Explore the possibilities of part-time work! Register today for AARP's online career expo Jan. 24.

Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: 89-Year-Old With 12 Children Gets Her Degree

Message 1 of 3

What a great story!  I went to an adult school back in the early 90's to update my job skills, and they also had a continuration school there for kids that wanted to get out of school earlier than their scheduled graduation.  They had a bulliten board there and they always had stories like this one.  There is a lot of people, especially men, who dripped out of school to go to war, then got married and had children and it wasn't until they were retired that they went back to school to get their high school diploma.  Some were just a few credits short and others had more to make up but they all completed their goal.  Some went on to college also.  I remember one story where there was a man that worked at a university as a janitor and while he was working there, he took one class at a time and eventually got his college degree.  All inspiring stories for the next generation to never give up because it is never too late to accomplish your goals!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: 89-Year-Old With 12 Children Gets Her Degree

Message 2 of 3

CONTRATULATIONS:  I am impressed at the tenacity and sacrifice that has been shown by this 89 year old woman. She helped her 12 children go through school and then has the energey to get a degree.  You are an inspiration to those of us who understand raising children and stil having the energy to continue your own education.  You are very special.  This has paved the ground work for your children and grandchildren.  They have the opportunity to see it can be done. 

Alexandria A
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

89-Year-Old With 12 Children Gets Her Degree

Message 3 of 3

Age didn't hold Ella Washington back. When she celebrates her 90th birthday soon, she'll be doing so as a college graduate. Read more...

Have you ever considered furthering your education later in life?

Kudos
Views
Replies