Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 1 of 341

I had 4 avocados at the beginning of the COVID-19 stay-at-home orders.  As we ate them, I saved the pits and did something that I did when we were first married and too poor to grow plants.  I pushed 3 toothpicks into the top of each avocado pit, equally distant around, and suspended the bottom of the pits in water in a disposable cup.  Once the roots grow out the bottom (about 3 weeks) and the sprouts grow out the top (about 6 weeks), you can then start to add soil to the water, about 1 tablespoon per day, so as not to shock the roots too much. Once the cup is full of solid soil, put it into a small (4" diameter) pot with holes in the bottom.  I don't have gravel for the bottom, so I put old corks (from wine bottles) so that the water can drain, and netting below all that (from used, washed pantihose, so the soil does not drain out).  Be sure to put a small plate below the pot, for water to drain.  If you have a garden, you can re-plant in the garden once the plant tis about 2 feet high.  3 of 4 of my pits grew roots, 2 of 4 have sprouted so far.  You can do this with mango seeds too (check youtube for directions).  It's so nice to watch the plants' daily progress!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 341

We are splitting our daylilies. We have 250 different kinds and 25 of them have Star Trek names. So far we have split about half of the daylilies and it has taken us a week but we lost one day to rain.

My husband digs the lilies, and I move them to a table where I trim the tops, pull them apart, and label them. I have advertised on Next Door to give them to other gardeners. I am sending the Star Trek ones to my cousin.

It is a lot of work and my hands are sore.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 341

I bought a savings bond once a month for about 30 years at work, keeping them in my safe deposit box as a sort of "doomsday" fund.

Now after 30 years, they are reaching maturity and stop earning interest. I used to take them to the bank teller every few months, and go through the tedious process of cashing them in. Some young tellers have never seen one before!!

5 years ago I sent half of them off to the Federal Reserve bank in Minnesota. The process worked beautifully.

Each month the bank tells me when a bond has matured and I'm able to direct deposit in my checking account.No more trips to the bank.

So I will send the other half off soon!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 341

I've moved about 75 clumps of lilly-of-the-valley from under trees where it grows prolifically to under other trees where grass does not grow because of poor sunlight.

I've been moving about 10 clumps each year; this year I accelerated the process with so much time on my hands. I find it doesn't hurt the looks of the 'field" of the lillies because they grow so hardy.

I've not had much success with store bought ground covers that are supposed to spread. This process is working. It saves money, and it's reasonable exercise!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 341

Great time to try Door Dash or Grub Hub for the first time

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 341

knit, crochet, paint, make jewelry, make Christmas ornaments etc etc

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 341

Container gardening planted

12 containers in last 2 mornings, love digging in the dirt, each pot is different assortment of plantings,  porch sitters and walkway whimsy, vegetable and herb pots line the deck, and cherry tomatoes plants hopefully to yield their fruits by July 4th!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 341

To reuse the mask, don't wash it. Put it in the oven at 170 degrees for 5 minutes.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 341
In South Lake Tahoe, many neighbors are using Nextdoor to give away unwanted items. You can arrange pickup without any contact with the person who wants an item. Because it's mostly your neighbors, it's not as sketchy as Craigslist.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 341

The hospital is washing masks, they have an opening for a filter which is disposable after use. They have specified cotton that is washable and able to withstand washing in hot water and soap to sterilize them. Is the oven method for the filter material?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors