Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Message 221 of 263

that glove only works as long as the last thing that it has touched. you are still transfering the virus with everything that you touch like your nose or steering wheel. sanitizer and being aware of what you are doing might be a good way yo keep it to a minimum

g626
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Message 222 of 263

We are using this time of social distancing to shop healthy and eat right. As we are only shopping every 7-10 days, we are not buying junk or snack foods. I am making lots of soups. Buy rotisserie chickens. The meat will make several meals but make sure to use the bones for chicken stock! Keep on hand onions, carrots, celery and garlic. A $5-6 chicken is such a bargain. Many of my friends are posting cartoons about how they are gaining weight now, but there is no reason for this. As an added bonus, don't throw away the celery bottoms. Set in shallow dish of water and start a new celery plant! Buy one grow many in the future!

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 223 of 263

shelf stable foods that require minimal prep are the way i been keeping the pantry stocked. i am a one person household but the family size packages can be reportioned so only the amount i need is used. there is more time for preparing a more elaborate meal so using the items that have been pushed to the back are getting some use. i get to the grocery store every 2 weeks so there is minimal contact with the crowds. the stores are being very carful about the amount of people in the store and the other customers have been aware of the space they are taking up with their cart and body.

g626
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 224 of 263

Wasting food is my pet peeve - so I am making an extra effort to be mindful with leftovers. I love having them and have been trying to incorporate them into another meal. (Then they are no longer “leftovers” but “next-overs”!)

And any foods can be eaten at any meal- leftover spaghetti is good anytime! Leftover retried beans taste great on toast for breakfast or lunch etc. 

Anyway, doing these small things has enabled me to stretch what I have without necessarily cooking a whole other meal. I have also found some new favorites that I will continue on my menu!

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Re: Buy two

Message 225 of 263

No need to fear if you are prepared. One way to prepare your family for a crisis is to store food so  there will be no need for panic buying. It's easy to build a supply of food. When shopping buy two non perishable items instead of one. One to eat right away and the other to put away for a later time. Purchase foods such as rice, beans, grains, that will store easily and doesn't expire for a few years. Start building your food storage with one can, box, package of food at a time rotating the food as needed. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 226 of 263

Something I've recently begun doing is saving ALL parts of the fresh veggies I purchase, freezing them to bulk up soups and stews later.  Don't like the entire asparagus spear?  The broccoli stems?  The mustard greens stems? Chop them up, toss them into a gallon Ziplo, and freeze for later use. Then add to the bag as you purchase other things.  Be sure to wash them!

Message 227 of 263

Many of us are less active now necessitating diligence about nutrition. Use one of the many free apps to track all your food and drink to help guide you to healthy, lower calorie meals. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 228 of 263

We have been purchasing larger store-brand products but eating smaller portions when we prepare meals. 

We buy more user-friendly supplies...more frozen or canned goods.  These will last longer and not spoil as quickly as fresh produce. 

We always shop ads/discounts to save money and stock up.  From the weekly ads, we plan menus to use the items more efficiently.

We always shop from a list and shop early in the day.

We have attempted to limit non-essential items.....examples include sodas, sweets, alcohol, etc.

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 229 of 263

Not so much different than before, but at the beginning of March it looked like this was going to be a problem for us I took action then. In the 1970's my husband was on strike from his factory for 6 wks. We were fortunate he was able to work some for his dad at the the farm . When contract came up again every  3 yrs l planned ahead and started about 2 months beforehand to stock pile food and such.   So when it looked like this would be a problem I went into strike mode.  We only need to replenish perishables.  All cupboards,  closets, and freezer are loaded. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Message 230 of 263

1. I buy milk in the cardboard containers as they have a longer shelf life than in the plastic containers, it may cost a bit more but we don't have any go bad and we stretch out our grocery store trips.

2. I make a grocery list specific to a meal plan so I get in and out of the store quicker than my usual browsing.

3. We have 3 grocery stores within a mile so I used to shop multiple stores for sale prices, I keep it to one store now to reduce my time out in the public.  The lost savings are better than the potential medical costs.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors