting an enemy. It takes real guts to reconcile a conflict and avoid the fight.

It's easier to win a war, than it is to win the peace.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

I want to be known as a person who cared, having respect for my fellow human beings,   There is just too much hate in this world and we should love one another, even when it is not easy.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

Good for you!  Be true to yourself and I certainly try to do the same!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

Foremost: My faith in Jesus. My trust in Him and livng according to His values. Second, my love of people. My Love of family. Third: My openess and commitment to learning and growing daily. Latly: Living my life as best I can to bring praise to my father in Heaven. These core values are always in the forfront of everything I do. I do make mistakes, I ask for forgiveness of each person I have harmed in any way, and of my father who I have again disappointed. Then I move forward attempting to not make the same mistakes again.,

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

I'd have to say good family values first; a good work ethic second. We live in such a narcissistic, me-first society that we've lost the simple values of family and community. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

I want to be remembered for being the person I am despite others' well-meant (?) efforts to turn me into the person they thought I should be--mommy's little clone, June Cleaver, feminine as defined by those who have never been female, conformist, subservient... I am happy and have a life I enjoy, thankyouverymuch. (And to those who think they can define me based on the fact that I haven't owned a dress or skirt since the 1970s, your "gaydar" ain't working. In my experience, dresses and skirts are designed more for NOT doing things in, and I like to do things; I'm big in both directions, tall AND ample, and most women's clothing is designed for either/or, so men's clothing just plain fits my body better; and yes, I can appreciate a good-looking woman, but I can also appreciate a 14-point buck silhouetted against a glorious sunset--doesn't mean I want to go to bed with either one!)

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11
I agree, my motto is live simply so others may live.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

Honesty, Compassion And Kindness.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

Work ethic.  “Anything worth doing is worth doing well”.   This is what my Grandmother instilled in me.  

Kudos
Views