Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Tell us: What projects have you taken on? What advice can you share?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Tell us: What projects have you taken on? What advice can you share?

What projects have you taken on? How have you accomplished tasks by being resourceful with what you have on hand? What advice do you have to help others through similar projects? Share your ideas here and earn 50 AARP Rewards points for participating in this weekly discussion. We also will choose one post as our weekly winning post for an additional prize: a $50 HelloFresh gift card.  Click here to see our Rules for participating. 

AARPTeri
Contributor

Made a verticle herb garden.  Painted a found 5 foot 1x4 board with existing paint.  Spray painted some tin cans.  Punched holes in the bottom of the cans.  Bolted the cans to the board (vertically).  Filled cans with potting soil and herb seeds.  All recycled materials meaning not trips to the store during the pandemic.

Contributor

Subscribing to email lists for local independant theaters can get you information on how to rent movies to stream from home with proceeds supporting your local theater. Similarly, following live action stage theaters in your local area on social media or through their email lists can provide you information on their virtual events that can also help fund their overhead and staff while you receive educational and entertaining content from the safety of your home. Choosing these options rather than existing subscription services like Netflix or Amazon Prime will help direct much-needed funds to your suffering local arts community and not just to companies booming in this time of quarantine. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My husband is an essential worker, so i found myself looking for creative outlets; so I have started painting with water colors, started blogging again, begun merge/purge preparing to downsize, and picked learning spanish!!!

I had watercolor paints and brushes from when my daughter were in high school and decided that would be such a creative outlet for me.  I have looked up you tube videos to learn more about water colors and techniques.

I had already had a blog set up as I love to write--but the past couple of years have taken away that priority for me.  So I set aside a time a couple of days a week and started writing again!  

The merge/purge process has obviously been the most challenging as it is hard to sift through 35 years of memories, collections, etc., that may no longer be of use to us as we prepare to retire this year.  I'm actually doing it in phases room by room (i tried the Marie Condo method but it was too intense for my brain!). 

Also, i've enjoyed gardening for years, and it has been such an outlet to get out in the yard and dig in the dirt, walk barefoot in the grass and just sit in the sun soaking up much needed Vitamin D.  I'm finding it's the simple things that fill my soul these days!  Also these are things that I will continue to do after all this has passed!

Contributor

My husband and I have been doing a lot of work in our garden. I joined the Master Gardener program a couple of years ago (which I highly recommend) and I received some plants from the project we were working on. I saved them over the winter in pots and then we planted them this Spring. I put many of my annual or new plants in pots and then put them in my greenhouse or garage and then they survive the Winter. I re-use all of my old plant containers, yogurt containers, and plastic that cannot be recylced and use them for planting seeds and young seedlings. I feel so much better when I can get outside and stay productive.

We have started to go through all of the things in our basement. Creating a huge pile to either donate or list on MarketPlace for sale.

Also, going through cabinets in the kitchen and livingroom. Creating places to store needed items and getting rid of unused things, or toys the girls have outgrown.

Contributor

I have removed the dead flowers from the flower bed, trimmed the rose bushes, if that's what you would call them. Lined the flowerbed with black bedding plastic to keep from having to weed as often. I have lined the flowerbed with landscaping rocks. When I can I plan to get some colored pebbles to lay in the bed. We are also planning to freshen the paint inside and out very soon.

Periodic Contributor

I've been taking all my old photos and scanning them into the computer (actually, onto an external hard drive).  I know I can also save them on the cloud, but then I'd probably need to keep adding more space there and then there's the continual cost.  I purchased an external drive with 2T of memory (which have really come down in price) and I know that will hold me for a long time.  This helps me to unclutter the house and then to organize the phtos better.  I have my parents' photos, my photos, and my husband's family photos. Once you get into the swing of it, it goes much faster.  I also know places like Staples does this too, but I would still need to go through them first and doing it myself, I can see which I still want and which can be tossed (for instance, if they are old vacation photos that were never identified, I have no idea what mountain range I'm looking at, so unless there is something about the photography itself I like, it gets tossed).

Contributor

Been planting rose bushes in my backyard and staining my fence.....always read instuctions/directions on plants, what time of the year best to plant and what type of sun light they require.

Contributor

Just sold our home (hooray). Now placing pictures/photos around our new apartment.  We cut out the exact size of wrapping paper, position it on the wall.  Then we mount the picture/photo on top of the paper (which has the wall hanger correctly mounted), and pull the paper off. Ahhh.  Perfect.

Contributor

I'm polishing the heritage silver.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Fixing the grout between my kitchen tiles. They bother me when I see them; there will never be a better time to fix them.

Mix up a batch of grout in an old pie tin. I apply it with a paint scraper.Let it sit for a day or two and clean the edges. 

Glad I did it.

Contributor

When I retired last year I never thought the rest of the world was going to stay at home.  I love to enter sweepstakes, so while having my coffee in the morning I do my contest.  Afternoons I walk.  On weekends my husband and I do things we have been wanting to do with the house and just never seem to have time.  We presently have removed the dead bushes in front and fixing that area up.  We remodeled out walk-in closet. (WOW what items we found) We have several other projects we plan to do.  Keeping busy is the key.

Contributor

GARDENING:

I've started a garden of vegetables and flowers. I've sowed some seeds inside under lights, some are in my little green house and some I winter sowed in milk jugs that just sit outside and do their thing until ready to transplant. I've started transplanting some of the cooler weather vegetables and will start transplanting the warmer weather plants over the next few weeks.

In addition I've been building trellises for my garden using what I have and what I have are lots and lots of sticks. I have built several of them and today I built one for my grape vine. It's fun, therapeutic, good exercise, fresh air, and sunshine (mostly).

Also, I have been taking classes online to learn more about gardening and permaculture as well as a few other related subjects.

ADVICE: I'm new to this, so my advice would be "Just Start". If it fails, learn from it and try again. Even seasoned Gardeners don't always have success and are always learning, so just start and have Fun!

BREAD MAKING:

I'm trying to perfect my bread making, so I have been taking classes and doing a lot of reading online and of course baking; lots and lots of baking. I am mostly making sourdough right now, but I also make other types of bread as well. I love to bake and fresh homemade bread is so good. Same advice as gardening, just start and keep trying until you get it. I can make a perfect loaf one day and the next day it may not be as good or just not good at all, but I try to figure out why and learn from it. Don't be afraid to try and to experiment. Wonderful tasty things can happen when you do!

BIRDS:

We've set up a few bird feeders with seeds as well as hummer feeders filled with nectar for the hummingbirds. We now have a large variety of birds and squirrels visiting the feeders and surrounding the property. I love to watch and Photograph them as well as all the flowers springing to life. The next project is to come up with a bird bath for them as well. My advice: If you put out a bird feeder, make sure it has a squirrel guard, so they can't climb up to the feeder. They will get plenty of seeds on the ground. Make your own hummer nectar, it's easy. 1/2 Cup sugar mixed into 2 Cups boiling water. Let cool. Do Not use red dye. It's not good for them. Enjoy!

Contributor

Learning to paint art tissue paper like Eric Carle. Next step is making pics for the grands! Wish I had flat drawers to store my different color sheets. Such fun reading his books to the grands, just like to their moms w/ a few new ones I thought the grands just NEEDED!

Contributor

That sounds interesting. Will have to look up how to do that. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Where do I start? I was going to paint a couple of rooms, repair some deck boards, and get a head start on the summer garden, tomato's, peppers, etc. But, I live in Michigan and our wonderful governor stopped it all. Went to Home Depot, paint and supplies were roped off, could not purchase paint or lumber. Cannot even go out on the lake fishing in my boat. Tried the local farm, could not get plants, they were closed! Ah, but I could go to the store and get lottery, liquor, and down to the pot store, stand in a long line for weed. I guess rather than be productive in my state I can only get drunk and high. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I just posted a reply by clicking on the yellow Reply tab at the top of the page instead of this one & don't see my post anywhere. How do I get the 50 Rewards points and where did my post go?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@gettinOhlder2   Your post appeared in this thread.  You can also go to your profile page and see all your posts - click on your name when logged in.  You will get the 50 points within 48 hours.

Thanks for your participation!

AARPTeri
0 Kudos

Hey 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have scraped all the wallpaper off in my kitchen, dining room, living room and one bedroom in my home. One wall or section at a time, taking a rest between days of scraping and cleaning up the mess, what a job. I hope to get my home painted before I sell it and move to an apartment.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

It was perfect timing for spring cleaning and I felt so good after taking down my curtains, cleaning windowsills, and putting fresh ones back up! I won a box of eraser sponges from a site called Top Hatter and used one to finally get the deisel & coal stove spots off the roof of my car (they don't just wash or scrub off!)  I've also been going through things to cull out items to sell or donate as things open back up.  With the extra time at home, I've been keeping up better with daily cleaning tasks as well.  Used to be so diligent but my disabilities challenge me to do tasks that were once much easier for me.  

The foster cat I have is really enjoying the extra time & attention, too.  She's over 10 yrs old, seems to be deaf and takes picky eating to the extreme, but she's cuddly & very playful, especially when a catnip mouse is involved!  

Although I've missed activities at the Senior Center, it has been easier for me, as a retired person, to cope with the stay-at-home guidelines than it must be for those with lost jobs & families to support.  I've spent lots of time online staying connected with people & causes that I care about.  The one thing I haven't gotten around to is reading some of the books I've been planning to - lol.

0 Kudos

I have been baking from my past card version of recipes. The one's passed down by families and friends. When I am baking these great oldies, it brings happiness to my face. Then I make sure to double up on the recipe, so that when I go for my walks, I bring along these baked goodies to share. That way I can share the happiness with others, to spread the joy among my neighbors and the people that have to work to assist us in these days!  To me it's a way to give them a hug or just a kind gesture that will lift their spirits. It's simple and a small gesture, but it makes me smile even more than cooking them. To know that I could bring some happiness to them!

0 Kudos
Contributor

The project I have been spending the most time on is weeding the back yard out.  I never put a lawn in 32 years ago when I bought this house new. It did not include a lawn in the backyard & I noticed a lot of purple lupin growing inthe yard.  I take out the other weeds & leave the lupin to seed the yard during the next wildflower season. I've also made sure I work in the early morning or late in the day. I have a lot of lady bugs, honey bees & bumble bees visiting me while I am working in the back yard.  We have been talking about having a BBQ with the hibasti filled with coals.  To start the fire I have been saving lint from the dryer in a plastic bag to use as a fire starter for the coals.  Worked great earlier this year on a camping trip. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

What a great idea!

0 Kudos

Not being able to go to the gym, so my husband and I have walked the track for 2 miles plus. We've taken on our home flower garden. It has been a time of togetherness for us. It's been good. 

0 Kudos

I purchased a wooden footstool from a second hand store months ago and stuck it in the back of a closet because it needed to be recovered.  I finally found the time to go and pick out the fabric and then took the stool apart so I could staple the new fabric on the top.  WOW!  What a difference it made and now I have a useful piece of furniture for my living room instead of something clutttering up my closet.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have been de-cluttering like most people I'm sure, but the down side is you can't donate anything right now. I'm a big jigsaw puzzle fan, and over the years, some puzzles have lost pieces etc. I'm completing puzzles and recycling the rest that are missing pieces. I'm a gardening fan and LOVE to start my own seeds!  Since I'm home now I have more time to nurture and baby those seedlings and will have some to share with friends.  Weather has been most uncooperative here, but trying to get out and walk my dog every day and clean up the yard.  Trying to avoid shopping, so looking at recipes I can cook and freeze, but you still need those fresh veggies and fruits!

0 Kudos

I supported my local yarn shop (LYS), and started a knit along project. An easy hobby to do while watching my favorite shows. Found my hand weights, do arm exercises during commercials, sometimes dance during commercials with good music.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've been doing some of my favorite arts & crafts (wood works and painting), organizing and decluttering the closets and doing lots of cooking & baking.

0 Kudos
Contributor

All my cds that are collecting dust and not being enjoyed are getting digitized so I can hear my favorites again.  I'm organizing playlists before downloading to a new updated mp3 player with bluetooth. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP