Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Message 191 of 263

I always make a list of the items I need and I check the weekly circular to see the items that are on sale. I ususally go buy chicken or ground chicken once a month. Fruits and vegetables I buy weekly.

When the pandemic started I cooked my favorite foods: chicken cacciatore, chili, spaghetti, eggplant stew.

I bought a new cookbook and I made chicken picatta and sweet potato lasagna.

I have been wearing a mask on my face as suggested by the mayor and governor of New York and I have been practicing social distancing.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Message 192 of 263

Since the weather is getting warmer, I have started planting my cool-weather crops in my garden beds.   This saves me money on groceries and keeps me from having to go to a store to purchase items I can grow.   Most cool-weather crops grow quickly so you do not have to wait long to enjoy them.  

I look online for ideas for cooking food items that we have which gives us a variety of meals instead of using the same recipes.  

Look for days and/or times when customers over 60 years of age can shop.  

I am actually enjoying staying at home more and getting things done that have been on my to-do list.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 193 of 263

We ordered two boxes from a Produce warehouse, one of organic veggies and the other of fruits, then planned our meals around what we were able to pick up.  We also used Instacart, but one coiuld use whatever is local, to get other ingredients, and then have cooked stuffede zuchini and peppers, an egg and vegetable torte, pasta using frozen shrimp from the freezer, lemon, and asparagus, with parmesan.  It's bene fun and healthy!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Rewards Community Contest - Share your tips!

Message 194 of 263

I love bananas and stocked up on them since I was trying to eliminate my visits to the grocery store. Well of course they started to brown faster than I could eat them, (I don't like to eat them in that condition), so I figured I had a few choices...put the bananas in my morning smoothie or make Banana Bread. I did both but was proud of myself for making the Banana Bread. I'm not a baker and never made it before. The end result was so delicious. I found it relaxing and exciting!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 195 of 263

We K.I.S.S. often and KEEP IT SIMPLE SURELY.  We get curbside pickup once a week from a local independent restaurant, ordering enough for a few meals. We shop Senior Hours at our grocery store and get enough for a few weeks, getting sale and store brands to save money.  When we cook, we co-cook, using simple recipes with herbs and spices for full flavor. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 196 of 263

My husband has the habit of buying exotic ingredients every time he tries new recipes, whereas I'm inclined to make do w/ substitutions. As he's been doing most of the cooking lately, we have every kind of flour, seed, grain, spice, curry-paste, you-name-it, & cupboards bursting w/ little-used ingredients. In the be-careful-what-you-wish-for category, I've remarked in exasperation that I wouldn't mind if a natural disaster prevented us from leaving home for a couple weeks (hurricane, tornado, etc), forcing us to use up our bounty of foodstuffs. I know, stupid wish, even in jest. Coronovirus is not what I had in mind. But here we are. One of the upsides to this international tragedy is that in our humble home, we're FINALLY making use of buckwheat flour, garbanzo bean flour, almond flour (among others), jars of beans, lentils, quinoa, barley... We're slowly using up canned & frozen foods. We made soup w/ pumpkin puree that has probably been frozen since 2 Halloweens ago. We've gotten creative, tossing things into omelets and pasta dishes that would otherwise continue aging in cupboard & freezer. I haven't been to the store in 3 wks. We're on our last fresh tangerine, but still have frozen berries. We water down juice, make more tea, use patio herbs, & even dragged out the bread maker! When the shelf-stable nut "milks" run out, we have a box of expired powdered milk. After that, water. I'm determined not to grocery shop until the cupboards are bare. I feel that we could live on what we have for weeks to come. When it comes down to ketchup soup, we'll shop!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 197 of 263

Buy items in bulk whenever possible.  When buying meat in large quantities it can be divided in meal size portions and put into freezer bags. ground Turkey or beef can be made into patties and popped into the oven or air dryer for a quick meal.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 198 of 263

We are trying to use what we have on hand during this time. We use the frozen foods along with our cnned foods. that was we can stay out of the stores and stay safe.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 199 of 263

I like these ideas from Eating Well. Includes shopping list. 

3-Ingredient Pantry Dinners for When You Can't Get to the Grocery Store

http://www.eatingwell.com/article/7677536/3-ingredient-pantry-dinners/

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 200 of 263

How do I turn off the email feed from this board topic

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors