Highlighted
Contributor

Re: What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Message 211 of 263

My husband is a picky eater.  Pre-social distancing, I only made meals I knew he would eat.  Now, since I have to buy what the grocery store has to offer, I have made some new recipes with ingredients he "didn't like."  Surprise!  He now eats what I put in front of him and he likes it!  I plan to continue this trend after we return to normal.  "Hey Mikey, he likes it!"

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Message 212 of 263

Keep the pantry stocked,grab extra on sale ,rotate the items as new get added . Make 2 meals instead of one,enjoy one dinner ,date and freeze the other. I buy boneless chicken breast ,when I find a sale ,five pounds at a time.Cooked ,I slice slabs and freeze (I use vacuum sealer,worth having) in seperate pack 5-6 slabs to a pack.Easy meal prep ,thaw a pack in the morning for evening chicken soup,salad,stir fry or a sandwich.Same for ground beef on sale, crumble ,brown it and freeze in seperate packs.Again easy ,taco bar ,sloppy joe ,just remember ,like the pantry rotate freezer items. Keep flour and yeast on hand,warm bread and rolls ,make extra for the freezer ,too.It's tough to stay home,but I've never eaten better,lol. BORED? Break out the flour,maybe that oatmeal no body ate,baking can consume a lot of time with a sweet reward.YES, make extra for the freezer,choco chip,sugar,oatmeal cookies ,Yum

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 213 of 263

I try my best to take advantage on items that on sale.  I often make a big pot of soup (either vegetarian and just a little bit of meat for flavor).  I ladle it up fresh for the day and freeze the rest in appropriate size containers (or freezer zip locks).  then I can have soup at any time.  

I have several basic recipes but am flexible using what is on sale at the moment.  

Soup and hot bread is so satisfying.  

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 214 of 263

I always keep extra food and supplies for emergency situations by buying items on sale and using coupons all year long. This kept me away from stores except for minimum visits for perishables.  This ia a good time to use what is on hand down to a lower supply for replenishing when crisis is over. This bad situation can be a learning curve for all for the next crisis; and there will be one.  A time to study up on survival rules.   Be careful. Stay safe.

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 215 of 263

Cooking wise, it’s been rather hard on me because I honestly don’t like to cook so Iv made it more of a challenge by seeing how far I can link foods together to keep the stretching going further.  I create menu plans and try to work from my frig first, using up everything before it has to end up in the trash.  The fun part (ah did I just say, “fun”?🤪) is to find creative and appealing meals out of what I have.  When I went grocery shopping weeks ago, I looked at each item and planned ahead in my mind, how far I could stretch it and how many meals I could get from it.   I realized too, that we had been eating in the past, meals that actually could have been cut in half!Create a fun menuCreate a fun menu

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 216 of 263

I tend to stop by the grocery store a couple of times a week for fresh produce and random things I'm out of. Since I've been trying to avoid going to the store as often, I've been eating more frozen veggies. I've been mostly skipping the convenience foods I buy to take to work, too. Since I'm at home most of the time, I don't need easy to pack things for lunch and snacks. Balancing how much comfort food to buy has been a challenge. The tempation to indulge in emotional eating has been tougher than when I'm working. Trying to keep active and do activities I enjoy like knitting and reading help me with that challenge. 

Highlighted

Message 217 of 263

I located a couple of small farms in the area that sell organic produce and eggs to restaurants. They have excess stock and open for a few hours for home customers. The area farmers market has started providing delivery for selected items as well. There are more options than the grocery store while they may be a bit more expensive and not as expansive, they have interesting and healthy choices.

Highlighted

Re: AARP Rewards Community Contest - Share your tips!

Message 218 of 263

Today I will make large batches of spaghetti sauce and taco meat to be frozen in freezer bags in individual portions for heat up for later meals.  This saves time and money since meat can be purchased in bulk cheaper as well as the other ingredients.  Cooking for one is a hassle, but if you bite the bullet one day, you enjoy the results for weeks to come.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Message 219 of 263

I am fortunate to have a basement where I have a large shelving unit loaded with food stuffs such as soup, jarred spaghetti sauce, dried pasta, canned fruit, cereal, etc. I also have a chest freezer in the garage. These both are replenished throughout the year when items are on sale. I will make dishes like easy beef burgandy and freeze in containers which serve 2. I do the same with chili, bean soup, meat loaf.  I get turkey breast on sale, roast and slice it, divide the meat into packages for 2, cook the bones to make a broth for soup and freeze all. I do the same with chili and bean soup. At any point in time I figure we have enough food to last at least a month with grocery shopping being limited to fresh veggies and dairy products.

I realize not everybody has the luxury of the space we have to store canned goods or a small chest freezer as I didn't always have the space. I think COVID-19 has shown us all that planning ahead can be a good thing.  

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 220 of 263

I've used online grocery shopping with storefront pickup for the first time recently. It has worked well since they text/email with any substitutions that need to be made. You have the option to accept or reject their choices and pay only for the product originally ordered. It's a change to shop less often but I've adapted. I'm also "shopping" my own pantry, using specialty items I had stockpiled and trying new recipes.  

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors