Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Community Manager
Community Manager

What tips can you share for grocery shopping and cooking while social distancing?

Social distancing and stay at home orders have affected the way we shop, cook and eat. What are some tips that you can share on how you have shifted these past weeks?  Are you buying more dry goods and less fresh fruits and vegetables?  Are you shopping online?  Share any tips about cooking or grocery shopping

AARPTeri
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Rewards Warriors,

Why split the Community into (4) forums and Management isn't using the section they created for these post😒

Is AARP Rewards objective to create confusion for members with the ridiculous posting maneuvers and extra credit?

Have a Blessed & Safe Day

Marylin

Have

0 Kudos
Contributor

We use the delivery service Shipt and have been pleased with their service, however, we don't get our entire order because of outages.  We've only gone into the store one time (and depend soley on the Shipt delivery service) since this whole corona virus thing started and was shocked at what we saw there.  Shelves were empty and bare because people are horting things.  It wouldn't be so bad if you only picked up what you need, not for an entire month or two ~ leave something for other people.  We couldn't get the basics: toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizer, eggs, lunch meat, pasta, etc. ~ and the list goes on.  There are other people who have to eat too!  There's enough food out there for people, but stores don't have the time to re-stock because of the demand.  

Periodic Contributor

FYI: You can freeze milk and yogurt, so buy as much as you need for a couple of weeks and freeze it.  That will eliminate the extra trips just for dairy.  You can also put bananas in the refrigerator.  The peels get dark but the bananas stay pretty fresh.

Also, despite what some say, I’m putting everything on a table in my basement and spraying ALL packages with Lysol before I bring it to the kitchen.  I’m also not buying fresh produce, unless it’s got a thick peel, like bananas and avocados, or packaged and pre-washed.  I’m mostly buying frozen and washing or spraying the package before putting it in the freezer.

FYI:I’m also being very careful with the mail and mailbox.  Wearing gloves, spraying the handle and inside of the box and spraying the envelopes before opening them.  Not even opening the junk mail.  Just putting it directly into recycle bin.  

When done, washing my hands and my gloves.  Also spraying the car steering wheel, shift, door handles, seats where I laid the packages or mail.

Contributor

Since I am paying my housecleaner to not come and clean, I have asked him to do the shopping for us.  I make a list, email it to him, and he delivers it on the day he was supposed to clean, placing it outside our door.  Works well for him as well as for us, and since we are quite elderly, saves one of us from having to go into the stores.  

Periodic Contributor

Wearing Gloves, sure thing. But if you forgot to bring them or want to keep your gloves clean the answer is in the produce aisle so go there 1st! Slip those produce bags over your hands, they work very well and keep them there until you get back in your vehicle. See pic.12825_original.jpg

Regular Contributor

Of course the best is home delivery and then pick pre-orders ar the store.  If physically grocery shopping, wear gloves and mask and wipe down cart handles.  When leaving the store clean  your hands. When getting home, lay bags on the floor and wipe down every item or remove items from their containers.  If buying fruit, wash them all in sopa and water and throw bags away.  Remember to still wash your hands for 20 seconds, especially between the fingers and the thumb and wipe down the areas especially door handles.  Stay safe and smart.

Periodic Contributor

The dreaded shopping cart handle. I cover it with 3/4" pipe insulation, keep it in the trunk and use over, washable too. Only $2.27 for 6' enough to do 2 carts. See pic below.

1 in. x 6 ft. Foam Pipe Insulation

• Protect against mold and energy loss for copper- PVC-iron pipes
  • Used to reduce heat loss or heat gain and maximize energy savings
  • For use on 1 in. copper and 3/4 in. iron pipe sizes
everbilt-pipe-insulation-orp05812-64_1000.jpg

Contributor

Spock267; of what possible value is that process?  It is very effective at contaminating your car and spreading viruses.  Think it through before acting.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Are you kidding?  The mail is being handled by a person who has touched mail from other people’s boxes that may have been contaminated.  After I get rid of the mail and also the bags from the grocery store that may be contaminated, I spray the seats and also the car door handles, since my gloves may be contaminated.

Contributor

Eat before you go grocery shopping.   There

is a saying "Your eyes are as big as your stomach."

0 Kudos

Encourage stores to follow the Trader Joe's model .  

Make aisles one-way

Contributor

My wife and I live with my daughter and son in law. They do all the shopping for us. First off I know that won't be the case for most of you. Please take advantage of curb side pick up and home delivery. Not being able to hand pick your items is not as bad as the virus. We mail order all of our dry goods like razors and shaving cream. We also order puzzles and games to keep us busy. All are delivered by courier to our door. Very safe. Be AS SAFE AS POSSIBLE.

Periodic Contributor

I did reply to this, but I continue to receive this. I receive this request about 20 times. Please look at this and change it. Thanks
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

HEB, the Texas grocery chain, has a service, called Favor, that employs shoppers who will delivery your orders to your door. It is free for now, but a fee will probably be introduced at some point. The Shipt service from Target, for which I see a Rewards sweeps, is very similar.

It is highly recommended to consider such services at this point, if you can.

Cooking: I have finally been able to get a couple whole chickens. I boil a whole chicken with a layer of potatoes on top, and small amount of salt and maybe some rosemary. When the potatoes are done, the chicken is done.  This process generates 1 to 1.5 gals of broth. Broth and meat are distributed to small containers and frozen for use as needed.

I do need some perishables every 2 to 3 weeks. Milk, eggs, vegetables (I usually just get jalapenos, since they're cheap and abundant). The delivery service can take care of those.

We can do this. It's a bit different than accustomed, but we will manage.

I have been in lockdown here in Michigan for 2 weeks and have my groceries delivered by Shipt. I find it safer than being in the store right now. I have breathing problems and this works out well for me. Thanks to the shipt workers.
Contributor

You said nothing about wearing gloves and masks. That is very negligent and dangerous on your part. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

that glove only works as long as the last thing that it has touched. you are still transfering the virus with everything that you touch like your nose or steering wheel. sanitizer and being aware of what you are doing might be a good way yo keep it to a minimum

g626
0 Kudos

Food Lion Stores offers curbside pickup by appointment using their easy mobile app.   This is how I'm choosing to shop,

Trusted Contributor

the way i grocery shop is easy: i use no plan, only what i would like to get & go. I go into the store look through every isle,  see what i like, & go. i am very concious about low carbs; i read labels to check on sugar content. if it has a high content then no buy but every once in a while i do treat myself  about once every 5 weeks. going in with a list is bad: you usually come out with more than what you originally went for. my way saves money.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I could not disagree more. This is not time for browsing. It is not safe for you or the people who are working in the stores. Please be considerate.

Contributor

If that works for you terrific.  I find a list helpful for several reasons:   In making the list I arrange the items by section, so I move throught each section and don't meander hunting for different items--list vegetables, list can goods, list dairy--stay on a trail throught the store and out the door.  The sections become my destination rather than a confeti of products.

Also, the stress of this grim disaster rattles ones thinking as when I come home with weird stuff such as   ie.  "I haven't had Sauerkraut in a long time",  forgetting that I remember it from picnic barbacues and really hate sauerkraut.  

"Watch closely. Listen carefully. Make a plan. Carry it out."   

( a quote from Dr. Holiday, not the one your thinking about from Western)

Something we should have done all along

0 Kudos
Contributor

If you don't have a list you are spending way to much time in the store and will have to return to get things you forgot you needed. It is very important to spend as little time as possible in the store and touch as little as necessary to reduce the risk to your health. 

I sat down with my husband and we planned out 20 meals. I was shopping only once. I purchased all the meat I needed with extra for the freezer. Also, I bought canned veggies including canned potatoes. (the extra sodium isn't going to kill us as quickly as the virus might). Included in the list was rice, dried beans, lentils, grains and eggs with the longest date. I already have the basics. Now we are all set for food and have time to create some fun meals.

Contributor

With the shortage of protective masks, please watch this video that shows how to make a mask out of material that you have at home:

If the video does not play, copy and paste this URL into the address bar of your computer web browser:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJaVBt8q6g8

Stay safe everyone and ask someone to shop for you when possible.

Contributor

I would like to bring to your attention that American Express has a credit card

that offers 6% CASH rebate on all groceries with the exception of the COSCO

and Sams Club along with Walmart.  Still what a deal.  The card does cost

$90 per year after the first year.  Just thought you would like to know.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP