Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Bronze Conversationalist

Tripled Charge for Gift Cards

I was in contact with AARP Rewards.

On September 12th, I purchased 3 gift cards for $18 each for a total of $54.  When I submitted it, I got an error.  However, after speaking with a representative, the charge went through and I received my 3 gift cards.  Two days later, on September 14th, I was charged $54 two more times (for a total of $108).  So....I was charged $162 for the three gift cards.  

I was told I will hear from someone within 5 business days.

IF YOU PURCHASED ANY GIFT CARDS IN MID SEPTEMBER, CHECK YOUR CREDIT CARD STATEMENT TO MAKE SURE YOU WERE NOT TRIPLE CHARGED.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Same for me. Tried to purchase on 9/19, got error.  Called Rewards to make sure charge did not go through because it was showing as "pending" with credit card company.  Was assured that that charge didn't go through and it was only an authorization.  Well charge is on my bill now, and no cards.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@ShawnC715351 Thanks for letting us know, Shawn. I'm terribly sorry for this error. I reviewed your account and see that this was escalated on Sept 27. Please allow up to 3-5 business days for resolution. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

So problem is, the payment for my cruise is due today! And since you are telling us there is no alternative to get the cards, there is no "resolution" other than refunding the fraudulent charge. We members have been more than patient during this debacle for over 3 weeks. One of the "benefits" of my membership is going to cost me $500. We the members deserve a better explanation!

Contributor

My card has now been charged 3 times + credited 2x - but no gift cards at all.  I tried to purchase on 9/20.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the heads up.  You should also call your credit card company to dispute the extra charges and have them reversed.

0 Kudos
Contributor

AARP has been excellent and fast in correcting the credit card charges.  But there does not seem to be any solution to the actual problem of purchasing gift cards.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I wouldn't say fast in correcting.  My "escalated" issue wasn't credited until 10/5. Which was after I finally reported it to my card holder as fraudulent. And I'm still out the $450 in savings I lost.  And the credit has not officially shown on my statement yet.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP