Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Favorite Feel-Good Recipe

Message 1 of 7

Honey Baked Ham!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

In an effort to keep our kids connected with ancestors, we always cook up some very old family recipes from my own grandparents who were from Sweden. We make a traditional bread/braid which has as a main ingredient the exotic spice Cardamom. Also cookie recipes from older family relatives. The girls have their own favorite recipes and rather than gifts, we work on keeping the traditional family recipes and foods from older relatives and traditions and make them at least once a year during the holiday period to share with friends who drop in for visits.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

Sweet potato pie

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

My mother's recipe for cheese torte!  It is rich tasting,creamy.  It doesn't take a lot of ingredients but  it does involve a little more work but it is well worth the effort!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

My Pepere's (grandfather's) Canadian pork stuffing. No one made it as well as my Pepere did and we looked forward to eating it every Thanksgiving and Christmas. I sat my Pepere down one day and asked him to give me the recipe, which he did, and which he dutifully recited for me. I still make it to this day but it will never taste as good as my Pepere made it. God rest his soul. My Mom is still with us, thank God, but she is in end stage renal failure. She looks forward to eating Pepere's stuffing made with my hands every year. I think I'll make a special batch just for her for New Year's day. I love and miss you, Pepere.

Pepere Marquis Gorton Stuffing

Ingredients

• 5 lbs. potatoes, peeled, boiled, and mashed
  • 2½ lbs. ground pork butts
  • ¼ tsp. nutmeg
  • ¼ tsp. ground cloves
  • ¼ tsp. cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp. allspice
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • ¼ tsp. black pepper
  • ¾ Tbsp. Bell’s seasoning
  • 1 onion

Preparation

Cook pork in water (just to cover) on simmer for 7-8 hours or on medium heat for 3-4 hours with a whole onion.

Add potatoes to pork and remaining water. Add all spices and mix thoroughly to a semi-smooth consistency.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

Although this is not a "holiday" meal, it is one of my most favorite:  smothered pork chops in gravy with white rice and most any kind of hot vegetable (i.e. corn, green beans, spinach, etc.).  The main thing is the pork chops must be tender, prepared and seasoned just so and that the gravy must be equally favorable, well seasoned, and without lumps.   Yum!

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Favorite Feel-Good Recipe

Message 7 of 7

What's the one favorite holiday dish or meal that evokes good memories for you?

Kudos
Views
Replies