Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What ways are you keeping active?

Staying home has forced many of us to be creative about how we stay active. What are your tips for getting regular exercise and setting aside time to move while staying cool in the summer heat?  Share your pictures or tips

AARPTeri
Contributor

We are fortunate to live in a rural area, and we can get out and work in the yard and walk around our property. We are trying to eat more meat and veggies and salads!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm lucky enough to live next to the lake and am able to walk the levee while enjoying a cooling breeze from the lake.

Periodic Contributor

I have been using my exercise bike that has been in the corner for months. I had been going to the Y everyday but, it has been close for a month. I have always enjoy crafts so I'm catching up on things that have just been laying there. It's funny how you buy things that you just put some place and leave. This is good time to decutter and donate enjoy your day

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I run pretty much everyday outside. I am enjoying the sky without planes, the less traffic and the sounds and sights of Spring. Keeping me grounded. I also take 2 yoga classes and 2 pilates classes. 

Periodic Contributor

Have had to find innovative ways to continue volunteer work, which has also then helped keep me active.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Try to do a few of the AARP videos with Denise Austin daily.

0 Kudos

I've continued my daily exercise routine which includes between 30 to 45 minutes of cardio. I also like to do some yoga and there is nothing better than getting outdoors to do some yard work.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I still have to work - (we are a manufaturer of food products for Meals on Wheels, Nursing Homes and Hospitals, jails and prisons). Since I have a desk job, I walk around our plant 2 times a day to get some exercise.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Goaliemom, thank you for the essential service that you and company are providing.  It just goes to show how many different industries have to keep going in order to help support both our disadvantaged citizens as well as many of those folks doing the work on the front line.  

The food/meals that you all prepare, package, and ship to seniors, prisoners, patients in hospitals and nursing homes helps support life especially now as we battle covid-19. 

So again, thank you for your service.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have a small dog and take two daily walks, AM & PM. We average 30 miles per week! During the first 6 months of walking her, I lost 15 lbs. and have kept it off ever since.

Contributor

I'm staying active by starting every day with meditation, yoga and prayer. Then I try to tackle at least 1 room a day to deep clean it. Some rooms take more than a day, but I'm making progress! I usually work days, so my house hasn't had the attention it needs. It feels good to be getting it neat, clean and refreshed!

Contributor

I wear my Fitbit daily to help me see how much movement I am getting and to have it remind me to get up and move. I found a great Xfinity On Demand video called Express Walk with Kendra Kemerly. It's a 10 minute walking workout that I can do in front of my TV with no equipment needed. It gets me moving, works on cardio, abs, and the impact is gentle yet good for my joints and bones. I try to do it at least two times per day on days I can't get outdoors to walk. I also do outdoor walking while listening to favorite music on my old iPod. The fresh air and country views lift my spirits. I am not one to sit, so I make daily attempts to get up and move. 

Contributor

My husband and I have been doing walking &/or jogging laps around our back yard. We do it for 30 minutes a day, which in some cases is about 2 miles.

Contributor

I am recovering from a broken hip andI am doing daily PT exercises  that my Occupation Therapist showed me and now I am able to walk with my  walker pretty much any where.

Honored Social Butterfly

@bw35145820 wrote:

I am recovering from a broken hip andI am doing daily PT exercises  that my Occupation Therapist showed me and now I am able to walk with my  walker pretty much any where.

Congrats, on the progress you have made on the path to recovery!  Oooh, a broken hip and daily  PT exercises is a bit much to deal with.  But you're getting  it done.  So again, congrats and keep up the good work!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I make sure I complete an early morning walk. Walking and looking at the sky and the trees is so peaceful. I get my exercise in and have quite time with myself. 

0 Kudos

I jumpstart my mornings by doing some exercise inside for about an hour.  I do a number of things from jogging around from room to room, floor exercising, some stretching.  I also have been participating in a yoga meditation class online of course once a week.  Then when I can take the grandkids outside, I walk up and down the driveway while they play.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am 72 but in good health. Even though Covid 19 has us staying home, I can't ignore the beautiful weather here in Houston.  The sunny days at around 70 degrees make it perfect for walking.  So, I am walking every day that it doesn't rain and right now, that's a lot of days.  

I love the gentle breeze and the sun on my skin.  I see very few people but it is nice to see the beautiful yards and smiles on faces that I do see.  Even from a distance it lifts my spirits.  

I increased from 1/2 mile to mile and loving every minute of it.  

Contributor

Since I recently had back surgery before the COVID hit here, I walk with my walker inside and outside and I also use my walker to do exercises and stretches. You do what you have to do to keep going. Thank God for my family. 

Contributor

I do three denise austin workouts on the AARP selection three times a week (abs/arms, walking in place, and upper body weights.  I take a 20 minute walk in my neighborhood.  I wear my mask.  Love the Denise Austin workouts because they are 10 minutes each, so I am doing 30 minutes.  I am looking to add another one of her workouts.

Thank you, AARP for all you do!

Contributor

Started utilizing work out videos from the YMCA and Silver Sneakers.  Really enjoy the workouts and they are easy to follow and get moving.  Really hate not being able to go to the gym but these videos are keeping me active, staying in shape and feeling good.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have copd so I'm limited to short walks around the house. Also light exercises sitting and standing in place.

Periodic Contributor

I've been using videos from AARP and other resources to keep active, besides walking my dog everyday. I recently attended a qigong class through ZOOM. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Keep active and moving by using your own body weight to exercise. Several great exercises include: squats, lunges, push-ups and burpees. Bonus: Build muscles at the same time.

0 Kudos
Contributor

When we decided to move into this high rise condominium, I was thrilled that we had  access to a gym and a pool downstairs.  Ironically, I visited LA Fitness more often that I used the downstairs exercise room and pool.  When the gym closed due to the virus pandemic, I found new ways to get some exercise, surprisingly.  I am on the 6th floor and have to go to the main lobby to access the mail room.  I ride the elevator up to the top floor (10) and then walk down the stairs to the mail room/lobby.  When I return home, I use the stairs.  If I feel tired one day I can always walk up 3 flights and ride the elevator the rest of the way.  It is not only invigorating, but I am able to see some of the neighbors that I wouldn't see otherwise, (of course, they are wearing masks, but I know who they are and we all know that we are all smiling beneath them).  

Contributor

I'm using the treadmill in the basement and doing yard work that keeps me moving.  Having my sons home from college this time of year makes the outside work more fun!

0 Kudos

I pick up trash on my walks. I am also trying to help the neighbors by writing chalk games and exercises on my sidewalk and driveway. An example is "How far can you jump" game with starting point and feet/inches written in colored chalk. I also get exercise with chalk writing as I bend over quite a bit. You can find colored chalk at the grocery store with the summer toys, it's very inexpensive. 

Periodic Contributor

Walking outside, going up and down the stairs and doing stretches. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I get up early each day and take a 2 mile power walk.  I listen to Katy Perry which helps ma to "keep up the pace" as the music blasts into my ears.  When I get a particularly fast song (about every 4th song) , I break into a slow jog (just a little faster than a power walk)---this helps to get my heart rate up a bit.  This exercise is not a good as the ellyptical machine I generally use but with the gym closed it is probably the best that I can do.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm a postal service employee. My job is very active. We are on our feet all  day waiting on customers or unloading packages and other mail. I am currently at home for two weeks because someone tested positive in my office. I am feeling fine and here are the ways I am keeping my excercise going

• Taking longer walks with my dog every day. She is thrilled that I am home!
  • Doing some big cleaning projects - closet cleanouts, deck staining, yard raking. Probably snow shoveling this weekend Woman Mad
  • Dragged out my stationary bike that my doctor made me buy post knee replacement. Rule: Get on bike when I stream or binge watch. Add hand weights over time.

Going back to work Saturday but I hope to keep doing the walking and stationary bike when I have time. It is surprisingly busy at the postal serviice.

Stay Well. I go to work for you. Please stay at home for us.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP