Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 81 of 264

jaquiekeen - great idea! Many of the RESTAURANTS here in Denver are ALSO offering ingredients for sale, not just the farmers/producers. I haven't tried it yet, but seems like a great way to get veggies, help the restaurants, AND help the farmers/producers! The latter don't have to set up a new "pipeline" for selling their produce/products - they can just work through the restaurants, where they've already been selling those products for the restaurants' use. Sure sounds like a win/win/win to me! The producers get their product sold/distributed, the restaurants have another income stream (though no replacement for their usual business), and the people get fresh food without having to go to the crowded grocery stores The product is frequently BETTER than what you can get in stores. (restaurants get the best, freshest product, as they are basing their reputations on EXCELLENT dishes!) Service varies from restaurant to restaurant. Some offer boxes of various foodstuffs - no individual choices per box, some offer single items in large quantities (well, larger than ONE steak or a couple of breasts of chicken!), some let you customize your box with a few choices. Check with each restaurant to see what they offer. "Mile High On The Cheap" is a website for the Denver/Colorado area, run by people who gather info on all the deals available and act as a clearinghouse for the deals. They don't OFFER deals- they just let us know EVERYTHING in one convenient website. They have a running list of restaurants here that are doing this type of thing. Check around your area for a similar organization/website. I know Seattle has one (my siblings live there) - it's a great source ALL the time for us frugal folks. They are WONDERFUL during these trying times!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 264

My husband does the grocery shopping,  he always has his sanitizer on him , I have made chili. potato soup, navy bean soup with ham hocks   l make hearty dishes and pasta with Cascones bold and spicy sauce and garlic,  eggplant parmesan , I'm Italian so I make a lot and always have left overs. I eat a clove of garlic daily and it helps to lower my cholesterol. I pray that they find a cure for this pandemic.. I pray for universal healing. 😑

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 264

I could not disagree more. This is not time for browsing. It is not safe for you or the people who are working in the stores. Please be considerate.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 264

As soon as you get a delivery or pick up order, start a new one cart.  It is getting increasingly hard to get a quick delivery or pick up time or date. First put on the items that did not make it on your just received order. 

Be Careful!

If you do not want your item substituted make sure you indicate that on yor order.  This is not the time to change your good eating habits. (We are low sodium) 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 264

We live in South Florida, and with all the eateries closed, the local produce distributors are selling their stock by the box full to the public, They have drive thrus, M-F. $10 a box, never get out of the car! I have gotten corn, lettuce, red/yellow tomatoes, squash, peppers, avocados, apples, oranges, lemons, radishes.... I bring it home, clean it, chop it. I usually roast the peppers/onions together. Potatoes/Onions and then a tray of mixed squashes. We have fresh, oven roasted veggies all week. I have made salsa, guacamole, ceasare salads and grilled corn! I feel badly for all the restuarant owners and workers, but this $10 a box deal should be ALL the time! It really helps stretch the food budget dollars and for alot of families puts fresh food on the table.

Jacqueline Keen Evans
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 264

I get Gods Love We Deliver. Don't worry about grocery shopping!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 264

We plan 1 x week for groceries, to include fruit, milk other short shelf life items. Also using older canned goods, before restocking from the store. Also 2-3 x a week supporting local food biz, takeout and gift cards. : )

Tags (3)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 264

Purchase many frozen dinners which are on sale.

Help some of your favorite restaurants by using their delivery service (hopefully free).

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 264

FYI: you can buy two bunches of bananas, one to eat within a week and one bunch that are still partially green and put those in the refrigerator.  The peels may darken but they’ll stay fresh and not ripen as quickly. (Chiquita Banana from the old days was wrong!)  Freezing them makes them gooey when you thaw them, but you can still use them in banana muffins or bread.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 264

I love vegetables so I buy several bags and put them in the freezer, and add cut up baked chicken, or baked pork chops, adding olive oil and seasoning for flavor.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit