Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What Bucket List items have you achieved later in life?

Retired Community Manager

What Bucket List items have you achieved later in life?

This 97-year-old great-grandmother finally went to her first high school prom: https://www.aarp.org/home-family/friends-family/info-2019/great-grandmother-attends-first-prom.html

What have you really wanted that you only accomplished/experienced after 50?

Conversationalist

I had 4 items on my bucket list which I thought about when I was a teenager.

1. Go to a desert  and see what it offers

My parents were driving across country and we came across a huge desert, usually when traveling I'm reading and didn't pay attention.  But, when  my brother said " Cathy, this is a desert". I jumped out of the car and stood looking off into the desert- oh, my God, it's a mirage.  It looked like a hotel in the distance, looked I yelled.  I ran toward it but it got further away and I laughed- yes- my bucket list.

2.  Go to Mars- anyway possible- I haven't gone to Mars, yet, but I did do a report on the planet extensively in college.  I realized that there were people living there at one time but were hit by a meteorite that devastated the planet to almost extinction, now they live underground.

3. Go to Russia- It was always my dream to visit it.  Someday, maybe

4.  Go to a South Pacific island, not Hawaii, but someplace else.

My dream came true when I met the most friendliest person ever, a man, from Tonga, the Friendly Islands.  I married him and went to his island, much later in life. Tonga consists of 52 islands. It also has a monarchy, ruled and governed by a king.  Tongans are the most friendliest people ever, they will literally give you what they have, but you must always give them respect, never look down on them.  They say they are very poor but they own their own land,have beautiful families and loads of Love and Compassion!

That is MOST wonderful!!

Always wanted a college education so at age 53 I started twelve yesrs of study and got a Liberal Arts

degee, a Bachelor of Arts degree and a Master of Science by age 65. I was the oldest in my classes and got half price tuition at age 60.

Bronze Conversationalist

Good for you and congratulations on your advanced degree. We should start a "mature college graduate" club! I got my Master of Science in my 70s and also got reduced tuition on PhD at age 78. We can be an inspiration for the younger generation.
Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

• 3 Novels  with over 12,999 words written.
  • Birthed - The Gentle Revolution of the Heart.
  • Purchased a House
  • Fell into a Sacred Path Relationship.
  • Wrote thousands of Poems.
  •  
Periodic Contributor

I watch videos and learned to alter my maxi dresses to midi length. I also does crafting and photography transferring photo prints to canvas and loving it all very relaxing.

Bronze Conversationalist

When I graduated high school I wanted to go to college, and was accepted into first rate art college. My parents woudn't let me attend, as they thought that girls should learn to clean house, have babies, and have a job to fall back on in case her future husband was out of work.  They sent me to a women's secretarial school, which I hated.  Later I married, had children, got divorced and worked at three jobs simultanously (days, nights, and weekends) to support my sons and me.  Later I got a good job (also remarried and got a good husband!), and at age 70 I retired with full benefits.  My sons were grown and had homes of their own.  Now it was my turn.  I entrolled in an online college in natural health and after four years earned a bachelor's degree and graduated with with "highest honors".  Encouraged by my sons and new husband, I enrolled in the master's degree program in Herbology and was offered a substantial discount if I committed to continuing on to the doctoral program when I finished the master's program.  I took them up on their offer.  I finished the master's degree program and it was "Onward"!  I worked hard on the courses in the PhD program, with the most difficult, but also the most enjoyable part, being writing my dissertation.  After submitting it, I waited.  And waited.  Etc.  Finally I recieved an email from my advisor.  "Dear Dr. Iris", it began!  At age 78 years and 9 months I was Dr. Iris.  I'd earned my PhD in Natural Medicine.  This month I'll be 80 years old and write articles for an online ezine.  Sometimes they're on herbs or other natural health related topics; sometimes they're just fun, such as my article on National Naked Gardening Day.  The brain keeps growing as long as we keep them active.   

I have accomplished my bucketlist of becoming a successful Radiology Professional as Professor and cofounder of the Harlem Hospital School of Radiology Technology and achieved position as Chief Technical Supervisor with Columbia University and a member of the 25Yr club where I worked for 41 years.

After Retirement, I travelled the Caribbean, Europe including England, Asia including the Philippines and Japan. Visited  Egypt - the Pyramids, the Sphynx and sailed the River Nile and now that I'm a Grandpa at last, then I wrote a memoir of my life's journey to motivate and inspire everyone titled: "Grow your wings, fly away and build your nest" and accomplished the bucketlist of a gracious book signing at Barnes and Noble in 2013. An excerpt is available on youtube and on amazon.com many find it motivational and inspirational and I urge everyone to read, share and rate on amazon. Thanks for being on the bucketlist with me as we travel on the 'bucket of life'

Contributor

After a lifetime of expressing my gender as female, I finally transitioned to male, the gender I have always truly been.  I began taking testosterone at the age of 63.  I am now 67.  It was a wonderful decision.  Whatever time I have left on this planet, I will live as who I am.  Anything else I accomplish will pale in comparison.  The desire to be who I was never went away.  Now, I feel at peace.

Super Contributor

@LindenJ358051 wrote:

After a lifetime of expressing my gender as female, I finally transitioned to male, the gender I have always truly been.  I began taking testosterone at the age of 63.  I am now 67.  It was a wonderful decision.  Whatever time I have left on this planet, I will live as who I am.  Anything else I accomplish will pale in comparison.  The desire to be who I was never went away.  Now, I feel at peace.

Wishing you nothing but happiness for the rest of your life ~ the best is yet to come! Heart

Super Contributor

Not a bucket list item but a major accomplishment is being able to retire at  60 yrs. after 30 yrs. of teaching and receiving a nice pension so I don't have to work for the rest of my life.  As for bucket list items, we spent a month in Hawaii (visited 5 islands), 2 weeks in Alaska, a month in the UK (England, Scotland & Ireland), a week in Bermuda and trips to Florida, upstate NY, Maryland, etc.  Health issues are starting to creep in so traveling will be a bit different.

Well, I'm 50 and I started learning to play piano at 48. Never had time when younger. I still work of course but I don't run around keeping myself super busy like I used to. I like more down time.

Contributor

I was a very young child when I told my parents I wanted to be on a stage in front of an audience, but they had no idea that was possible, so I never got to do a play until I was 25. Along the way, I became a published cartoonist, edited and contributed to several small magazines, and performed in many plays. In my fifties and early sixties, I added a bit of film work, recorded seven audiobooks which have been downloaded 1.5 million times, did stand-up and sketch comedy and a lot of improv. I got to sing on stage with a Tony-winning actress. Last night I was in a sold-out show with my younger improv team, mostly people half my age, and I also perform with a group of senior improvisers; we're getting ready for our second festival performance in September. And I'm writing a musical this year! I got a late start on my creative goals, but always tried to do whatever I could to keep moving forward. Do what you can right now, and when you look back, you'll always have a lot of great memories. Then look forward again and ask "What's next...?"

Regular Contributor

Lets see -My bucket list is intensive and time consuming: 1) I have 65 years of pictures to sort through and upload on cloud sharing-there are literally thousands-then I have to pack and ship them to each family member. 2) Completing my cookbook for the entire family, taking pictures, making demos and videos and upload it on a family website I created. 3) Writing a book to leave to my family about the origins and history of my life as whatever they hear goes out the other ear! . 4) Starting an online non-profit Advice Column that connects Seniors to our youngsters who can reach out for advice on anything from A-Z . We are fighting a political war in America and we need to find a way to put aside our differences, find a middle-ground, stop the hate that is destroying us and do good things to pay it forward. My dad made it to 98, his mom was 99 and I guess I will need to keep going to at least 95 before I finish but every minute counts, its worth it and its a reason for me to stay alert and fit!

Contributor

I climbed the steps of the Statue of Liberty to the top and back down again.  This was a major accomplishment for me because I am afraid of heights and I am claustrophobic.  Everyone else who was there at the same time I was there were all very supportive of me -- in fact, the man in front of me when we were coming back down told me to put my hand on his shoulder and that if I felt like I was going to fall to tell him and he would catch me!  This was a perfect stranger who was willing to put himself in harms way if I should become in harms way!  I will never forget the experience.

Contributor

Retired at 61 in 2015 to follow my wife on her long held goal of being an international school teacher. Moved with her to Chengdu, China..  Bucket list items since then:

1. Fell into university teaching job in Chengdu, teaching International Supply Chain Management and Business Negotiation Techniques.

2. Surfed in Hainan Island, China and Bali/Nusa Lembongan/Lombok, Indonesia

3. Saw the terracotta warriors in Xi'an, China

4. Hiked 3 miles on the Great Wall of China in Mutianyu

5. Visited the Mogao Caves in Western China. On the same trip we visited Turpan, Kashgar and Tashkorgan.

6. Visited Angor Wat in Cambodia.

7. Also travelled to Thailand and Laos.

8. Train ride across the Tibetan plateau from Xining, China to Llasa

9. Saw the Potala Palace in Tibet.

10. Mt. Everest Base Camp, Tibetan side at 5,400 meters (17,717 ft).  

11. Overland from Tibet to Kathmandu, Nepal.

12. This April I did the Kohpra Danda trek in the Annapurna Himalayas in Nepal.  7 days, 72 km (43 miles) going from 1,400 meters to 3,700 m (12,140 ft).

Since July, 2018 we live in Jürmala, Latvia where my wife teaches at an international school near Riga.  Looking forward to a road trip this summer from Latvia to Croatia and a 7 day island hopping cruise from Split to Dubrovnik.  We are going to go through Lithuania, Poland, Hungary, Bosnia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Austria and Slovakia.  One more school year in Latvia and then we are retiring to the Algarve Region of Portugal.  

Social Butterfly

My bucket has a hole in it!  

Contributor

I'm closing in on all 50 states, 5 to go: Alaska, Arkansas, Hawaii, Idaho and Ohio

Periodic Contributor

I got to go back to India in March of this year to visit my Pen Pal, of over 55 years.  I had been   to see her back in 1974 & then again in 2005.  After my 2005 trip I didn't know if we would see each other in this lifetime.  Then in late 2018 she started dropping hints about my coming for another visit in 2019.  I jumped at the chance &  we started making plans.  When I arrived at her house we gave each other a big hug.  We felt like there hadn't been any time between visits.  We reminisced about my prior 2 trips and everything else that had happened since we were matched at the 1964 New York's World Fair at the Parker Pen Paviliion.  I would most definitely go to India again if she invited me.

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

Where in India did you visit your friend? FYI, Whatsapp is a good way to share, call for Free, upload and send pictures and stay in touch-individually or with a Group!
Periodic Contributor

Been on 3 road trips, took a cruise to Hawaii and back. 

Recently went to the Grand Canyon. 

Niagara Falls- walked over to Canada and back. 

New England States. 

I only have 2 states left and will have been to all 50 states.  Am planning on completing that next year, 2020. (Michigan and Wisconsin) 

Periodic Contributor

update on my plans: obviously nothing happened in 2020, 2021 and 2022. No place to go, nothing to do when you got there. Maybe in 2023, I will be able to get to Michigan and Wisconsin. In the meantime, I did take an Oregon Coast Road trip in July 2021. Visited with a brother and cousin in Oregon. In Sept. 2021 I took a 3 week road trip, looking for a new state to move to. Went to AZ, NM, TX and CO. Decided on relocating in AZ. Sold my home of 19 years and moved in 2022.

Contributor

Alaska, Europex2, Australia, Africa, Yellowstone area, Mackinac Island, Ancient Corinth, Gaudi's works in Barcelona, Dali Museum, Rome, Amalfi Coast in Italy, and looking forward to many more areas.

Contributor

WELL, HERE IS MINE 

MOST OF AMERICA, IRELAND, CANADA, ALASKA, ITALY, PERU, COLLISEUM, MACHUU PICHUU, POMPEII, MT. PERSUVIUS, JORDAN, DEAD SEA, PETRA, and probly a few i am forgetting. i am not finished yet. i do these things in between surgeries for an accident that happened at work 4 yrs ago. its amazing , if you try to keep your body going, how fast it will heal. so,i am looking forward to more trips after my july2, 2019 neck surgery.  lol.  WISH ME LUCK!!

Contributor

Wow! great attitude! Wishing you the best on your recovery so you can keep on traveling!

Periodic Contributor

Wishing you a swift recovery on your upcoming surgery.
Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Driven my RV to Alaska.  Rafted the Colorado River through the entire Grand Canyon.  Visited Australia and New Zealand. 

Periodic Contributor

I also tried hang gliding. Awesome. 

Contributor

I'm a goal setter....and set 3 goals for myself...#1 - become a Professional Secretary by participating in the rigourous challenges of the competition.  #2 - Complete college - Went to college 10 years @ night...and received my degree in Accounting.  #3 - Avid bridge player - and finally achieved my Life Master!  Now, I am living a good life....playing bridge...involved in my church ....knitting...loving my kiitties...loving my children and grandchildren.  Life is Good!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP