Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Message 231 of 262

Although we live five minutes away from three grocery stores, we chose to shop just once a week, and only in the early morning hours. We have been doing meal planning for about four years, and that saves time and money. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Message 232 of 262
I make a meal plan for the week , make a shopping list for items I'm out of to complete each meal. I try to check sales and availability of item at 3 different stores. If available I print out the grocery store layout 
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 233 of 262

We were in the habit of buying on impulse and then going out to get extra ingredients as needed.  
With social distancing we go out once a week with a firm list and then scan reciopes to find fun things to make.  Portions are easier to make smaller because we make just enough now.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 234 of 262

I have purchased my groceries on-line for the last four times.

I will do go out until the time is proven to be better for us.

Senior are at more danger than many.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 235 of 262

67CAA743-30B7-46FA-8F4B-A21C37F8D9CB.jpeg

769E57EF-98F9-438D-BF35-420A5747C002.jpeg

I'm making n95 equivalent masks from hepa vacuum bags saw it on youtube

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 236 of 262

Most grocery stores are adding the next open slotted at midnight every night and are now waiving the curbside pickup fee and bag fee as well.  I  have set my alarm for midnight to do my weekly shopping order. It's a pain to have to do that but it's the only to insure your ability to horder. Grocery stores in my area in Oregon are currently running a full week behind in filling grocery orders. Also, I  found out by asking the people who work at the little, corner mom & pop stores that they have items that the regular grocery stores are  out of. Like toilet paper, napkins, milk, eggs, butter, bread etc. even hand sanitizer. It also helps to call a store before going there. A lot of stores have shortened their to have more to re-sanitize their stores before the next business day.

In regard to your not being able to purchase masks, you can wear a scarf placed over your mouth and nose and tie it at the back of your head so it fits snug. You can usually purchase bandannas at most stores  as well. The little mom and pop store up from my home is selling reusable, washable masks too. You just have to ask them. Also, you can get the pattern to make masks from material online or at a fabric store. They're easy enough to make by hand if you don't have a sewing machine. 

Hope this info help you.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 237 of 262

FYI: there are some new websites that show how to make your own masks very easily by simply folding fabric and using two rubber bands.  Here’s a good one:

https://m.facebook.com/berlinofficialband/videos/523495618531994/

Good luck!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 238 of 262

This is a time to give up certain items you are used to purchasing and get alternatives that don't expire quickly.

One stop to Costco to buy quanity and organic at a lower price.

Replace Cows milk with many options of a milk carten that doesnt need refrigeration until opened. Anyone of these Milks listed in order of my favorites

Almond Milk

Coconut Milk

Cashew Milk

Rice Milk 

Some of these Milks are flavored and sweetened, I prefer unsweetened plain .

I use it in cereal, coffee, smoothies. A great drink to swallow down your supplements or medications.

Lasts for months...Enjoy!

Another go to item there is large bags of frozen berries.

Blueberries

Mixed berries and more.

I live alone so it stores for a long time and I use as needed straight from the freezer.

You can use it is smoothies instead of ice or an addition. 

It is yummy in a micro for 10 seconds or less to use on ice cream, in yogurt, on your oatmeal or cereal. 

The berries are safer to eat and have the same nutritional value!

Things that last a long time to stock up on if you want dairy.

All Cheeses..stay away from processed cheese....so many more delicious cheeses that last in your Frig.  

BTW jarred fig jams or perserves are a wonderful accoutrement. 

Dried beans are a great source of protein and fiber. Get creative with them.

If you do buy fresh veggies..make yourself a chili and freeze...dont forget to get freezer bags.

I bought several bags or lemons, oranges and grapefruit. juice and zip lock into your freezer. 

Great for cleansing and nothing like a hot tea of lemon and water.

Essential healthy alternatives to sugar with health benefits buy Molasses and Honey..a boost to so many things. Get creative.

So more high protein to buy other than freezing meat ...Canned tuna, sardines, oysters!

I keep crackers once I open in frig. Lots of my dried items are refrigerater

Buy rice and large jars of capers, 203 mgs of protein in one Tbs. of capers makes your rice so tasty

you can add any frozen veggie like peas or corn. I love avacados too. 

Costco has small packages of avacodo and humus..yum with their millet flax crackers.

Eggs hard boiled peeled in frig are a quick protein snack

Jello..yum with manderin oranges and cool whip 

Hope this was helpful!

Nancy Iannitelli

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 239 of 262

How is everyone having such success getting groceries without going into the store?? 

I haven't been able to get a mask, so don't want to go into the stores, but have only been able to get a time slot for curbside pickup once since this started!! 

And ofcourse wasn't able to get many of the items on my list bc of shortages.

I continually try at three different stores and keep getting a 'no slots available at this time, check again later' message.

I have put off getting delivery bc of the fees, I'm on a fixed income, but I am running out of food.  I will look into the Shipt I read about on this board, thank you to those who mentioned it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 240 of 262

Hello Rewards Warriors,

Why split the Community into (4) forums and Management isn't using the section they created for these post😒

Is AARP Rewards objective to create confusion for members with the ridiculous posting maneuvers and extra credit?

Have a Blessed & Safe Day

Marylin

Have

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE