Know someone over 50 who is making a difference? Nominate them for the AARP Purpose Prize. Nominations close March 31!

Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Theatre organs making a return but in homes!

Message 1 of 2

Wow can you imagine, @PatrickR720159?! This reminds me of my brother's classmate who played the organ. It was such a novelty even 30+ years ago. He was such a talented musician and I often wonder if he continued with a musical career.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Theatre organs making a return but in homes!

Message 2 of 2

Some of us could long remember the days of the silent movies at the movie theater and there was a man who would play an organ to fill in the sound that would go along with the movie.  Well since nowdays movies these days are often filled with trash such as sex, cussing, and too much violence, Well some of these old time instruments has found their way into some homes.  The thing is about housing a huge pipe organ is to find the space needed for the many, many pipes that comes with the organ.  Some pipes can rage to a size of a pencil, some are the size of a cigarette.  Some are so big and tall that sometimes you have to find a way to have it lay on it's side as a way to get it to fit!  Also the console also eats up some space.  It all depends on the size of organ you want.  Two manual organs are often the smallest.  A 5-manual theatre organ is sometimes considered as a monster due to the large size of the console alone!  And you may have to make sure your house is going to stand up for the heavy bass since some of the pedal notes go as deep as 32 feet!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies