Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 51 of 264

We are buying in bulk basic items with our daughter and her children who live only a couple miles from us. We have extra storage and she drops by to pick up items on her way home from work as she needs them. We split the cost and have fewer trips to grocery store. From cereals, juice, water, paper goods, cleaners, etc.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 264

When shopping for fresh fruit or veggies, choose those that are towards the back or underneath as they haven’t been handled as much. 

Ideally, a paper grocery list is better but if you have the list on your phone. Place the phone in a baggie so it’s not contaminated while shopping. Take it out of the bag after shopping and sanitizing hands before using.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 264

We purchase large quantites at Costco even though there is only 2 of us.  Also buy other items on sale.  Some regular items like nutritional supplements and staples we get regularly on Amazon's subscribe & save for an extra 15% off.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 264

What I am going to share may seem awkward, but given the fact COVID-19 for several hours, even days depending on the surface, you should consider washing with soap and water all articles which could have been exposed in the market place.  Also, usually you may store the plastic bags, if provided, when shopping; now cosider disposing them in the trash as soon as emptied.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 264

When shopping, do not pick up an item unless you are going to purchase it -- handle as few items as possible.

Do not use the "pen" to electronically sign for a credit card; either carry your own pen with you (a stylus from a tablet) or use a debit card (and of course wear gloves when entering your PIN).

Try to purchase items in packages which are easy to clean with sanitizer or bleach -- avoid cardboard or paper packaging whenever possible.

Don't think that frozen foods are virus free -- although freezing destroys many germs and viruses, corona virus have shown the ability to remain viable for a very long time in subfreezing temperatures.

Put your shopping list and payment card (or cash) in an easy-to-access place -- rummaging around in a purse carries the possibilty of moving virus particles from gloved hands into items in the purse.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 264

In my town, I make sure to wear a face covering, shop at non-peak hours, bring a list, map out my route in the store, and shop quickly, all while maintaining a safe physical distance.  To maintain a distance from employees, I use the self-checkout aisle (but will return to a regular checkout lane once social distancing restrictions are lifted.) Although the card reader is covered in protective plastic, I wrap my sleeve around the pen before using it.

For cooking, make a thorough search of your fridge and freeezer before buying  new food.  Use up what you have on hand, and enjoy experimenting with new flavors and recipes.  Use up leftovers before they go bad.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 264

The idea of having someone shop for you is convenient but I personally prefer to shop for my own groceries. I know what I would select as far as meats and produce and I do not trust an associate to do the same selecting of product that I would.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 264

1. Do your shopping online.  Two food stores in our area allow you to order your groceries online, select a day/time for pick-up, and pay with a credit card.  There is usually a small fee for this service, but you probably save this much by buying sale items.  When your pick-up time comes, you park in a special part of their lot and call the store on your phone.  Someone will bring your groceries out and load them into your car - you don't have to go into the store!  One tip, start your next shopping list online right away so that you can reserve a date/time.  With the pandemic, many stores have been pushed out over a week for pick-ups.  If you start a list now, you can make changes to it up to midnight before your pick-up day.

2.  With the pandemic, we have much more time to cook at home.  It's a good time to try some new recipes and make some things that you normally wouldn't have time for.  I like the idea of cleaning out your freezer/pantry.  Use up some of those items that have been sitting around for a long time.  Anything that you don't use during the pandemic, consider donating it to the food pantry.  If you are not going to use it, maybe someone else can.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 264

Now is the time to empty your pantry and try to use up all the items you bought and forgot about. 

This would be a good use of time and would keep you out of the grocery store by using up the stuff you already have.  Could make for some interesting and creative meals.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 264

Bought lots of eggs because they were on sale probably because of low Easter sales. I made egg salad, something I haven't made in years. Had boiled eggs, something I hadn't had since last Easter and made deviled eggs which I love but don't make very often. I don't have high cholestrol so I'm probably OK with eating several versions of eggs over a four day period but at least they didn't go to waste!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit