Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What ways are you keeping active?

Staying home has forced many of us to be creative about how we stay active. What are your tips for getting regular exercise and setting aside time to move while staying cool in the summer heat?  Share your pictures or tips

AARPTeri
Contributor

home repairs, gardening and walks

Cleaning cleaning cleaning provides great exercises and stretching and we donโ€™t usually donโ€™t do. So along with cleaning behnd and under the couch, dusting windows picture frames and cleaning out the cabinets. With this we have found that we are running out of sanitation wipes here is the solution buy a bag of baby wipes and mix ยฝ cup watch too cap full of bleach place the wipes in an old sanitation bottle or plastice bag, mix the mixture and start finishing those streching exercises.

Contributor

I am always busy in and around the house like feeding and giving medications to my cats. It is a full time job at home. It is a must to keep the cats healthy all the time. 

I walk a lot everyday. I am busy cooking for the family everyday. I am always active exercing my body and mind: I am a very happy man..

Super Contributor

For those folks who live in aparment complexes or condos, there's hundreds of exercise videos on AARP or Youtube. You'll eventually find something you enjoy doing. If you have a partner, dance! If you don't have a partner, dance! And for heaven's sake, walk your dog! (I understand now why they're so excited about getting to go someplace!)

For those who have back yards, dust off, or go buy a Croquet set. Set up a net and play volleyball, or badmitton. Walmart has all these in their sports section. They cost about the same as an exercise DVD.  If you have a small shed, get the kids/grandkids off the computer, and get yourself off the TV couch to play "Annie Annie Over" with the volleyball. Or Tag, or Hide And Seek. See if you can dig up a Hula Hoop somewhere.  These are all fun and provides a lot of exercise to boot. We've found that this also helps to create a positive family atmosphere - good for our mental health. 

We also rake up grass clippings, pick up branches and sticks that the wind has blown off the trees, started an indoor and outdoor garden, including a little herb patch in an old whiskey barrel, and walk long distances, looking for Morel mushrooms.  

There's no shortage of inexpensive ways to stay active. The key is to get up and start moving!

0 Kudos

I am keeping active because I find it helps keep my mental attitude more positive.  I am walking my dog in the morning and afternoon.  I also bike outside or on my trainer in the garage - depending on the weather, or use the elliptical trainer.  I do strength training exercises every other day.  Because of a bad knee, I am meeting with a physical therapist via Zoom on a weekly basis to work on strenghthening the muscles around my knee.

0 Kudos
Contributor

When the weather is above freezing, I walk outside in the neighborhood, about 2 miles distance (having a mask to put on whenever I meet others). Also I've found an on-line Silver Sneakers half hour exercise video and a local hour-long video that I try once a week from a local yoga instructor.  So far, it's kept off extra weight that house-bound status could bring!

Kathryn M.

0 Kudos

I am keeping my routine of waking early.  I take my walk at about 6:30am.

There's plenty of computer work to be done and spring cleaning, re-organizing.  

I may even be able to catch up on a few projects and am now able to connect with my crochet group via face time.  As well, riding the UTV in the forest areas gets us outside with an activity to do together.  Exercise is part of my routine, and has become more so with the adjustments.  I use the stepper, ball, other small equipment, and the wii.  It's hard for many to not gain weight during this stay home period, but I am trying to avoid that with early walks, activities at home and which are safe, and exercise. 

0 Kudos

I try to walk early and before the majority of the residents do and so far it's been good. Very few neighbors walk before 6:00am - 6:30am which leaves me plenty of time and not having to worry about some people who don't practice the 6' safe zone.

AARP Kevin L

0 Kudos

Exercising by singing and dancing which is always a huge amount of fun. Playing with my little grandson who is constantly on his toes. Gardening. 

Anything I can to keep myself from being bored. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Going for walks around our community and taking the time to spruce up the outside of our home.  It is grass cutting season now and it's nice to see the lush green grass again!!!

0 Kudos

Taking daily walks around my neighborhood while keeping my distance from others. Reorganizing and cleaning my home. Trying to find ways to put myself to good use in helping my neighbors when I can. 

0 Kudos

Each morning I write an entry in my journal which I began to write about a week ago. This journal starts on March 11, 2020 when my husband and I began to feel symptoms of something.  

Once that is done I do a spiritual reading and will do some more writing on my genealogy project or writing letters or reading my emails.

I will do some cleaning like closets. All is done before I come downstairs to eat and cook dinner.  While the food is cooking I may make some calls while I exercise on a cycle my daughter brought to the house that she usually uses under her desk in her office at work.  

Once we have eaten our dinner we sit to watch TV. I watch while I read the paper, a magazine, or a novel. 

Since this "lockdown" my husband and I watch movies into the early mornings and sleep until late. 

0 Kudos

The everyday "musts" of life keeps me moving and free of boredom. We build snowman and have snowball fights "fun", or whatever the proper current terminology is ๐Ÿ™‚ The next day we gather sticks and make our withering Frosty into an art project. We walk and say hi to many animal friends. Everyday games of Hide and Seek, running after a toddler for anything and everything that needs doing, and the endless time outs all result in some very overworked muscles, (no gym or 35 lb plus weights needed)! Activity has never been the issue, but how to meditate, relax or sleep are some issues parents or grandparent "parents" of very active toddlers have a tougher time addressing. If you are a single parent, or feel like one, then you can probably relate that keeping active is a way of life. The quickest way to get active is to "unplug" and rent an over active toddler, if you are not lucky enough to already have one or more Lol ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Contributor

I walk 3 plus miles each day.

The dishes are washed and put away each day as well as mop the floor.

The bed is made up everyday after getting out of it.

I line dance from a DVD which I purchased online.

I walk back and forth on my deck each day, in addition to the 3 plus miles that I walk, for more vitamin D intake and energy.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I go to the mailbox and back and on nice day play with my granddaughter 

0 Kudos

Walking. Brought out the Wii

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm walking outside 10,000 to 15,000 steps every day!  I also purchased two sets of dumbbells in order to continue my weight training

0 Kudos
Contributor

I live in Pine tree country.  Many pine cones fall onto my driveway and yard.  Consequently, I complete squats to pick the pine cones up.  I easily can complete 5 sets of 10 every day. Personally, I think I need to move.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Everyday (weather permitting) I walk my two dogs around the block (one mile).  And everyday I do Denise Austin's 10 minute Abs and Arms workout as a warm up to a 30minute Jillian Michaels' workout.  I find if I get at least this much exercise most days I feel better and sleep great!  Some days I also do all or part of some of the other exercise tapes on AARP's site while I am earning points!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've been taking a walk a couple of times a day. I live in a rural area so I'm able to keep my distance. Actually, I walk in the woods so I never see anyone. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

We live in a small village  so we take a walk around  it everyday that we can.

0 Kudos

I decided to walk around the neighborhood (for exercise) and just to get out and get fresh air.  Of course, I wear my mask and It's usually early in the morning so it's not many people out.  I feel so much better, mentally and physically.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Waking between the front couch and the back room area.

0 Kudos

Hello Everyone! 

I am a retired teacher. I taught in three states in the Northwest and all grade levels. I have a number of students during my 35 years of teaching who are Facebook Friends. I asked them all to give me a call and I would love to tell each of them the special things I remember about them.  Talking on the phone has been a great way to connect with my beloved students.

My former coworkers and I are reaching out to each other via phone. That has been very nice because we had a lot of catching up to do. We shared tears of joy and sorrow! 

Recently, I made Florida my state of residence. I had hoped to sign up for volunteet work but the top organizations I want to be a part of are not in full operation at this time.

I love to sing songs related to my past, present, and future. I love to bake goodies that meet requirements of my autoimmune diet.

I love to take 2 walks each day. I bought a new bike and have fun getting a good cardio workout. I appreciate AARP's short workouts to do in our homes. I have been catching up with reading books that have been on my bookshelves for a number of years.

I am feeling optimistic that we will be able to resume our lives in public. Be safe everyone!

DAILY HIKES WITH MY DOG! SHE LOVES IT! AND ITS KEEPING ME SANE!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Even when the wind blows cool, getting outside and spring cleaning my yard. Fruit trees trimmed. Flower beds ready to go. Now just the lawn to do!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello

I went thru the process of Gardening , yardwortk, flowerbeds, and just today I signed up as Citizen Archivist at National Archives - thru AARP Online Volunteer Transcripter program.

I hope to do a good job.

Narendranath S. Murthy
0 Kudos
Contributor

I walk around a golf course every day. I ride a exercycle every other day. My wife and I have put together a to do list chart of home things that need doing and who will do it and the completion date. 

These tasks force us to be active. Keeping active seems to  clear the cobwebs of the forced confinement.

Richard C 

0 Kudos
Contributor

The best activity EVER invented......."ENJOYING" my husband of 30 years!...My doctor always says its the BEST excercise, its a ton of FUN and its FREE. ...WIN WIN

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Am so walking 2x a day Great way to shred tension and the shackles of stress!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP