Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with AARP’s job board.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Want to Boost Your Happiness?

Message 11 of 32

If the stress of the day starts getting to me I stop and do some stort moves of an exercise program called Tai Chi. Calms you down as well as lifts you up. And you can do these anywhere.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 32

I take the fifth on this question!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 32

When I need a lift, I like to go to the garden center, seeing and smelling flowers really give me a boost. I also feel great volunteering to help someone else.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 32

One of the main things that boosts my happiness is walking along the beach. I can commune with nature, breathe the fresh tang of salty air, and if I'm really lucky, a school of dolphins will swim by or sea birds will flock overhead. It reminds me of how vast the universe is and minimizes any problems or fears I may be experiencing. The roar of the waves releases any anxiety I am feeling, offering inexplicable joy. 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 32

Take a ride on my bicycle. When I don't really feel like it, I tell myself I'll just do 2 or 3 miles but when I get started I feel so good that I often do 20 to 30. It gives me a boost for the entire remainder of the day.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 32

I'm 55 and live in SoCA in Glendale, which is just north of downtown LA.  I live a few blocks from the Americana, which is a huge tourist destination.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 32

Buy a Himalayan Salt Lamp, some are on sale for $10,  put it on, listen to some nice music or watch an enjoyable movie.  You will notice after awhile how it gives off a calming effect.

or, your in your room, think of a garden with the most beautiful flowers, birds singing sweetly, a fountain or maybe a brook, add whatever you like.  I like waterfalls and I step in it,and look out of the water at how all the animals come out and jump around.  You can hear the water rushing down, it doesn't have to touch you if you don't want it to- This is your Magical garden, a place free of stress, you can add whatever you like or dislike.  You can change it everyday.  It's a your getaway.  You can bring it anywhere with you,why,you made it.  Only you are there,no one else,if you bring people into it, it gets complicated and stressful, your imagination goes amok, so avoid the people.  Animals ok, small ones at first, later and only if your comfortable bring in bigger ones.

in my garden, I have a waterfall, a fountain some days, an eagle that always soars overhead, telling me, everything is fine.  I have tons of flowers with bees buzzing, birds and lots of rabbits.  Only, one time, I brought in a bear, and he was huge and walked on his 2 legs roaring, he wouldn't relax, so I went thru my hedge and waited till he left.  Like, I said, imaginations can get carried away.  Did the bear come back?No, he wasn't allowed!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 32

This sounds wonderful. May I ask your ages and in what part of the country do you live

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 32

Well said.   I find being in water  (swimming, bathing) cleanse my soul and relax my body as does being with friends.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 32

I swim as it helps both physically and emotionally.  Also listening to classical music speaks to my soul.  And being with friends ...

Kudos
Views