Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What ways are you keeping active?

Staying home has forced many of us to be creative about how we stay active. What are your tips for getting regular exercise and setting aside time to move while staying cool in the summer heat?  Share your pictures or tips

AARPTeri
Contributor

An early morning walk with dog. 

0 Kudos

Every morning and Night I say Prayers that we won't have to stay home very long by ourself. Thank Goodness I have a Cat named Stripey.  He likes to argue with me.  lol  He wakes me up every morning at 7 am so he can get fed and play with me.  I take a bath, get dressed cook and have breakfast.  I go to my daughter that has MS everyday and help her with Chores.  Get her mail,  mop her floor, plant her high rised gardens, water them every day. Get her groceries and my groceries, and carry them in the house for her and my apartment too.  I work with Genealogy with my long distant friends and family.  We share information on the computer.  I am putting Photo's in picture Albums that I collected for over 60 yrs.  I am 80 and lost my hubby 4 yrs ago.  So I am going threw his stuff and cleaning my apt.  I cook myself 3 meals a day and do dishes at night.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

When I go to the local home center or grocery store I always park somewhere at the far edge of the lot. This gives me a bit of extra exercise and also cuts down on those inevitable parking lot dings that eventually appear on both sides of the car.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Staying home and using my own backyard pool for excersize.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

There are 2 ways I'm trying to keep active.  When the weather is nice I take walks (initially I went around the track at the local school but they closed that last week because too many people were walking to close together - no social distancing).  I watch the weather because I also have asthma and the colder air bothers me.  I'm also recovering from rotator cuff and torn bicep surgery but had to stop PT about a month ago when someone in the facility tested positive and my doctor said not to return yet.  However, the facility gave me resistence bands for home use and I've been using them.  Not only do I do my shoulder PT exercises but I also went on line to see how to use the bands to work out other parts of my body too.  Before my surgery (and before the virus) I would go to the gym 5-6 times a week so this sitting home does get my antsy.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I have 2 Jack Russells - very active - so they need exercise.  I walk them 2 or more miles a day.

In the house, I act as door man for my 2 Jacks and a min-pin that I adopted, and a cat that thinks she is a dog.  So not too much sitting is allowed. 

0 Kudos

Doing virtual races

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am very lucky, I live in a retirement community with miles of sidewalk and we have a storage area for our RV's.  The storage area is 1&3/4 mi. from my house, so one of my routines for getting my steps is to walk there & then I use my California Duster to go over my 24ft. motorhome.  I usually do this in the morning and in the evening my wife and I walk around our  neighborhood.

0 Kudos

I live in a retirement community with its own TV channel.   Our fitness instructors lead daily exercise programs, such as Tai Chi and stretching, and I do them. I also walk around the grounds.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Everyday I log into a youtube exercise video and work out my upper and lower body. I can really see results. I also walk about 20 to 30 minutes everyday sometimes twice a day.

0 Kudos

I still have to go to my job every day so my husband and I walk at 445 am and do 2 1/2 to 3 miles 5 or 6 days 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

It is starting to become spring where we live so we are preparing the yard by planting seedlings, preparing the garden bed by adding soil and nutrients and setting up a hydroponic garden inside the house. We also are taking walks and and did a bicycle ride in a regional park all while wearing our masks and gloves and keeping our distance from others enjoying being outside.

In the house we are doing puzzles and playing games that keep our mind active. Doing quilting and making masks for neighbors and friends in need. Baking for our birthdays and writing a new story.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I was working with a physical therapist for my multiple muscle/joint/nerve problems. But just before Covid 19 reared its ugly head, I had reached a plateau, and stopped having sessions with the therapist but continued my program at home. Many folks "go to PT" but don't follow up at home when they're not being scrutinized! This is useless... That became very clear to me and subsequently I found that I was feeling stronger, more flexible, and experiencing less pain. Winner! I'd encourage anyone struggling with similar issues to JUST GIVE IT A TRY!! Also: I live alone with my spouse; we're both in the "vulnerable" category and have been physical distancing for about a month... The only time we leave home is to buy groceries (delivery has proven impossible!), or to see a health care provider or pick up medications (we live primitively, so participation in telehealth is impossible and no pharmacy delivers to our area). Yikes! But I do wish the media would quit trying to convince me that I'm anxious, stir-crazy, etc. We're fine!

0 Kudos

Since my children are home from school practicing distance learning, I thought it would be less stressful for them, and good for me, to follow their school schedule which includes their daily PE assignments. Every day we incorporate their PE class assignment and add another physical activity or two to it. Yesterday, my son had to do a workout consisting of burpees, sit-ups and jumping jacks among other excersises for a 25 minute class workout; following that we did a 30 minute online HIIT Workout and then played some indoor basketball. These daily activities provide physical and mental well-being for all.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I have had a thing called frozen shoulder. I was on the Rewards part of AARP when I saw Denise Richards vidoes on stretching and light cardio. Her infectous smile and positive attitude got me motivated. Then Katie came on board and together I knew I was hooked. Now I watch them almost everyday. When I don't feel motivated to get out of the house during the virus I watch her videos of walking in the park. It gives me the confidence to get out on the warmers days. I feel connected in a safe way. I don't feel lonely. I urge people to watch these and choose the ones that fit you. There are many to choose from. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes, I have a victory garden and am trying to use weights & do yoga at home, but walking was the best exercise for me before & is the best exercise now. The streets are incredibly quiet and when you do pass someone, it's rare that people don't cooperate by moving to one side. It's like a new etiquette rule: I move a couple of feet this way & you move a couple of feet that way. Unless, of course, it's someone who is elderly or mobility-impaired. The streets of southern CA are like a parkour course for people like that, so I just get out of their way.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Walking outside was also my favorite was to exercise and get my steps each day and it still is.  Easy to practice social distancing since we rarely run past anyone.  I guess not that many are walking outside?  Like before, when the weather is not good, like yesterday, we have walking at home exercise DVDs we do inside to make sure we still get exercise, wheter it's ecause od the weather or something else. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm a runner. When the social distancing recommendations were announced I was no longer able to run with my group, and my favorite races were all cancelled. To give myself incentive to stay active, I decided to try running a streak. I'll run a minimum of one mile each day until I'm able to safely travel from Florida to NY to visit my mother in her nursing home. It's keeping me sane. I logged day 25 yesterday with 7 miles. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am practicing yoga for strength, flexibility, and balance daily. I am also doing sets of physical therapy exercises to strengthen my back and core due to a bulging disc caused by stenosis. I peddle my stationary bicycle at least 8 miles a day and I am working in my yard - mowing, planting, weeding....  I have two dogs who have to be taken out multiple times daily. Even things like vacuuming, dusting, mopping and other cleaning chores keep me up and moving. 
I have been practicing yoga for 20 years, but am finding myself taking on new challenges. I use a Giaam app that I love, but uTube has allowed me to explore new routines. I am more conscious of the need to keep moving and plan to keep these habits after the pandemic subsides and I'm out in the world again. I feel so much healthier and fit!

0 Kudos

Good old-fashion walking.  I can wave to my neighbors.  I can also run small errands for those who can't get out at all.  And I don't want to leave out the best part...my walk always includes a path near the dog run where my spirits get an instant boost by seeing and petting the dogs!

Contributor

I have watched Denise Austin and followed along with her exercise tips.  My husband and I take daily walks twice a day for about 30 - 45 minutes and sometimes take along very light hand weights.  I have used my stepper and 3-5 lb hand weights as I watch "Better Together" and I am doing low impact exercise from a exercise clip on cable TV.  I also stretch on the floor on my yoga mats to help ease the stiffness in my back from spinal stenosis and arthritis in my right hip.  I find that keeping active helps to keep my mood and spirits uplifted. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Contributor

Without availbility of the gym, where I'd do lap swimming, I've reverted to the standby of at least 20 minutes walking per day. The idea is constant motion, not necessarily distance, so time is the measurement (Sometinmes, it's twice as long, depending on the mood). The routes vary around the neighborhood with the idea with exploring or re-discovering aspects previously overlooked while driving. Of course, after a while, more becomes familiar. That's just another reminder of how good it'll be to return to previous circumstances.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm fortunate to live in a rural area, and where I can walk or jog on my road with minimal traffic and a wave to neighbors at a safe distance.  I typically walk/jog at least 4-5 times per week with a minimum of 2.5 miles each time.  It's exactly 1.25 miles from my home to the bottom of my hill, so that's the jog part; I walk on the way back up the hill, which is challenging in one steep spot.  I often "walk backwards" to exercise those muscles, plus it helps me get back up the hill!  I used to walk/jog some 20+ years ago, then just kept walking a regular routine, but now I'm back into slowly increasing my strength to jog again at age 58.  Getting outside in nature is very therapeutic, too.  There is something refreshing and invigorating about being amongst the trees!  My goal is to continue to get stronger, reduce some extra weight around my middle, and hopefully participate in another 5K when  life gets back to a new normal.  In addition, I also to strength exercises; I have a set of adjustable dumbbells, and I also have a set of ankle weights (20 lbs)  I typically do those exercises at least once a week, but shoot for twice a week.  Staying active is so critical for our health and well-being.  My incentive is to recall my parents inactivity and sedentary lifestyle,and as they aged, they had great difficulty doing some of the routine tasks to take care of themselves.  I strive to not get to that point; I want to be able to stay active and care for myself and my spouse as we age together.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I found a Silver Sneakers class on YouTube that I like. There are hundreds of them. On alternate days I follow along with a Denise Austin exercise video on the AARP website. I can do them any time!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

During my time at home I have been engaged with many activities to keep myself active and connected with my tribes.  I go for walks and talk with friends as we share and move.  AARP has been a source of movement and mental release through exercise videos for walking, yoga, meditation and health awareness.  The videos can be played at any time of the day or night to allow me to fit in as little as 1 minute to 20 minutes of exercise.  Dancing with my Zumba friends at the gym is a loss at this time and was recently revived as my instructor Lisa has sent out  message with videos and a zoom invitation to join at our weekly time. Exercise DVD's in my home have allowed for a variety to my routine.  Last fall I purchased an on-line yoga/meditation that is a source of comfort and connection.  I record a food log at least once a week to monitor my eating habits during this time at home.   My point to my AARP family is that there are many opportunities to move and connect and I have earned points to spend and share.  

Beverly S.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Since we all must stay home been doing things I never did example.  Being we are on the phone a great deal of the time I walk around my house on the portable phone as I am talking.  This way is a good way to walk and get in some exercise at the same time.  Most of us are using ours phones much more 

0 Kudos
Contributor

My husband and I normally keep fit at the Y. He walks on the treadmill at 4 mph while I must stick to 3.2 mph. Since the Y is closed, my husband walks around our steep block once at his speed and then walks around once with me at my speed. I much prefer walking outdoors to the treadmill.

0 Kudos
Contributor

No matter what's happening or what the weather is or how cranky you are the dog still needs to be walked. Even if all you're doing is taking him out in the yard it's still outside.

Running into another walker at a safe distance is an added plus if only for a nod and a smile.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been working from home for almost two months. On a break I walkaround the house outside.  At lunch I ride my recumbent bike.  After work, I walk to the mailboxes. Lots of small things to keep moving throughout the day.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I take my dog for a long walk around the neighborhood including one very steep street.  Definitely gets the heart pumping.  Also I occasionally do a brief workout with hand weights. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP