You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: I was lonely until I joined the YMCA

Message 1 of 8

Way to go @supr3!  My husband and I joined our local YMCA when we both retired in 2016 and go at least 4-5 days a week.  I go to yoga 3 days a week, and we've started taking ballroom dance lessons there.  We have reconnected with old friends we hadn't seen in years and made many new friends.  I also enjoy seeing all the little children that pass thru as their parents drop them at the childcare facility.  The Y has definitely added to our quality of life in retirement.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

Thank You, I will try but I think that's why I have the SilverSneakers card.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8
I thought if you had an RX from your Dr. your insurance (medicare) would pay for it. Have you contacted your Dr. and medicare?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

I live in Putnam CT. I'm 61 disabled, I  pay for my suppliment for medicare and have a Silver Sneakers card. I have used this card to go to the Y in Southbridge Mass and St Pete FL. They built a big beautiful YMCA in town and I went to join and was told they did not take SilverSneakers at this time but check back in a few months, well it's been 3yrs and I am still unable to attend. I need pool therapy and there are no other pools in town that are clean and large enough to meet my needs. Shouldn't Y's have the same rules and allow the seniors and disabled to attend. I'm so happy for you and glad you get the excercise and socializing the Y offers.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

I joined my local YMCA last in February 2018, and it has changed my life.  We have an active social group that has coffee every morning and we do things outside the Y, which has been fun.  I highly reommend the Y.  I retired in 2017 and should have joined then, but it is never too late.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

My daughter has been urging me to go to exercise classes at the Y. She goes to the Y in her home town ---Lancaster, PA-- and here in Bethesda when she visits.

There is an exercise class at the Potomac Community Center that is a bit more appealing-- only 2 minutes from my home. There is still a third option that is supposed to have the best equipment-- the JCC on Montrose.

Maxine 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

Kudos to you @supr3 for giving something new a try and making the most of it!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

I was lonely until I joined the YMCA

Message 8 of 8

I suffer from depression, ( I am on med.s) and have some physical issues, but decided I would try to get up and try some form of exercise.  The local YMCA and a Water Zumba class on Mon, Wed & Fri mornings, so I thought I'd give it a try.  Well it's been almost a year now and it has been the best thing I've done!  There are about 15-18 people in the class, all of them so nice!!!  I have made some close friends out of 3 of them, having lunch at each others house.  Then there's a small group of us about 8 or so, who have coffee after class on Wednesdays.  Twice a year the whole class has lunch at a restaurant and twice a year the is a giant "Swap and Coffee" with nice things to pick from and a lot of socializing.  It really has been a wonderful social outlet as well as getting in shape, I've even lost 8 lb.s!  I love the YMCA and look forward to my swimming each time!  They even offer some other classes I take part in once in a while, but swimming is my favorite.

Kudos
Views
Replies