Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What ways are you keeping active?

Staying home has forced many of us to be creative about how we stay active. What are your tips for getting regular exercise and setting aside time to move while staying cool in the summer heat?  Share your pictures or tips

AARPTeri
Regular Contributor

Each day after thanking God for his goodness-

*I make it a routine to work in my garden

** Rake & clean the pathways to my home

*** Breathe fresh air each chance I get since it helps me to think clearly 

**** Positivity can be advantageous to us all -a helpful reminder that this too shall pass!

Boddy C
Contributor

Many walks and exercise in den to AARP and Silver Sneakers videos.. Home cooking.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I take walks.   I also do yard work.   And cook.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I seem to notice the dustiness of my house more and so I am cleaning more.  I never had a cleaning schedule before.  I also work in the yard.  We've lost 3 pine trees to beetles in the past few years and the small bushes have taken over.  So I am working, very slowly, on getting the area prepared for new trees.I also have dreams of eventually adding an arbor swing to the hill behind our house.  My husband and I used to walk at Sam's losing our excuses about weather, but now we walk outside and enjoy seeing how beautiful spring is this year.

In short, I'm making our home a nicer place to be.  I think the best advice I've heard is to remember that we are choosing to safely shelter in place.  It is like choosing to enjoy a vacation place.

I hope that everyone stays safe and healthy.

0 Kudos

My daughter spent a semester abroad in Australia this past winter. While she was there she used an Aussie app to stay fit. She is currently home here in Northern Virginia.  Like many students she is taking her current semester on line.

We have incorporated the App into our daily walk. We located a church parking lot that is currently unused. Yesterdays exercise's included a deck of cards and a game of 52 pick up. 

We did certain exercises to the designated suits. The reps were based on the numbers on the cards. It was hard and entertaining.

We are staying strong and creating memories. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I normally like to walk outside, however the weather has been cold and it has been raining.  I put on my Motown Music and start dancing, sometimes I keep it on for a good 4 to 5 hours and start cleaning the house or packing things up for "Purple Heart".  It not only helps me physically but it helps me mentally because I stop worrying about the Virus, children, financial issues and anything else that has me concerned.  I belly laugh a lot because my husband gives me these strange looks and for some reason I can't stop laughing when he gives them to me.  

***WINNING POST FOR WEEK 3****  You will be contacted via private message and email.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

MORE SEX

0 Kudos
Contributor

We are taking daily walks in our community (differnt routes each day) and exploring our neighborhood.  Our parks and beaches are closed and we are under a stay at home order except for exercise and essential shopping.  So our gyms are closed.  We walk an hour a day and hae been on streets we have never been on the whole time we have lived here.  In addition, our senior center is streaming one fitness class daily - we do this on bad weather days. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I start each morning with stretching and meditation,then abreakfast.After breakfast I head out for a bit of fast walking. When weather permits some yard work and when weather doesn't co-operate I do some house cleaning

0 Kudos
Contributor

I started yoga and meditation first thing in the morning. I take more walks and I am learning to do my college classes online

0 Kudos
Contributor

My dogs are keeping me active.  We go to the park daily.  This helps me get out of the house.  The dogs thoroughly enjoy it.  Also my gym has Zoom classes everyday from  yoga to dance.  That helps.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am a fitness enthusiast and belong to four gyms.  Since the gyms are currently closed, I still continue to workout daily.  All of my gyms have offered free on demand videos with a vast variety of classes.  Through the gyms, they also offer live zoom classes with the instructors.  Some of the fitness directors from the gyms are also posting daily workouts to do on your own.  So, I have many options and each day I do live zoom classes, on demand videos and/or daily posted workouts.  I have converted my garage to my gym and have my own equipment (step/bench, weights, mats, etc.) to use during the workouts.  I also walk, run and ride my bike in the neighborhood.  So, every day I spend a couple of hours in the morning doing a combination of cardio, strength and stretching activities.  It's almost as good as being at the gym.  It also gives you the flexibility to select the classes you want to do instead of following the schedule at the gyms.

0 Kudos
Contributor

fun

0 Kudos
Contributor

Each day I pick two of the 10 minute exercise programs from AARP Rewards and work them while receiving reward points for my exercise that I need.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I really need to be more active. I sit at the computer all day for my work and then for a little down time as well.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I turned 60 this month and I'm still running. I've been a distance runner since my freshman year in High School. I average 20 miles a week nowadays, spread out over 5 days. It's not record breaking, but it keeps me fit. And I make sure that I get hill work in at least 3 of those days. Running up hills is a great way to burn fat and keep it off. I also lift weights 4 or 5 days a week. All I have are dumbbell weights, but you can do several different lifts with dumbbells. And that's enough for a great workout. 

Contributor

Exercise for me is a real problem. I am 87 years old, sometimes have balance problems, but also have neuropathy of feet and legs. Even with the handicaps,Ii am doing my own housework, cooking, and cleaning and with two Jack Russell terriers that is a lot of ativity. Nothing has changed due to C-19 except I no longer go grocery shopping as my daughter brings in everything I need, to help me stay safe. I walk to the mailbox daily, but use my "truck" (cardiac walker) for safety. I put my own trash and recycle barrels out to the curb and back, and as a new chore, now am clipping the shrubbery in my yard. I have yard service for cutting the grass, and when he finishes I have to sweep off four porches  and sometimes the walls from the weedeater trash. In addition, I am cleaning out closets, discarding or giving away things I would not take to a nursing home should I have to go. For my mental  health and my busy work, I am working on my third book in three years. One was published in 2018, the second one is at the printers now, delayed due to C-19 as it should have been finished two weeks ago, and the third one is now beginning the second draft, hope to have it out in late summer, if everything gets back to normal. My usual exercise program consists of toe touching 20 times every time iIsit on the potty, but thats not new. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been working out at gym at the hotel in at every day for an hour. Treadmill, bike, dumbbells, floor exercising and I take walks for about 2 to 3 hrs with my son it helps alot and I feel so good afterwards it truly does my body good. 

Jamie

Contributor

Physically I'm trying to paint my porch And mentally trying to snoop around and remember my Civil Rights, so that I can teach my children and they won't be as easy to con as I was but hopefully one day won't be anymore either.

0 Kudos
Contributor

So fortunate to have a fitness watch AND a buddy in Brooklyn who also has one. We have been sharing our daily activity via watch for several years, now, but having to stay in because of the coronavirus has meant we have each had to increase our at-home activity to compensate for less time (if any) out. For me, it has meant making greater use of the fitness equipment I have at home, and paying more attention to my watch - now I divide my day up into four time periods, and I divide my workout goal into four subgoals, and I try each day now to reach a subgoal by a certain time, and then the next one...actually, with this method, now needed, I'm reaching my daily goals much more consistently than I had been doing before!!!     ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Watch and follow Denise Austin videos for in-home exercise.

Since being on quarantine Iโ€™ve been able to go to bed and get 8+ hours of sleep every night. I wake up refreshed for a morning run, at least 2 or 3 miles every day. Iโ€™ve also started practicing yoga for about 30 minutes every other day. What I enjoy most is my midday nap (smiling). 

Iโ€™m actually enjoying my time at home, being able to complete a few projects around the house. Having this quiet time to myself has given me a chance to reflect on life and reprioritize a few things. 

Contributor

Each day as the weather allows, I walk 3 - 5 miles each day.  Also doing Yoga Monday, Wednesday & Friday nights.  Looking forward to getting back to the gym though. ๐Ÿ™‚

On the other hand, my house has never been fully cleaned at the same time... now it is!  House is clutter-free and unnecessary collected papers/magazines are purged/recycled, garage is organized, piles of donations are ready for pickup (once able), ..oh and my gardens have been mulched for a month!  Got a real jump start this year!  Even changed over my closet from Winter to Spring clothes (not Summer yet)!   Making the best of it all.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm taking advantage of what I call "Microwave Moments."  Whenever I heat something up in the microwave, I amke sure sure to do some stretches or squeezes of various muscle groups.  It's a quick and easy way to include small amounts of exercise throughout the day.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I'm doing the same thing.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Completing live streaming of my gym workouts.  Ensure that I have 10K steps on my Fitbit

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been trying to keep a Mon-Fri routine.  Three times a week I use my portable treadmill and get in 3 miles each day.  The other days, I either take an hour walk, use my exercise ball, working in my yard.  Every other day I also use the exercise options on AARP, mixing it up with upper and lower body strength, cardio, abs, etc...  There are many 10 minutes options to pick from, so I pick 3 and also earn points while doing them!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I live next to a great park and walk the dirt trails very early and rarely see a soul.  Also have dug out a crab grass infested lawn and put in a raised bed and have fresh spring veggies and little need to go to the grocery store!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have an elliptical at home, and ride my bike every day, and have created a 45 minute body weight workout on my yoga mat, so I am staying in good shape.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

it has been a long time since the outside of the cookware has gotten a good cleaning. sitting on the front porch and gettting some sun while the outside of the pans is a good upper body workout. now i also have a chance to see what i am really using and whhat just is taking up space.

g626
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP