Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

What ways are you keeping active?

Staying home has forced many of us to be creative about how we stay active. What are your tips for getting regular exercise and setting aside time to move while staying cool in the summer heat?  Share your pictures or tips

AARPTeri
Contributor

I use the Youtube HasFit for Seniors video series on my computer.  This is an excellent way to stay fit with low impact exercises with modifications for almost anyone.  Easy to follow exercises with demonstrations.  I have been alternating between chair and standing aerobic videos of my two favorites and altering the pace as I improve.  The exercise videos which I limit to 20 minutes, coupled with 15 minutes on the rowing machine, has been my daily regime for a number of years.

Michael - age 74   

0 Kudos
Contributor

I use the Youtube HasFit for Seniors video series on my computer.  This is an excellent way to stay fit with low impact exercises with modifications for almost anyone.  Easy to follow exercises with demonstrations.  I have been alternating between chair and standing aerobic videos of my two favorites and altering the pace as I improve.  The exercise videos which I limit to 20 minutes, coupled with 15 minutes on the rowing machine, has been my daily regime for a number of years.    

0 Kudos

I am using the Denise Austin Full Body Fitness video I got from AARP. I also walk 2-3 miles at a local park. I mix up what I do each day. 

0 Kudos

My husband and I are in our late 70's.  Because we can't go to the Y, we are taking daily walks.  Maybe more importantly, we are up and about doing a variety of activities throughout the day.  We do not sit around!!!  Staying productive is as important as physical exercise.

0 Kudos

Streaming fitness classes - stretch, strength and yoga - plus walking our dog dogs - and yes it is gardening time! I created a spreadsheet on my PC to track my daily exercise which helps me stay on track and to be sure that I am rotating the types of fitness classes I am doing.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

One way I stay active is to set the timer on the stove or microwave for 45 min. to make sure I get up and move around every hour.  Even if I really do not want to get up I have to get up to turn off the timer.  Plus it will continue to beep until I reset.  Even if I forget about it and do outside for a walk or to work in the yard it will continue to beep until I reset.  The key is to make sure the timer is set again.  I do not use my phone because it is too convenient and the stove or microwave is in another room, and when I am in the kitchen I am already active and moving around.  

-L. Lampe

We have four dogs, so that forces us to take two half-hour walks each day. Lots of walkers (with and without dogs), stroller pushers, bikers, skaters in our neighborhood to say "hi" to while maintaining social distance. I have a rebounder, so I jump up and down on that for at least ten minutes every morning while listening to a podcast.  Most mornings I do a two mile interval walk/run, weather permitting (still pretty cold here in NJ early in the day).  They have closed all the parks in NJ, Federal, State, County, Local, so my huband and I walk around our local cemetery to get our nature fix.  I have been doing yard cleanup, and planning for a delivery of mulch and flowers from our local garden center in another few weeks. Tomato and basil plants are started indoors.  Up and down the basement stairs for laundry and pantry searches. Vacuuming (see four dogs above.)  Plenty to keep this 66 YO busy. 

My tip...foster a dog from a shelter.  He or she will keep you moving, and you may become a foster failure, as my husband and I have been on more than one occasion.  Keep safe!!!

I start every morning with a 10 minute meditation.  On the days my husband is at work, I go for a 3-4 mile walk in the area.  On the days my husband is off work. we go for a 2-3 mile walk and then a 5 mile bike ride.  It keeps us active and healthy!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I walk my dog three times a day. Once in the morning, afternoon and the evening. I also do stretch exercises at night while I am watching Tv. I am also de cluttering my house. 

Contributor

after busy day of patients, i go and garden if possible.  i've trying the yoga moves you posted on video but still in learning stages

Contributor

Thank you and all medical professionals
0 Kudos
Contributor

Try to keep a routine. Shower, get dressed and have a project or two for activity. I take my dog for two half hour walks daily and do some stretching.  

0 Kudos

I am an essential worker, Jail Officer so I am not on lock down. I start each day with 15 minutes of meditation. I am walking my border collie nightly and have gotten my bike out for a daily ride. 

Contributor

Fortunately our weather has been really nice so my husband and I have been walking in our neighborhood.  We walk to the post office, bank and the store. It has been fun to see all the flowers blooming and greeting our neighbors from a safe distance. The exercise has been good for us as I have lost about 8 lbs without really changing my diet .  We also have a small garden we work in and refreshing the flower beds.    

0 Kudos

My go to activity is sewing and selling my items.  Also, gardening and exercise in the morning.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been jogging at least two miles once a week, and walking on other days!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I started my get healthy program on 6/30/19.  I have lost 88 pounds so far!  I got a Fitbit on 10/26/19 and started walking at lunch every weekday and running in place at home.  I now walk / run in place at least 13,000 steps a day, which is about 5.5 miles.  The most I walked in one day was 30,000 steps.  Not bad for a 60-year-old with arthritis in both knees!  I feel so much better and continue to exercise and eat less than 1,300 calories every day.

Honored Social Butterfly

@GayleT627995 wrote:

I started my get healthy program on 6/30/19.  I have lost 88 pounds so far!  I got a Fitbit on 10/26/19 and started walking at lunch every weekday and running in place at home.  I now walk / run in place at least 13,000 steps a day, which is about 5.5 miles.  The most I walked in one day was 30,000 steps.  Not bad for a 60-year-old with arthritis in both knees!  I feel so much better and continue to exercise and eat less than 1,300 calories every day.

Congratulations, @GayleT627995 on your weight loss and perseverance.  Reading your success story was truly inspiring to me this morning as I have been upping my physical activity during the pandemic as well.  And although I am nowhere near doing all that you are, I feel good about just doing more than I had been and seeing some minor results from those efforts.

For me, I've been doing my own version of circuit training at home.  I've been working out with the AARP Denise Austin video on some days, then cycling on my stationary bike on other days, and then alternating with my treadmill on still other days.  Having a variety of ways of moving helps me to stay more active and more "interested" in being physically active.  

0 Kudos

Keeping to my usual routine.  Although, I have low access to getting the things I need, especially "hand sanitizer" ($16 for a 8 oz. bottle at Amazon) I am trying to be myself.  I think that's the most important tip I can give.  Be yourself!  Another, really good past time is to call the family and make sure you ask them "Hey, what do you think about the pandemic?"  It lessens the tension and gives you time to catch up on things usually left for the weekends.  I never really get to much of a break because I am an online student, so everything is in tact for me, but I am trying to focus on not over eating or over working myself, seeming that I am still doing the same thing I was doing before the pandemic.  And I am really trying to take the situation serious as not to include in it any of my cost-benefits or systematic risks in my business courses.

0 Kudos
Contributor

My husband and I walk the local parks for an hour or two each day. It is so relaxing and stress relieving being outdoors and enjoying each other's company. It gives us energy and motivation to work on all of our DIY projects together!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am out walking 3 times a day. Getting in my 6 or 7 miles. When its raining, I just put my rain jacket on & head out & jump the puddles. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I take a morning Walk on the path around my apartment complex, after I've had breakfast and coffee!! 

I ALSO do my excersices, I learned from PT daily to wake up My Joints!! I FEEL Good just doing a Walk. Now I'm walking 3× a day... AND I LOVE IT!! 

Contributor

Fortunately have a big yard so I walk. Made some discoveries of plants and flowers I didn't know were here. We only moved in a year ago. Just planted 3 blueberries and a fig. Next step tomatoes and wildflowers. Since I can't excercise due to an injury get a lot of pleasure watching the wild bird feeders and the hummingbird feeders.

0 Kudos
Contributor

SCHEDULE YOUR DAY AT HOME ON PAPER AND KEEP TO IT. YOUR NOTES WILL REMIND YOU WHAT YOU WISH TO ACCOMPLISH AND IT WILL KEEP YOUR MIND ALERT INSTEAD OF FALLING INTO LIMBO AND LAZINESS. WHEN YOU HAVE A NEWBORN BABY, IT IS IMPORTANT TO KEEP HIM ON A SCHEDULE.   WHEN YOU WERE WORKING FULL TIME YOU PLANNED YOUR TO-DO LISTS EVERY DAY. AWARDING YOURSELF TO TAKE A NAP WILL FEEL BETTER TOO. KEPT YOUR MIND ALERT EVERY DAY 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Before Michigan's stay-at-home order, I walked every day during my lunch hour.   Now, working from home, I am still walking every day during my lunch break.   Maintaining my normal routine Monday-Friday has also helped keep me calm.   We also take a long hike 4+ miles at least once per week.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

We hired our daughter who is out of work to come spring clean our house.She also help me load  and unload 40 bags of mulch for our yard. My stimulus at work .LOL

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Since I'm around more, I can actually deal with the plants on the balcony better. Already harvested one pepper, and a tomato started emerging from the other. Occasionally get to dog-sit for my neighbor who works at the hospital.

While I really prefer shopping in stores in person, I guess I have to deal with the online ordering for now. At least, with pickup, I can still drive to the store for a change of venue.

As long as internet is available I play online games, and do some math refreshers at Khan Academy. Its free, I recommend checking it out.

Cheers,

Ray

Contributor

Keeping active is very important so as not to let the grimlins start trolling the mind. With the weather so beautiful, it's nice to get outside and do some Spring yard work; flowerbed clearing, repotting some prennials, and even scrubing the siding on the house.

A little decorative painting to brighten up the patio or just sitting on the patio watching and lsitening to the birds busying themselves with their Springtime chores.

Contributor

I am working from home a lot more than normal, so I am going for walks and doing a 10 minute video from the AARP website.  Thank you for putting those videos out there it has encouraged me to get moving more!

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I love those videos, too!
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP