Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Social distancing and stay at home orders have affected the way we shop, cook and eat. What are some tips that you can share on how you have shifted these past weeks?  Are you buying more dry goods and less fresh fruits and vegetables?  Are you shopping online?  Share any tips about cooking or grocery shopping

AARPTeri
Contributor

Last year my husband built me a raised bed in the yard for growing veggies. I had so many I was able to share with neighbors. Tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash. It was so much fun to go out and "harvest". This year I tried peas and green beans. Plus I know its organic because I've not used any fertilizer or pesticides!

Contributor

If you order from Instacart to get home delivery/shopping assistance from Wegmans, be aware that the items you purchase are marked up by Instacart.  So not only do you pay a service charge, delivery charge and tip but you are also paying a premium for the items you order.  I did not realize this until a recent order I had delivered and the cash register receipt was in one of the bags.  When comparing the actual receipt the shopper got vs what I was charged by Instacart I paid an additional $7 on my order of only 14 items.  I understand the delivery charge/service charge and tip for this service, but to charge a premium on the items on the list (mostly food) seems to be a disservice...especially to seniors on a limited income.  Just my opinion!

Contributor

We've been making double batches for our dinners, so they last for 2-3 dinners.  If we don't feel like eating the same dish for the next day, we'll freeze what we don't eat the 1st night and save for later.  

Contributor

my daughter does that and supplies me with "meals on wheels"
0 Kudos

When I shop with my wife we Wes two wagons. I get the heavy stuff and check out. Takes less time.

Buy quickly look everyday for delivery 

Contributor

Find fresh veggies & fruits you can freeze

We do the same, but not just due to the current situation.  Cooking for two is ok, but cooking for 4/2 is even better.  Easy second meal.

0 Kudos
Contributor

have food delivered!
0 Kudos
Contributor

Order meals from locally owned restaurants that way your are helping out your local community:)
Contributor

Go only when you need something and find out if the have a senior day.

Make a menu plan first. Mine normally covers about two weeks. Then check to determine what ingredients you are missing in order to make your menu items. I often plan to make one or two things that I can prepare and freeze for later as well. 

Record your missing ingredients on your grocery list. I organize mine in the following categories, but organize yours in the way that makes the most sense to you:

Produce

Meat

Dry

Refrigerated

Frozen

Other

Be sure to think about breakfast, lunch, and snacks, too. Also think about substitute ingredients in case your store is out of something. 

It would be great if I could get delivery or curbside pickup from my favorite store, but I can't, so this makes my shopping trip much more efficient. 

Go early in the morning because All your online orders gets All of there items first. If they have a Large amount of online orders the  Shelves Gets STRIPPED  before the people who physically goes into the store to shop for our items.

o k
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Where I live, Kroger is much safer to shop at than WalMart. Kroger has a one shopper per household policy, whereas the last 2 times at WalMart, each time there was a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 young children. On one of those trips, one of the kids was coughing constantly, no mask, not covering the cough, and the parents acted oblivious to it.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanks for the tip.
0 Kudos

Hannaford supermarket has a limit of 50 people in the store ad thats great.

Ddddd

0 Kudos

Go early in the morning best time.
Contributor

ALWAYS MAKE A LIST AS ITEMS ARE LOW OR OUT SO YOU WILL KNOW. THIS CUT YOUR TIME FOR GROCERY OR OTHER SHOPPING.

I do.
0 Kudos

I have been ordering groceries through Amazon Fresh, Whole Foods deliviery and Target.com.  I have been too afraid to venture out into the food stores so I try to get delivery times through the websites.  At first it was almost impossible, but now it looks like times are opening up.  I do look forward to the day when I can get go to a food store and not worry about getting sick.

Regular Contributor

I live in Assisted Living and have three meals daily  brought to my apartment since our dining room is closed due to QVD19 therefore I have no need to cook or grocery shop.

Lon
0 Kudos
Contributor

Stay well
0 Kudos

our store is close and as busy.
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

This post should be moved to the Tips forum, or Admin put everything back in (1) forum.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Not many.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I buy dried beans and cook up a pot once a week.  I use some to make a baked bean dish, some to add to soups, and freeze some for future use in bags.  This cuts out the sodium, and one package of dried beans cooks up to replace 4 of the canned style.  Beans with a whole grain like brown rice make a good protein dish.

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone wore a surgical type mask.  Still a lot of people shopping with  no protection (especially for others).

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP