Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What ways are you keeping active?

Staying home has forced many of us to be creative about how we stay active. What are your tips for getting regular exercise and setting aside time to move while staying cool in the summer heat?  Share your pictures or tips

AARPTeri

Taking longer walks. Taking more frequent walks. Also I volunteer to take neighbors dogs for walks. I'm using and old pilates at home workout as well. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

# We Love Exerciseing at All Types Of Cool Parks Weather Permid. Also Do Things Around The House Like Supper Clean, Fix Things in The Basement, Paint, and Play Games Like TEXAS HOLD' EM Soo Cool as Well as Fun Too. and Shop Here and There.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have fallen in love with the AARP Denise Austin videos. I do one after the other until I reach a thirty minute workout. The exercises are kind to my RA and I'm entertained while sheltering in. 

Wearing arm and ankle weights during the day.  It makes all my movements pay off a little more.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've been using an app - Daily Yoga - off and on for several years.  I beefed up my usage especially for the one you can do at night to help sleep. For some aerobic I've been doing a couple days bicycle riding for 6 minutes on "the cruiser" bike at the highest gear. Gets the heart going and the lower body pretty well worked out.

I have a friend doing his cycling indoors.  So for those of you joining him, give your rides a catchy name for more fun.  His is Tour de Kitchen and after 9 days he was in the lead. 

I always know it's time to exercise when I get too tired! 

To Your Health

0 Kudos

I have been working hard to get in 10,000 steps per day.  Walking outside has made it alot easier.  Happy that the weather has been better and the snow has melted again.

0 Kudos

Heart binge watching Netflix on Saturday and Sunday. Monday -Friday working out of the office.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I had fallen away from my power walking/racewalking routine so I had made a resolution to get back on the trail, I found I still needed more incentive.  I found a racing club on line and they are having virtual races with shirts, bibs and medals.  We walk on our own route and then post our mileage and time this is just the incentive I needed.  I also saw on TV a man who  virtually scaled Everest by walking the stairs in his home.  This intrigued me so I decided to do it too.  I plotted out the height of Mount Hood in Oregon, measured my stair rise and figured how many flights I needed to walk to scale this majestic mountain.  I hope to reach the summit before too long.  A great incentive for me and keeps me active.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Walking around the block and doing a little gardening each day keeps me healthy.  On rainy days I make large batches of soup.  Freeze in contains for quick dinner 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Being active has always been a part of my day so when our rec. center closed  and I could no longer attend my daily exercise classes I knew I had to come up with a way to continue to exercise all muscle groups. I have continued to be able to walk 3 miles a day with my sister so I continue to get at least 10,000+ steps on my FitBit each day. As far as classes, I put together a variety of workouts from the AARP site to work out an additional 60 minutes a day. Some of my favorites are total body toning, cardio sculpting, upper body workout and abs and arms. There are so many 10 minute workouts to choose from, with a lot of variety, that I find it easy and enjoyable to get  in a good workout each day!

Contributor

I have a larger than usual interest in things compared to the average... that I always can be busy for 10 hrs out of each day. Since I've had a Fitbit for 3 years I always wondered while doing chores, how can I make it count for activity..we have a treadmill but for me, I wouldn't be able to do the chores at the same time.  SO one of the chores- laundry, I can turn into 7-  30 min activities...can you figure out how that can be done... Oh and.lost 40 lbs too to date.

I start my day with the ten minute mind meditation then I do Denise Austin two or three video exercise videos, eat healthy, use my kettlebells and each night do yoga. I stream concerts and listen to Leonard Cohen hallelujah for inspiration.

my husband and I have boxing gloves so we do Cumbria boxing for exercise.

i am trying really hard to keep active and do virtual weight watcher meetings.

quarantine can be depressing if you let it,so I don’t let it

TG

0 Kudos
Contributor

Take a walk daily in our city park.  It's great exercise and you will always feel energized afterwards!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

During this time of social distancing I've been gardening and caring for our land. Our two steer are hilarious to watch and encourage them to play. In doing so I'm walking the acre of land dedicated to a large garden and the feeding pasture for the steer.

Prepping the garden has been fabulous opportunities to stretch, dig and how the soil. 
With gardening comes tending to the large trees. Yesterday my guy and I dug out dolphining tree roots, which entailed swinging and axe and digging out 5" diameter roots.

The household stairs have become my nemisis as I see how many reps I can do during commercials.

Stay healthy everyone! Eat clean! Be safe!

0 Kudos
Contributor

With the weather getting more mild, I get out for a morning walk each day.  Even have my college age daughter getting up early to joing me!

0 Kudos
Contributor

It's Really hard  But I use a balance ball chair a lot (helps your core), and I try to walk, and/or dance when I can around the yard, or work in muscle tightening exercises when I'm doing the laundry.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have been a treadmill walker for many years, so that has not changed. I choose a streaming program and watch it while I walk. If I find something particularly engaging, I will walk even longer because I am so engrossed in it (which is a bonus). Since it's springtime it is a perfect opportunity to do extra cleaning, like laundering drapes, which both keep me active and get the house cleaner. Being retired it's easy to put things off for another day, so I decided that I must perform at least one moderate task a day. That is working for me.

Contributor

Find your tightest fitting clothes and put them on everyday before going to the fridge. 

Regular Contributor

Best answer - first laugh had in a while!
0 Kudos
Contributor

An idea to share:  Now is a great time to intentionally set aside some time to pick up the MANY pieces of litter that have been tossed out along road sides, beaches, parks, stop signs and more.  Get your exercise in while helping to get AMERICA MORE BEAUTIFUL.  Put on some comfy shoes and clothes, pack a light weight back pack with a bottle of water, snack, gloves, trash bags and a litter grabber if you have one (Dollar Tree sells them) and start walking.  My daughter, her friend and I walked along a main road near our home and picked up alot of litter.  Dropped some of the litter off at a recyle bin and pulled the pop tabs off to take to Ronald McDonald House.  Once we got to the end of our destination, which was at a QT, we went inside for a potty break and the girls got ice cream.  Then made the walk back home and picked up some more litter.

Regular Contributor

Love your picking up litter. I've been doing this for years on my walks. The very small pieces of plastic are especially harmful to wildlife. I've also been picking up cigarette butts. But now with the virus around, I've stopped picking up trash due to fear of infection. And I'm being tight fisted with the small supply of disposable gloves I have. If the trash appears to have been there a while, I'll go ahead and pick it up, but otherwise, no. With the cigarette butts, I can't tell how fresh they are and they've been stuck in people's mouths. Please, smokers, it's bad enough we have to clean up behind you, but now it's risky to do, so will you please make sure your trash is properly disposed of? 

Stacie, you're awesome for doing this!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have a grabber gizmo for getting stuff from my top shelf, I've been using it to collect sm-med trash on walks. Then I spray it down and leave it outside to dry.
0 Kudos

I have been using my indoor exercise bike and outside raking when the weather permits as it is still chilly and snowing off and on here.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

For us, it's easy because we have a 8 acre place and we've been working our tails off on the property. There's also a Rails to Trails bike path directly in front of our property, but it's officially closed. Even so, there are loads of people out there regularly. To them, I say be careful. It's just about impossible to keep 6' apart when passing others on the trail. Plus, those running or biking are breathing harder, and I've read that people should keep 10' to 20' away from those doing heavier exercise. I only go at odd times, and often have to go into the woods off the trail to stay clear of others. They never leave the trail to avoid me; I'm always the one to keep us all safe by doing so. They look at me like I'm nuts. This is a rural area and folks aren't taking the crisis very seriously. Hope it works out for them, and that they don't expose others who are trying to stay safe.

0 Kudos

My 14 yr old daughter has been waiting for years to try out for lacrosse at the high school she will be going to next year.  I ordered a lacrosse rebounder for her so she could practice in the backyard.  She has been practicing like crazy and now asks me to join her!  So now I get to spend time with my daughter and get exercise!  We both walk the dog together now too so I can keep up with her!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Just try to get outside and walk 15-30 minutes a day. Just breathing fresh air helps keep the "stir crazy" away.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I set a regular time for my outside daily walk....3:00 p.m.  since we're still having chilly weather, that is usually the warmest time of the day, and by setting a time, I plan my schedule accordingly, and my walk is part of my daily routine.

Nana51
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

We have had an extremely wet March and April so I have been very grateful for the AARP rewards exercise videos. On the days when it's pouring outside it's really wonderful to just put on a video and exercise along with Denise Austin. When I'm really tired there are even videos where you can sit in a chair and still exercise! I participate at least five days a week. I also like earning the reward points so that I can treat myself to a little something extra every month.

0 Kudos

I have a couple of aps on my phone for yoga and planks. I enjoy these  and it  took a few tries to locate ones which meshed with me.

0 Kudos
Contributor

In my 60's. Live in the country. Instead of using riding mower I'm using push mowerAll that walking and fresh air

Is Absoultly Healthy

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP