Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Message 241 of 264

How is everyone having such success getting groceries without going into the store?? 

I haven't been able to get a mask, so don't want to go into the stores, but have only been able to get a time slot for curbside pickup once since this started!! 

And ofcourse wasn't able to get many of the items on my list bc of shortages.

I continually try at three different stores and keep getting a 'no slots available at this time, check again later' message.

I have put off getting delivery bc of the fees, I'm on a fixed income, but I am running out of food.  I will look into the Shipt I read about on this board, thank you to those who mentioned it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly

Re: What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Message 242 of 264

Hello Rewards Warriors,

Why split the Community into (4) forums and Management isn't using the section they created for these post😒

Is AARP Rewards objective to create confusion for members with the ridiculous posting maneuvers and extra credit?

Have a Blessed & Safe Day

Marylin

Have

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 243 of 264

We use the delivery service Shipt and have been pleased with their service, however, we don't get our entire order because of outages.  We've only gone into the store one time (and depend soley on the Shipt delivery service) since this whole corona virus thing started and was shocked at what we saw there.  Shelves were empty and bare because people are horting things.  It wouldn't be so bad if you only picked up what you need, not for an entire month or two ~ leave something for other people.  We couldn't get the basics: toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizer, eggs, lunch meat, pasta, etc. ~ and the list goes on.  There are other people who have to eat too!  There's enough food out there for people, but stores don't have the time to re-stock because of the demand.  

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 244 of 264

Are you kidding?  The mail is being handled by a person who has touched mail from other people’s boxes that may have been contaminated.  After I get rid of the mail and also the bags from the grocery store that may be contaminated, I spray the seats and also the car door handles, since my gloves may be contaminated.

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 245 of 264

Spock267; of what possible value is that process?  It is very effective at contaminating your car and spreading viruses.  Think it through before acting.

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 246 of 264

FYI: You can freeze milk and yogurt, so buy as much as you need for a couple of weeks and freeze it.  That will eliminate the extra trips just for dairy.  You can also put bananas in the refrigerator.  The peels get dark but the bananas stay pretty fresh.

Also, despite what some say, I’m putting everything on a table in my basement and spraying ALL packages with Lysol before I bring it to the kitchen.  I’m also not buying fresh produce, unless it’s got a thick peel, like bananas and avocados, or packaged and pre-washed.  I’m mostly buying frozen and washing or spraying the package before putting it in the freezer.

FYI:I’m also being very careful with the mail and mailbox.  Wearing gloves, spraying the handle and inside of the box and spraying the envelopes before opening them.  Not even opening the junk mail.  Just putting it directly into recycle bin.  

When done, washing my hands and my gloves.  Also spraying the car steering wheel, shift, door handles, seats where I laid the packages or mail.

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 247 of 264

Since I am paying my housecleaner to not come and clean, I have asked him to do the shopping for us.  I make a list, email it to him, and he delivers it on the day he was supposed to clean, placing it outside our door.  Works well for him as well as for us, and since we are quite elderly, saves one of us from having to go into the stores.  

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 248 of 264

Wearing Gloves, sure thing. But if you forgot to bring them or want to keep your gloves clean the answer is in the produce aisle so go there 1st! Slip those produce bags over your hands, they work very well and keep them there until you get back in your vehicle. See pic.12825_original.jpg

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 249 of 264

Of course the best is home delivery and then pick pre-orders ar the store.  If physically grocery shopping, wear gloves and mask and wipe down cart handles.  When leaving the store clean  your hands. When getting home, lay bags on the floor and wipe down every item or remove items from their containers.  If buying fruit, wash them all in sopa and water and throw bags away.  Remember to still wash your hands for 20 seconds, especially between the fingers and the thumb and wipe down the areas especially door handles.  Stay safe and smart.

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 250 of 264

The dreaded shopping cart handle. I cover it with 3/4" pipe insulation, keep it in the trunk and use over, washable too. Only $2.27 for 6' enough to do 2 carts. See pic below.

1 in. x 6 ft. Foam Pipe Insulation

• Protect against mold and energy loss for copper- PVC-iron pipes
  • Used to reduce heat loss or heat gain and maximize energy savings
  • For use on 1 in. copper and 3/4 in. iron pipe sizes
everbilt-pipe-insulation-orp05812-64_1000.jpg

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards.

Solve your favorite crosswords on AARP Games to earn AARP Rewards points. Try your hand at the Daily Crossword, the Mini Crossword, and Let’s Crossword, the new member game you can play with family and friends. Play Now.