Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What ways are you keeping active?

Staying home has forced many of us to be creative about how we stay active. What are your tips for getting regular exercise and setting aside time to move while staying cool in the summer heat?  Share your pictures or tips

AARPTeri
Contributor

I have been doing Wii Fit exercises and Just Dance Wii games. Wii Fit has yoga, aerobics, balance and strength training exercises. I have added several exercise games to my program including the Just Dance series which are so much fun. This encourages me to get on Wii  everyday because the games and dances cause me to smile and laugh which is very much needed these days.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Getting regular exercise inside and out by riding my stationary bike inside, and doing side steps while listening to praise songs. I sometimes go out to the supermarket and walk through each of the isles looking to see what's on sale, this is good exercise, plus it's indoors, and it is safe, staying 6 feet apart from other people, and I also wear a mask.

My most healthy exercise and privilege is praying for others, and asking God for strength, wisdom, revelation, and receiving His mercy and grace for the day with thanksgiving in Jesus name.

Margreta Maple
Social Butterfly

@Margreta  What a great way to balance your mental, spiritual and physical health!  Love how you incorporate prayer for others throughout the day, and have gratitude for all that you have.

I take early walks with a commitment of at least 10,000 foot steps or up to 5 miles per day.  I also walk while working every chance I get.  If I need to to satisfy my goal for 10,000 steps I eat then go walking on my lunch break.  If unable to make it out the house in the morning then I also have free exercise training on YouTube that I do. 

Social Butterfly

@BeverleyB26276  Welcome to the on line community! Very impressed with your discipline, commitment and resourcefulness!

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

I get up early and make sure I do physical activities inside and outside as soon as I can such as making my bed daily shaking the entrance rugs sweeping the entrance porch and steps and the door and door jam making sure to remove spiderwebs ... I water my shrubs and flowerbeds early as well and any trimming or pruning of hedges I try to do before 12 noon 

I tap my pecan trees with a rolled up newspaper three times a week for twenty minutes each...I have two trees so as to increase the flow of nutrients from root to leaf ...I wipe down my blinds daily before opening them also ...

These extras help me keep my shoulders and hands actively in shape and help my breathing as well ... GoodThoughtsAlways 

Social Butterfly

@NellieW562221 Welcome to the online community!  Great to have you jumping right in with such a great response to a post.  Awesome daily routine and attitude.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Great service great staff 

0 Kudos
Contributor

While watching the morning news, I walk in place with two cans of vegetables in my hands.  I do leg lifts, raise my arms and step side to side.  At least  4 different routines 12 times each and then start over again if I have not reached 30 minutes.  Another way is I sit in a chair and raise my legs with knees bent for 7 times, 4 rounds, not forgetting to breathe and drink water as needed.  This way I have my morning news and exercise before starting my day. Being Good to Myself!!! Try It.  Its fun.   

Trusted Contributor

😊I learned about using the cans for beginners or if not having regular smartbells.

Perfect for weak, flabby me. I had been doing it alone without Hubby even knowing while he was watching sports on his tv in another room. Inevitably he finally saw me and what I was using for weights.😲"What on earth are you doing?" he exclaimed.

After explaining and proudly boasting that I had been doing it several times a week for a few weeks, he responded, "THAT isn't going to help you with anything! You need real weights to see results."

Soon after, sweetie that he (really, usually) is, surprised me with real weights.

I knew 8 lbs was too much. And after the 16-18 oz cans, I first used the lightest - 3 lbs.

He was proud to see me using them, but then said, "What? Only 3 lbs is not enough better than those silly cans."

So the next time, I tried the 5 lb one.

What happened?

I strained/sprained one of my shoulders!

So gave up to heal. But it took 2 months to improve and I never got back in the habit.

Thank You for the REMINDER!

Yesterday we helped his nephew clear out his house to move and I got plenty of exercise. (I didn't lift heavy, just carried small boxes of junk to the dumpster, emptied in and took back for the already-full next box.)

I have a note to myself to re-start Saturday or Sunday - with cans!

Peace, Love, Blessings, Health and Happiness

Social Butterfly

@cbjones54  Creative way to incorporate exercise into your life.  Really like how you are doing that.  Quick question, when you sit on your chair, do you lifting one leg at a time, or both together?

0 Kudos

My daughter is a nurse and works really hard and she put on some stress weight. She needs some stress relief. I’m 56 years old with multiple joint replacements.. Being home during Covid I put on some weight. The two of us meet in different parks and we walk together. It helps both of us and it gives us rare time together. We even take my service dog on walks too. So we walk between 1-3 miles, depending on the park and the weather. It is family time that we can share which makes it that much less work and more relaxing.

Social Butterfly

@firetroll13  Welcome to the on-line community!  Always glad to see a newbie join in on the posts.  It's terrific that you and your daughter have joined forces for a common good and can keep each other accountable.  All the best to your wellness goals!

Contributor

I live in Surfside so I walk to Publix, Post Office, Drug Store, etc. to the Ocean and I always doing something on the apartment so I don't sit all day and watch TV.  

Social Butterfly

@nancyvp34 So great that everything is nearby including the ocean.  That's awesome!  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have tried something new to me, but it’s not new to others. I have been grounding or earthing. It’s where you go barefooted in the grass, dirt, sand, etc.. You can also get a grounding or earthing mat, sheet or bracelet to use indoors. I have rheumatoid arthritis. For the past few months, my pain has been so bad that I haven’t been able to do much at all. My feet and ankles are my biggest problem. Well, I’m on day 4 of grounding or earthing, and the inflammation has vanished. I don’t know what to think of it really. I’m kind of shocked. I’m hoping and praying that this isn’t just a fluke, and that if I keep grounding, the inflammation will stay away. Weather permitting, I will start going back to the pool at the Y and walk

around the pool with my water weights for a couple of hours each day. This helped me last summer before my arthritis really got bad, maybe it will help me again. 

Social Butterfly

@MoniqueC312559 

Interesting thanks for sharing 

I have no idea what your talking about so it'd be new to me also but I'm going to research it & find out more

Thanks

Have a beautiful day 

Ginger  ;  )

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Has anyone on here tried those special "cooling towels" that supposedly keep you cooler in the summer heat ?

THANKS for the help

Social Butterfly

@franceshd 

Hi Frances

Yes I have several different brand types

They work well for me

1st one brought years ago (frogg-Dick's) dries up stiff the others: EnduraCool(bbbeyond)&  Sukeen(amazon) are soft when dry I have used Endura - pink polka dotted most Amazon sells many brands & multiple colors lots with pouches & clips to attach to backpacks & such

Just soak in cold water squeeze out then yank/shake them from opposite corners. I usually wear/tie around my neck & can wipe sweating face with it. 

Great for walking and staying cool at granddaughters ballgames & outdoor  activities

I tend to stay 'HOT'🥵 & Sweaty year around

After use rinse well & hang to dry then back into pouches 

Hope this helps

Ginger  ;  )

Trusted Contributor

😃Thank You sooo muchhh for the suggestions

And including brands and extra details 

Also like your sign-off

Peace, Love, Blessings, Health and Happiness !

Social Butterfly

@gm5271 Great tips, thank you!

Recognized Social Butterfly

Mind my Business and drink water 

Racquel Evans
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I excercise outside so I can jump into the pool as soon as I’m done.

Trusted Contributor

I put on my sunblock,drink a lot of water and ride my bike.I'm used to hot weather,so have no problem riding 35 miles on my bike,in any weather.On the really hot days I ride down to the beach,which is usually 10 degrees cooler than inland.I think bicyling is better than running,in heat,due to the better ventilation you get from air moving faster over your skin.Some sunblocks work better than others.I've noticed some sunblocks seem to make my skin wetter than others,not evaporating the sweat.Even if I stop a few times to drink,still end up losing 4-5 lbs from ride.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Still walking/running about 2 miles, 6 days a week in the early morning before the heat hits.  Then it's working in the garden, feeding animals (goats, chickens and dogs), and cleaning house.  Just cleaned the swimming pool of winter dirt, leaves, and dead frogs so we'll start swimming in the afternoon.  Then we collapse!

Periodic Contributor

When COVID locked us all down I was dancing to Motown at home to stay in shape.  However, when the weather got nicer I started driving to Jones Point every morning at 7 am and I would speed walk for about 1 1/2 hours.  Then I decided to start a Meet Up Group and before I knew over 550 people joined.  Try pleasing 550 Walkers on locations and times/days of walking events!! I asked for volunteers to be co-organizers I received one, he wanted to teach everyone how to play volleyball, ok but I thought this was a Walking Group but I was ok with it at least he offered.  During this heatwave people want to Walk at 3:00, 4:00, 5:00 pm, I finally said have it.  All my walks are scheduled in the morning before 8 am as I don't feel like dying from heat stroke anytime soon.  We walk Burke Lake, Lake Accotink, Lake Mercer and Jones Point.  I do my weight training at Planet Fitness 4 days a week.

Social Butterfly

@mthompson45 Your Meet Up group sounds terrific!  It's awesome that you took the initiative, saw a need and filled it! Very cool.😎 Hope you continue to have regular walkers and can find some that will "step up" ( sorry for the pun ) and help with leadership.

My husband and I recently went back to the gym and Zumba a few times a week and love it.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I use AARP fitness videos, especially Bryant Johnston and Lorraine Ladish (tysvm AARP for access to these!).

Anyone can find a great daily routine using the AARP videos!

#WearAMask

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Community Concierge

@WebWiseWoman Thanks for sharing! We are glad to hear that you're benefiting from our content 🙂

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP