Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What Bucket List items have you achieved later in life?

Message 11 of 29

Well, I'm 50 and I started learning to play piano at 48. Never had time when younger. I still work of course but I don't run around keeping myself super busy like I used to. I like more down time.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 29

I was a very young child when I told my parents I wanted to be on a stage in front of an audience, but they had no idea that was possible, so I never got to do a play until I was 25. Along the way, I became a published cartoonist, edited and contributed to several small magazines, and performed in many plays. In my fifties and early sixties, I added a bit of film work, recorded seven audiobooks which have been downloaded 1.5 million times, did stand-up and sketch comedy and a lot of improv. I got to sing on stage with a Tony-winning actress. Last night I was in a sold-out show with my younger improv team, mostly people half my age, and I also perform with a group of senior improvisers; we're getting ready for our second festival performance in September. And I'm writing a musical this year! I got a late start on my creative goals, but always tried to do whatever I could to keep moving forward. Do what you can right now, and when you look back, you'll always have a lot of great memories. Then look forward again and ask "What's next...?"

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 29

Wow! great attitude! Wishing you the best on your recovery so you can keep on traveling!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 29

I also tried hang gliding. Awesome. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 29

I'm a goal setter....and set 3 goals for myself...#1 - become a Professional Secretary by participating in the rigourous challenges of the competition.  #2 - Complete college - Went to college 10 years @ night...and received my degree in Accounting.  #3 - Avid bridge player - and finally achieved my Life Master!  Now, I am living a good life....playing bridge...involved in my church ....knitting...loving my kiitties...loving my children and grandchildren.  Life is Good!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 29
Where in India did you visit your friend? FYI, Whatsapp is a good way to share, call for Free, upload and send pictures and stay in touch-individually or with a Group!
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 29

Lets see -My bucket list is intensive and time consuming: 1) I have 65 years of pictures to sort through and upload on cloud sharing-there are literally thousands-then I have to pack and ship them to each family member. 2) Completing my cookbook for the entire family, taking pictures, making demos and videos and upload it on a family website I created. 3) Writing a book to leave to my family about the origins and history of my life as whatever they hear goes out the other ear! . 4) Starting an online non-profit Advice Column that connects Seniors to our youngsters who can reach out for advice on anything from A-Z . We are fighting a political war in America and we need to find a way to put aside our differences, find a middle-ground, stop the hate that is destroying us and do good things to pay it forward. My dad made it to 98, his mom was 99 and I guess I will need to keep going to at least 95 before I finish but every minute counts, its worth it and its a reason for me to stay alert and fit!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 29

I climbed the steps of the Statue of Liberty to the top and back down again.  This was a major accomplishment for me because I am afraid of heights and I am claustrophobic.  Everyone else who was there at the same time I was there were all very supportive of me -- in fact, the man in front of me when we were coming back down told me to put my hand on his shoulder and that if I felt like I was going to fall to tell him and he would catch me!  This was a perfect stranger who was willing to put himself in harms way if I should become in harms way!  I will never forget the experience.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 29

Retired at 61 in 2015 to follow my wife on her long held goal of being an international school teacher. Moved with her to Chengdu, China..  Bucket list items since then:

1. Fell into university teaching job in Chengdu, teaching International Supply Chain Management and Business Negotiation Techniques.

2. Surfed in Hainan Island, China and Bali/Nusa Lembongan/Lombok, Indonesia

3. Saw the terracotta warriors in Xi'an, China

4. Hiked 3 miles on the Great Wall of China in Mutianyu

5. Visited the Mogao Caves in Western China. On the same trip we visited Turpan, Kashgar and Tashkorgan.

6. Visited Angor Wat in Cambodia.

7. Also travelled to Thailand and Laos.

8. Train ride across the Tibetan plateau from Xining, China to Llasa

9. Saw the Potala Palace in Tibet.

10. Mt. Everest Base Camp, Tibetan side at 5,400 meters (17,717 ft).  

11. Overland from Tibet to Kathmandu, Nepal.

12. This April I did the Kohpra Danda trek in the Annapurna Himalayas in Nepal.  7 days, 72 km (43 miles) going from 1,400 meters to 3,700 m (12,140 ft).

Since July, 2018 we live in Jürmala, Latvia where my wife teaches at an international school near Riga.  Looking forward to a road trip this summer from Latvia to Croatia and a 7 day island hopping cruise from Split to Dubrovnik.  We are going to go through Lithuania, Poland, Hungary, Bosnia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Austria and Slovakia.  One more school year in Latvia and then we are retiring to the Algarve Region of Portugal.  

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 29

My bucket has a hole in it!  

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark