AARP Live takes your questions tonight about veterans benefits and scams. Join us at 10 p.m. ET on the RFD network.
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Lasting Loving Relationships

Message 21 of 27

The wife and I have been together for fortysix years now!  What keeps us together ? Lord only knows. In my eyes she is still as beautiful as the day I saw her at Sears and Roebuck. She worked Catalog and I just about did everythng from stock boy, carry out and paint sales. The first seven years we were married I think we were together myabe only a year. You see Viet Nam was going on and I Enlisted in the Navy. Was I  crazy? you bet! crazy  in love. The guys in the squadron called me a choir boy because when we hit the beach ( liberty) I always stayed true to my love. I'ld see chaseing the women and I just laughed.

After sea duty I found that if I wanted to stay with her I'ld have to change. I started paying attention to the thing she liked doing . From there I attemptd ( and still am ) to like the same things. We are together to this day so I must be doing something right.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 27

Communications, date nights, and humor are all great parts of our lasting relationship. Even all these years later we still whistle at each other and pinch the occasional "goose"! My husband can make me laugh so hard I can barely breath! We have found our strengths in the relation ship: I do finances, he cooks, we both clean. And, separate bedrooms! We still have plenty of intimate time but, boy, do we sleep differently. This keeps us from waking the other. Then we are less grumpy and more rested.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 27

My husband and I are together for 37 years and we are both 56. Compromise, unconditional love, working together on everything inside the marriage, thinking of the other person during your day and bringing home their favorite coffee or tea or snack. Little things mean alot. Being a team especially when raising children. Not expecting the woman to do all the house work or all the decisions on child rearing. Treating her as an equal not as a possession. Respect.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 27

I would have to add (to communicating well with each other) that it's also important for you and your partner to have interests and activities TOGETHER and SEPARATELY.  "Too much" together time can also be bad for a marriage/relationship.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 27

Communication (verbal not emails or texts) talk, touch and hold. No problem is too big to seperate anyone

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 27

My husband and I were friends before we were anything else. We laugh a lot together, we enjoy just hanging out with each other. We also share the same field of work, so when he comes home, complaing about something that happened at work, I totally understand. We also have each other's back. Always.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Lasting Loving Relationships

Message 27 of 27

What are the secrets of a close, lasting, loving relationship. If you have or had one yourself or know someone who does, please share.

Kudos
Views
Replies