Community Manager
Community Manager

What ways are you keeping active?

Staying home has forced many of us to be creative about how we stay active. What are your tips for getting regular exercise and setting aside time to move while practicing social distancing?  Share your pictures or tips

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

I've been exercising at home every morning, in front of the television. I just make up my own running/dancing/jumping routines, to keep my heart rate up.

0 Kudos

AARP videos!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Get your pet(s) out as much as you can; that is good for them and for oyu as well !  

I see people on lakes on paddling, rowing, and fishing.

I joined my daughter and wife in yoga; actually, I do my own routines but we are having a good time.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I started a small yard garden in the front yard I have tomatoes with flowers in the mist, in the backyard at the back gate I planted cucumbers they can run up and down the gate I chop grass and put grass I get plenty of sunshine with birds singing and a nice breeze. I am so blessed to enjoy This in Forrest City Arkansas
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I do cardio exercise at home every morning (indoors, in front of the television).  I just make up my own running/jumping/dancing routines, to keep my heart rate up.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I had knee replacement surgery 3 weeks before the Stay-at-Home order went into effect. Fortunately we have a recumbent bike, so my husband, daughter, and I all take turns riding the bike at various resistance levels. I still go to physical therapy and do the exercises at home to stay limber. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Walking! In the neighborhood, on nearby green space trails, and around the house. Did a virtual hike with my retiree hiking club this week, 5+ miles.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi @vgregory647, I'm curious about how you did your virtual hike? My family has a monthly hiking club adn we're trying to figure out a way to virtually hike together.

Thanks for sharing!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi @MeganB876364, we all went hiking separately near our own neighborhoods, and sent an email afterward to our organizer with details (mileage, photos, route description/maps). She'll compile all the info and send it back to the group, though we're replying-all to her original email. Hope that works for your group too!

0 Kudos
Contributor

We're walking around our neighborhood for an hour each day, crossing the street to avoid other walkers (sometimes waiting for rains to stop).

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We are fortunate to live in the mountains, where there are plenty of beautiful hiking trails right in our neighborhood.  We have an exuberant 4 year old, 85 lb. chocolate lab that needs lots of exercise, so we get out and hike for at least 2 miles every day, supplemented by throwing the ball around in the yard. We see neighbors while out, and stop and chat from a distance.  Just being out in nature is relaxing and we don't feel the stress of confinement. Our dog and parrot make sure that we are entertained.

Contributor

In the morning I practice yoga, do stretches, some muscle building exercises with elastic bands and weights, some core strengthening exercises. In addition to that I exercise by brisk walking with weights in my ankles and dumbells in hands for 30-45 minutes and after that exercise after that continue walking and giving whole body work out from toes to neck followed by some tai-chi moves.  I also practice meditation in the evening daily for at least 15 minutes.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Since I'm handicapped and now housebound because my underlying conditions make me especially vulnerable to coronavirus, I try to excerise by watching a tape and excersing from a chair with arm, leg and body movements. I also walk around the house with my walker.

0 Kudos
Contributor

When the weather is BEAUTIFUL outdoors...take a walk around your neighborhood.  If you have children and or daycare kids...take them for an adventurous walk around the neighborhood to EXPLORE.  Look for BIRDS, colorful flowers, DOGS, colorful things like mailboxes/cars/flags/doors and more.  Take a break and sit on the sidewalk to look for bugs and insects.  Pick up sticks and stones.  Maybe even make a SCAVENGER HUNT list BEFORE your go your ADVENTUROUS walk, grab the WAGON to HAUL the TREASURES you find.  You can also kill two birds with one stone...turn that walk into exercise and learning by looking for colors, shapes and counting.  WIN WIN!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Since I am skeptical of outside activities, I am doing a 10-minute session going up and down my stairs daily.  It is a good workout.  I have noticed that my speed has increased greatly.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I log into the real time Silver Sneakers work out sessions through Facebook. The offer options for those that are chair bound as well.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Since we are home bound, when I get up in the morning I exercise from the TV via the Xfinity 

fitness channel. Do a high impact exercise for 15 minutes. Have a shake/ and or salad for lunch.

I also do about an hour walk while watching the game show network in the evening.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I exercise every single day. It is a habit. I use bands for arm and leg exercise and I never skip my daily exercise even if I can only get in 20 minutes because it is so easy to make excuses not to do it. If it becomes a habit then you don't even think about it you just do it

0 Kudos

I walk 55 minutes on my treadmill 6 days a week.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have a mini exercise bike that tracks my mileage and can have resistance adjusted.  Since we are under a 'Stay home, Stay safe' mandate in Washington state, I log at least a mile and a half on it everyday.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I make an extra effort to walk (even in place) for at least 5 full minutes every hour.  And to be sure that I move about and squeeze a some squats or counter push-ups in also

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I make sure I get in a daily walk.  Going with a neighbor ( six-feet apart) helps motivate and keep up with each other!

0 Kudos
Contributor

An early morning walk with dog. 

0 Kudos

Every morning and Night I say Prayers that we won't have to stay home very long by ourself. Thank Goodness I have a Cat named Stripey.  He likes to argue with me.  lol  He wakes me up every morning at 7 am so he can get fed and play with me.  I take a bath, get dressed cook and have breakfast.  I go to my daughter that has MS everyday and help her with Chores.  Get her mail,  mop her floor, plant her high rised gardens, water them every day. Get her groceries and my groceries, and carry them in the house for her and my apartment too.  I work with Genealogy with my long distant friends and family.  We share information on the computer.  I am putting Photo's in picture Albums that I collected for over 60 yrs.  I am 80 and lost my hubby 4 yrs ago.  So I am going threw his stuff and cleaning my apt.  I cook myself 3 meals a day and do dishes at night.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

When I go to the local home center or grocery store I always park somewhere at the far edge of the lot. This gives me a bit of extra exercise and also cuts down on those inevitable parking lot dings that eventually appear on both sides of the car.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Staying home and using my own backyard pool for excersize.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

There are 2 ways I'm trying to keep active.  When the weather is nice I take walks (initially I went around the track at the local school but they closed that last week because too many people were walking to close together - no social distancing).  I watch the weather because I also have asthma and the colder air bothers me.  I'm also recovering from rotator cuff and torn bicep surgery but had to stop PT about a month ago when someone in the facility tested positive and my doctor said not to return yet.  However, the facility gave me resistence bands for home use and I've been using them.  Not only do I do my shoulder PT exercises but I also went on line to see how to use the bands to work out other parts of my body too.  Before my surgery (and before the virus) I would go to the gym 5-6 times a week so this sitting home does get my antsy.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I have 2 Jack Russells - very active - so they need exercise.  I walk them 2 or more miles a day.

In the house, I act as door man for my 2 Jacks and a min-pin that I adopted, and a cat that thinks she is a dog.  So not too much sitting is allowed. 

0 Kudos

Doing virtual races

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am very lucky, I live in a retirement community with miles of sidewalk and we have a storage area for our RV's.  The storage area is 1&3/4 mi. from my house, so one of my routines for getting my steps is to walk there & then I use my California Duster to go over my 24ft. motorhome.  I usually do this in the morning and in the evening my wife and I walk around our  neighborhood.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png