Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What ways are you keeping active?

Staying home has forced many of us to be creative about how we stay active. What are your tips for getting regular exercise and setting aside time to move while staying cool in the summer heat?  Share your pictures or tips

AARPTeri
Contributor

I walk the dog twice a day, teach my granddaughter's kindergarten packet provided by her teachers and do the activities they have suggested for her little PE class, we garden together, I do the laundry and climb the stairs in the house besides the weight lifting and doing the AARP exercises that I am capable of doing.  It helps keep me in a good mood and the time passes while accomplishing something.

0 Kudos

My Medicare insurance pays for a gym membership. Thankfully, my gym is offering a wide variety of on-line classes. So far, I've done Team Training (strength and cardio), dance, yoga, and kick boxing. An hour and half of intensive exercise daily is helping to keep me fit physically and mentally.

I'm enjoying the awesome teachers and classes. They add classes each week so, to date, I've not gotten bored. I'm also contemplating that my living room could become a permanent workout space!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I walk 8 miles a day 3 times a week .  I either listen to music or just listen to the birds.  I have plenty of company along my walks with squirrels and rabbits crossing my pathway.  I find that walking this length of time - it takes about 2 hours- gives me a mental break from all of the worry and fear this virus has brought to us.

Wow! 8 miles? That's amazing! You have "super powers"!  Love iit!

0 Kudos

I  am trying to keep movement with Denise Austin videos with aarp and as well with the Silver Sneakers online videos between the two sites, there are many choices and level to choose from. Even starting with low level of yoga. Its fun to try new choice without being in front of other people til you know the moves.

0 Kudos

As a Military Family Life counselor in a school, it is hard not seeing my military kids every day. During this stay-at-home time, I take advantage of online trainings. While listening to a webinar, instead of sitting in my chair in front of the computer, I do step exercises and short walk exercises while listening to the speaker.  It helps break up the monotony of the day and keeps me motivated to learn! Sully S.

0 Kudos
Contributor

walking 

0 Kudos

Because I've worked from my home busines for over 3 decades, this is really nothing new to me. I've been at at a typewriter then to a computer 10-12 hrs. a day since I can remember. If I didn't ecercise, I'd look like a whale! The the only things that really changed because of this "lockdown" in my life is  no more driving to client's offices because everything can be done online (bless the internet!!!) also, the need to wear a face mask when out for my dailiy 1-2 mile walk. I have done the same routine to keep in shape for decades: 10 minute stretching, 30-40 minute morning walk, 15 minutes on my step apparatus, 15 minutes weights, 15 minutes floor stretches and that's it. The only things I had to change was since my RA increased substantially as I aged, I had to stop dong push-up and I had to contain my hand weights to 5lbs. or less beause of the pain in my writsts. I can't put the pressure on them anymore. Also, my daily "jog" has become a daily "power walk" because of the arthritis in my ankles. But, nothing will stop me. I just adjust as my body allows.  I couldn't think of existing without my ecercise routine 5 days a week. Saturdays (weather permitting) is gardenting time. Sundays are open ( I have to be a little bit naughty! LOL)

Periodic Contributor

I've been exercising at home every morning, in front of the television. I just make up my own running/dancing/jumping routines, to keep my heart rate up.

0 Kudos

AARP videos!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Get your pet(s) out as much as you can; that is good for them and for oyu as well !  

I see people on lakes on paddling, rowing, and fishing.

I joined my daughter and wife in yoga; actually, I do my own routines but we are having a good time.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I started a small yard garden in the front yard I have tomatoes with flowers in the mist, in the backyard at the back gate I planted cucumbers they can run up and down the gate I chop grass and put grass I get plenty of sunshine with birds singing and a nice breeze. I am so blessed to enjoy This in Forrest City Arkansas
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I do cardio exercise at home every morning (indoors, in front of the television).  I just make up my own running/jumping/dancing routines, to keep my heart rate up.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I had knee replacement surgery 3 weeks before the Stay-at-Home order went into effect. Fortunately we have a recumbent bike, so my husband, daughter, and I all take turns riding the bike at various resistance levels. I still go to physical therapy and do the exercises at home to stay limber. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Walking! In the neighborhood, on nearby green space trails, and around the house. Did a virtual hike with my retiree hiking club this week, 5+ miles.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi @vgregory647, I'm curious about how you did your virtual hike? My family has a monthly hiking club adn we're trying to figure out a way to virtually hike together.

Thanks for sharing!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi @MeganB876364, we all went hiking separately near our own neighborhoods, and sent an email afterward to our organizer with details (mileage, photos, route description/maps). She'll compile all the info and send it back to the group, though we're replying-all to her original email. Hope that works for your group too!

0 Kudos
Contributor

We're walking around our neighborhood for an hour each day, crossing the street to avoid other walkers (sometimes waiting for rains to stop).

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We are fortunate to live in the mountains, where there are plenty of beautiful hiking trails right in our neighborhood.  We have an exuberant 4 year old, 85 lb. chocolate lab that needs lots of exercise, so we get out and hike for at least 2 miles every day, supplemented by throwing the ball around in the yard. We see neighbors while out, and stop and chat from a distance.  Just being out in nature is relaxing and we don't feel the stress of confinement. Our dog and parrot make sure that we are entertained.

Contributor

In the morning I practice yoga, do stretches, some muscle building exercises with elastic bands and weights, some core strengthening exercises. In addition to that I exercise by brisk walking with weights in my ankles and dumbells in hands for 30-45 minutes and after that exercise after that continue walking and giving whole body work out from toes to neck followed by some tai-chi moves.  I also practice meditation in the evening daily for at least 15 minutes.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Since I'm handicapped and now housebound because my underlying conditions make me especially vulnerable to coronavirus, I try to excerise by watching a tape and excersing from a chair with arm, leg and body movements. I also walk around the house with my walker.

0 Kudos
Contributor

When the weather is BEAUTIFUL outdoors...take a walk around your neighborhood.  If you have children and or daycare kids...take them for an adventurous walk around the neighborhood to EXPLORE.  Look for BIRDS, colorful flowers, DOGS, colorful things like mailboxes/cars/flags/doors and more.  Take a break and sit on the sidewalk to look for bugs and insects.  Pick up sticks and stones.  Maybe even make a SCAVENGER HUNT list BEFORE your go your ADVENTUROUS walk, grab the WAGON to HAUL the TREASURES you find.  You can also kill two birds with one stone...turn that walk into exercise and learning by looking for colors, shapes and counting.  WIN WIN!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Since I am skeptical of outside activities, I am doing a 10-minute session going up and down my stairs daily.  It is a good workout.  I have noticed that my speed has increased greatly.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I log into the real time Silver Sneakers work out sessions through Facebook. The offer options for those that are chair bound as well.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Since we are home bound, when I get up in the morning I exercise from the TV via the Xfinity 

fitness channel. Do a high impact exercise for 15 minutes. Have a shake/ and or salad for lunch.

I also do about an hour walk while watching the game show network in the evening.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I exercise every single day. It is a habit. I use bands for arm and leg exercise and I never skip my daily exercise even if I can only get in 20 minutes because it is so easy to make excuses not to do it. If it becomes a habit then you don't even think about it you just do it

0 Kudos

I walk 55 minutes on my treadmill 6 days a week.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have a mini exercise bike that tracks my mileage and can have resistance adjusted.  Since we are under a 'Stay home, Stay safe' mandate in Washington state, I log at least a mile and a half on it everyday.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I make an extra effort to walk (even in place) for at least 5 full minutes every hour.  And to be sure that I move about and squeeze a some squats or counter push-ups in also

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I make sure I get in a daily walk.  Going with a neighbor ( six-feet apart) helps motivate and keep up with each other!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP