Get the information you need to help care for your eyes at the AARP Eye Center. Visit it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Master Gardener learning and volunteer fun

Message 1 of 5

Hi @bd8344  Yeah, in our area, one of the universities operates a community garden, as do a number of churches and a few housing developments plus a couple of the environmental education centers. I'm pretty certain so do a some of the local cities, so a person without land here can still raise a portion of their food in a community garden. All good things. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

There is a homeless shelter in one of the nearby cities.  The location use to be a military barracks that was closed down.  It was later used as a temporary shelter for the INS when we still had it.  It had all the necessities becauce it was a military barracks first.  One of the things they kept when they turned it into a shelter was the garden they had when it was a military barracks.  There was a lady (she may still come) that was a MG and volunteered ther in the garden and teach the residents how to grow fruits and vegetables in the garden. Hopefully when they finally are able to leave, they will have learned enough to start their own little garden where they live or in a community garden plot.  The shelter gets all kinds of food donations from companies but they also used whatever was grown in the garden to help supplement the meals. A lot of the people never had a garden so they learned what it is like to work the soil.  They never heard of Victory Gardens.   It is great!  I am sure there are more places like this all over the USA.   

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

Hey @CindyLouWho1357, Congrats from another Master Gardener. (waves, gives big thumbs up)  That's a lot of work you've accomplished!

Thanks for posting about this. Smiley Happy

I went through the program some 30 years ago in northern California and (oddly enough) used that not only to benefit my own backyard garden, but to help farmers promote their wares via markets, street fairs and festivals.  Then I became a farmer myself. Smiley Happy

Anyway, learning about growing food is a good thing in my book. More people should go through this program.

Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Congrats! I am envious, but based on the great info you included, now will investigate here in Nevada, so thank you as well.

Great enjoyment to you in your new passion!

#VegasStrong

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Master Gardener learning and volunteer fun

Message 5 of 5

I DID IT! I graduated Master Gardener(MG) training class!!  It had been a goal of mine for many years - a "wanna do" from back in my working years.  

It wasn't as easy as I thought when I signed-up for the classes though.  First off, I had to be to class at 9 am - since being retired, I have lapsed back into my teen years natural preference of being a night owl.Woman Surprised The good news is that class was only once every other week - for 6 months duration.

The class I took had the largest registration(38 enrollees) of all time for the county of the area of which I live!  Granted, not all graduated class, but it was significant enough to indicate an upward trend that classes will now be offered beginning every year instead of every other year!  The class is an extension of the largest state university (Washington State for us), which is an added bonus, therefore allowing connection throughout the state with other Master Gardener's in other counties.  We also connect with the neighboring state of Oregon, whose climate is similar to our Evergreen state.

But the amazing learning opportunity is not all the fun!  Connecting with others who enjoy similar activities at Master Gardener community events; foundation meetings/monthly potlucks and more is only the beginning!

Once having completed the training class, to become a "veteran" MG, one needs to put in an additonal 90 hours of volunteer time over the next 2 years time.  Considering the MG presence at the county fair, in some of the local schools for garden & greenhouse building and management, additional learning opportunities: county and statewide symposiums and seasonal plant sales - the opportunities abound. 

Due to some of my physical limitations, I volunteer regularly by fostering 42 (for now, I'm going back for more Woman LOL) potted japanese baby maples upon my property of which the MG's grow for sale at their plant sales.  Watering them regularly and periodically re-potting them is a breeze!  And it's such a delight to see the little babies grow and begin to change color with fall approaching.

I'm also going to begin helping with the local MG Facebook page as another means to promote and connect with the community.

Master Gardener's can be found all across the country and offers so many opportunities for enjoyment.  So what are you waiting for - get out there and "get dirty" Woman LOLHeart

Kudos
Views
Replies