Highlighted
Contributor

Re: What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Message 251 of 264

If that works for you terrific.  I find a list helpful for several reasons:   In making the list I arrange the items by section, so I move throught each section and don't meander hunting for different items--list vegetables, list can goods, list dairy--stay on a trail throught the store and out the door.  The sections become my destination rather than a confeti of products.

Also, the stress of this grim disaster rattles ones thinking as when I come home with weird stuff such as   ie.  "I haven't had Sauerkraut in a long time",  forgetting that I remember it from picnic barbacues and really hate sauerkraut.  

"Watch closely. Listen carefully. Make a plan. Carry it out."   

( a quote from Dr. Holiday, not the one your thinking about from Western)

Something we should have done all along

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Message 252 of 264

Eat before you go grocery shopping.   There

is a saying "Your eyes are as big as your stomach."

Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 253 of 264
I have been in lockdown here in Michigan for 2 weeks and have my groceries delivered by Shipt. I find it safer than being in the store right now. I have breathing problems and this works out well for me. Thanks to the shipt workers.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist

Message 254 of 264

HEB, the Texas grocery chain, has a service, called Favor, that employs shoppers who will delivery your orders to your door. It is free for now, but a fee will probably be introduced at some point. The Shipt service from Target, for which I see a Rewards sweeps, is very similar.

It is highly recommended to consider such services at this point, if you can.

Cooking: I have finally been able to get a couple whole chickens. I boil a whole chicken with a layer of potatoes on top, and small amount of salt and maybe some rosemary. When the potatoes are done, the chicken is done.  This process generates 1 to 1.5 gals of broth. Broth and meat are distributed to small containers and frozen for use as needed.

I do need some perishables every 2 to 3 weeks. Milk, eggs, vegetables (I usually just get jalapenos, since they're cheap and abundant). The delivery service can take care of those.

We can do this. It's a bit different than accustomed, but we will manage.

Highlighted

Message 255 of 264

Encourage stores to follow the Trader Joe's model .  

Make aisles one-way

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 256 of 264

My wife and I live with my daughter and son in law. They do all the shopping for us. First off I know that won't be the case for most of you. Please take advantage of curb side pick up and home delivery. Not being able to hand pick your items is not as bad as the virus. We mail order all of our dry goods like razors and shaving cream. We also order puzzles and games to keep us busy. All are delivered by courier to our door. Very safe. Be AS SAFE AS POSSIBLE.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 257 of 264

You said nothing about wearing gloves and masks. That is very negligent and dangerous on your part. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 258 of 264

If you don't have a list you are spending way to much time in the store and will have to return to get things you forgot you needed. It is very important to spend as little time as possible in the store and touch as little as necessary to reduce the risk to your health. 

Highlighted

Message 259 of 264

Food Lion Stores offers curbside pickup by appointment using their easy mobile app.   This is how I'm choosing to shop,

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 260 of 264

the way i grocery shop is easy: i use no plan, only what i would like to get & go. I go into the store look through every isle,  see what i like, & go. i am very concious about low carbs; i read labels to check on sugar content. if it has a high content then no buy but every once in a while i do treat myself  about once every 5 weeks. going in with a list is bad: you usually come out with more than what you originally went for. my way saves money.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards.

Solve your favorite crosswords on AARP Games to earn AARP Rewards points. Try your hand at the Daily Crossword, the Mini Crossword, and Let’s Crossword, the new member game you can play with family and friends. Play Now.

Top Authors