Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What ways are you keeping active?

Staying home has forced many of us to be creative about how we stay active. What are your tips for getting regular exercise and setting aside time to move while staying cool in the summer heat?  Share your pictures or tips

AARPTeri
Conversationalist

I take walks or ride my bike in the cool, cool, cool of the evening and then come home and obsessively track that day's route on Google maps to see how far I've gone each day. 

I really miss my gym; it closed for renovations in October 2019 and the pandemic seems to have put a stop to any progress on the work there. I don't even know if it will reopen at all now.

The location that Corporate shunted all us members to is about seven miles away, and then the pandemic closed that place last year for quite a while. It's since reopened...but it's still seven miles away.

I have weights in my garage and do my best to work out for about a half-hour each morning, but it's not the same as working out in an actual gym โ€” in a real gym there's a thousand annoyances to really get my blood pumping!

Regular Social Butterfly

Missing the gym, got that! Check out AARP Videos especially Bryant Johnston; he does separate and holistic exercises that will get you back "out" to your gym, but at home! Pls check it out!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
Contributor

I will, and thank you!!!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Will do. Thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

With the coronavirus issue, I let my fitness center membership lapse. I was walking on some days for about a mile or so, but that became less and less often as time went by. I still had to clear snow in the colder months and mow the lawn and such, but that's not regular exercise.

This spring, my brother and I started talking about electric bikes after I had been looking at maybe getting an electric scooter. He found Himiway bikes, which seemed to be superior to just about anything else for the money and even some that cost much more. I ordered one and he ordered one for himself a few days later.

Between fun and the electric boost when I need it, that gets me out of the house for a few miles around the neighborhood just about every day.

Compared to some other ways to exercise, some might think an electric bike is expensive. Compared to other ways, it's quite reasonable.

I say, whatever gets you off your duff and moving out the door is certainly a step in the right direction.

Stay well and enjoy!

-Lynn

Contributor

I used to run FREE laughter social clubs in my community and travel to distant places to share my laughter exercise programs with clients but since the pandemic forced me to stay home and away from in-person contact, I needed to reinvent my community work and business. Nothing was going to stop me from socializing and laughing online. Thanks to technology, I was able to build up my laughter connections with strangers, friends and family virtually and from all over the world. I was able to share recordings of laughter sessions with people homebound and feeling isolated.  My zoom sessions proved that even though we are not in the same room, we can still feel each other's energy level rise and the stress disappear with the Laughter Yoga (laughter exercises, yogic breathwork and meditation). It has been a learning experience and a joy to help so many people of all ages and backgrounds (school kids, frontline healthcare workers, therapists, social workers, corporate groups, recovery groups , senior living communities and others) manage anxiety and frustration through laughter and also to become more joyful, playful and hopeful in the process.

My mother lives in Europe and we end our phone calls with laughter. It's a great way to end the call and softens my pain from not being able to see her for so long. 

Alexa Drubay
Gold Conversationalist

We walk two miles each day the weather is not abominable.   We attend online church each Sunday and shop about once  a week for groceries.  We can stock up on most things but need fresh produce and dairy about once a week.   I've been cleaning out shelves, drawers, closets, garage and attic.  I'd like to say I've finished but it's a huge project to excavate thirty years in this house and over fifty years of marriage accumulation, not to mention the previous two generations' things that have ended up with me.  I've been selling things I'm not overly attached to online in preparation for an eventual move to The Home.  Unfortunately no one at The Home who is in an independent living cottage is budging.  I don't blame them.    

Contributor

I recently started an online yoga program.  I found a good instructor who gently walks you through the process of integrating yoga into your daily life.  It is challenging but rewarding.  One of the advantages of doing it at home is the ability to rewind and repeat any instructions that you didn't quite get, and there is no pressure to keep up with a group. You only need to show up on the mat and give it a try. The stretches and breathing exercises have been beneficial, and will help with other activities. I take more breaks from working on my computer and stretch every chance I get. I look forward to adding some AARP exercise videos to my daily routine.

Periodic Contributor

Hello:

Keeping me active is daily Yoga exercise, dancing to old records at home. (smile)

PC work, watching church services on Zoom. And cleaning out closets & cabinets.  Also writing a Bio book.

Would like to know how to get modeling jobs for senior publications, like the AARP magazine.  Please share any info that might be helpful to me in this area.

Thank You!

Sandara Dev/C.Service@att.net

Contributor

I walk for 30 minutes a day, then do the exercises from at least 4 of the AARP exercise videos daily. 

Contributor

My husband and I walk everyday and I do Zumba online.

Contributor

I've started walking 5 times a week with a minimum of 2 miles every day.  Recently started doing Tai Chi Easy on-line as a meditation tool.

Contributor

I have two young 70+ pound dogs that keep me active with play and walks.

I have always been active by going to the gym. With the gym's closed with the quarantine-I have had to figure out what to do to get my bpm up' by walking in my neighborhood for at least 3 miles. And now I have purchased 5 and 10 lb weights to do curls 3 x 10 reps and also lunges with 3 x 10 reps. I am hoping to use a balance ball to do crunches. Anything to keep myself active.

Trusted Contributor

My apartment complex is just 2 sets of quadplexes so we interact a bit accidentally as well as intentionally. Our youngest neighbor is 7 and likes the outdoors and being active there. I've taught how to use the garden hose and tend to some flowers, feed birds, and fill a bird bath. He doesn't do much on his own, but if I start these tasks, he often joins in. We socialize, take care of the environment, and get some activity. 

Contributor

Well they say it takes a village to raise a child๐Ÿ‘God bless ya-Jean indiana 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I use my exercise DVD and take short walks.  I also read and do word puzzles

I joined a gym for the New Year and since the virus the gym has closed.  I take walks each morning and wear my mask in case there are other walkers  I live in an over 55 community so we all need to take care.  I have found Silver Sneaker classes on my computer and use these classes to help me keep fit during this sheltering in.  Anyone can access this if you are an AARP member and it is fun and you can get someone to watch it with you if you choose.  Everyone needs to take care of themselves during this epidemic.

Contributor

love to walk  since everything is bacisly closed I park my car after long day with patients then walk to mailbox but take the long way  around the block 

Contributor

I take the long way to the mailbox too.
Contributor

My daily activities are spending 1 hour cleaning out my closet, taking a 30 minute walk outside, go on short walks with my dog several times a day. I do 5 of AARP's exercise videos each day. I make dinner for myself. I'm keeping up with my housework along with some decluttering. I feel much better with the activities that I'm accomplishing every week. It's working!

Contributor

I've been feeling so stressed so i've tried different things to help keep me calm like meditating and yoga. I've also been talking early morning walks to get in more exercise. 

Contributor

I still work part-time in home health care. On the days I am not working,

we have a rental property and a fixer-upper that keep us actively "working out" (one unit is on the 3rd floor, and the other is a 2-story home), as well as maintaining our yard, and loading and unloading the debris from all three. No downtime for us, we can still make things work, as there are no restrictions on working at our own properties. We also have a 4-year old who keeps us busy and active when we aren't working on anything else. 

Contributor

During my time staying at home , my exercising is done differently because of my local Y being closed. Living in a one room apartment also has its challenges. So i use my kettle bells while listening to one or a few favorite songs. I also do 15-20 minutes of sitting exercises while i am my desk. i also follow some videos on you tube , for some cardio later in the afternoon. i also take time to read more , phone family & keep in touch. This is a challenging time for everyone but remaining active is very important. Keep safe & do your best to follow the restrictions. Be well !! this won't last forever !! 

I am really enjoying spending time with my college aged children. We exercise together, go for walks, and learn silly dances. We hung a bird feeder and have done some yard work. We enjoy looking for healthy recipes and cooking. It is bonus time with them for me.

Contributor

I keep pretty busy. Here's the rundown: I try not to go out so I limit that to one day and do necessary food shopping, hardware store, and banking if needed. I have a lot of gardening projects and just finished planting and mulching. I do a little pastel painting throughout the week. I have some play time with our pet parrot- a double yellow headed amazon, plus clean his cage twice a day. I make three meals a day for my husband and myself, and the bird, and generally do the cleanup as well. I am online doing continuing education for two licenses that I hold, medical lab and veterinary technician. I check my emails every day and try to clean up old emails, and it's a LOT. I have done a few virtual visits to museums around the country. Every day I am on AARP to earn points for rewards and read some of the newsletters, and at the end of the day, I do some exercises for my posture and watch one or two of the 10-minute exercise videos on the AARP site. I am excited tonite as there are a few new videos. That's it for me!

Hi,

I work with a non-profit delivering food in the area. We are on a farm so there is a lot of walking, bending and lifting. We are crating, prepping, moving, storing, delivering and picking up. Its pretty much nonstop and standing unless driving one of the trucks or the mobile market. And its mostly out of doors.

Sometimes after work when the weather is nice (or not), I will walk home after my first bus

Contributor

I always start my day with a brisk walk.   This daily routine of walking first think in the morning insures,  I get it done. It also sets the pace for the rest of the day.  And I find starting the day with an activityusually makes the rest day more active. And for me being active helps to make  the shelter in place easier to cope  with. 

Contributor

I agree, a great way to start your day. I'm not a morning person when it comes to getting a workout in, accept on the weekends. And normally, I have to be meeting up with someone. I make sure to write out a "Things to Do" List every night before I go to bed. Workout is always on there. No matter what I have going on, I make sure I get an hour at the minimum.If I have to miss a day, I program in a 2 a day, or do extra the day before my miss. I found that to be a comforting routine before bed. I don't have to think about what I need to get done the next day, I just navigate through the list. Without it, my mind can be all over the place. 

JHW3
Contributor

I have been walking 3 - 4 miles a day. Mixed in a couple of 6 milers. Beginning next week, I will get back out on my bike and spin for an hour, alternating days with my walking. I have encouraged a friend to walk with me enhancing the experience with thought provoking conversation.

JHW3
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP