Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Tell us: What projects have you taken on? What advice can you share?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Tell us: What projects have you taken on? What advice can you share?

What projects have you taken on? How have you accomplished tasks by being resourceful with what you have on hand? What advice do you have to help others through similar projects? Share your ideas here and earn 50 AARP Rewards points for participating in this weekly discussion. We also will choose one post as our weekly winning post for an additional prize: a $50 HelloFresh gift card.  Click here to see our Rules for participating. 

AARPTeri
Contributor

You can try watching all those Netflix and Amazon and on-Demand free TV shows you never got around to.  Or reading those gigantic books, like War and Peace. Takes you right out of yourself and lets you worry about someone else for a good long while.   Better than valium.  Will put you right to sleep.  Also, slow gentle exercises and stretches.  And very important -- don't forget to breathe!  Get up, deep breaths as much as you can, one or two, walk around if you are able OK?  And do check in with a friend.  It helps.  

Paula C. Brancato
HBS MBA 1982
BrancatoNY@aol.com
0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@FrankC128608, please consult your medical professional or healthcare provider.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Walking the dog and walking the stairs to the basement and back up again works for me.

Blessings to all.....I'm playing games on my laptop.....loving it!!!!!Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Keep communicating with family and friends; do not seclude yourselve.  We have been unsing an app for smartphones (Houseparty). Besides having live the people you are talking to, you can also play trivia games in a group.  Fun stuff !!!

Periodic Contributor

Masks aren't the only way to protect ourselves.  Dig out those old gloves you haven't worn since Winter.  I don't touch a door handle or elevator button without my hands being covered.  Even, fruits, veggies and can goods were handled by people whose health status we don't know.  When I get home, the gloves come off and are left in the garage until the virus dies.

Hello

Its nice hearing your story and the measure you have taken with all of this going on some advice I would take off everything including my shoes and put your clothes directly into the washer and don't bring anything you wear into your home be safe then sorry.

Contributor

Oh yes!  We supply gloves to all our Food Pantry guests, and require washed/sanitized hands and a face mask before anybody goes into the Pantry.  I sanitize all surfaces  beforehand, and only 5 people are allowed in the Pantry room at one time. There's Purell everywhere.

There is very little chance of any food being contaminated, and we do deliver boxes to our most vulnerable.  So far, no COVID in our town!

Thank you for all the terrific work you have been doing! Kudos!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

To save money and my back while cleaning my floors, I used rubber bands (one on each side) to secure a paper towel to the bottom of my long swivel handle.  The paper towel was great in picking up a lot of dust particles.  When I was done, I removed the rubber bands and pitched the dirty paper towel, which was a lot cheaper than other commercial products.    

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I wouild add my note of appreciation to ALL healthcare workers, first responders, and essential workers.  They are the true heros of this pandemic.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

i refuse to live in fear. has anyone ever heard the term "be still & know that i am GOD" Jesus died on the cross for us to enjoy life not live in fear. of course it is prudent to take certain precautions but to spray things down wear gloves & not go out at all is rediculous. this will not restrict my activities except i do accept the notion of wearing a face mask but that is as far as i go. i prefer to go straight to a store directly. i live alone, have no family to count on & i do shut myself in not going out unless it is necessary with or without the "order" but as i said: i refuse to live in fear!

Do not live in fear! If everyone followed your type schedule we would all be better off and safer. I applaud your scheduling.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I belong to a Bible Study class that we now do over the phone.  I have sewn masks for people. I am looking into sewing gowns for the local hospital.  I make phone calls to other widows.

Hello,

This is very nice of you to do this for your fellow man or women thank you for sharing and yes everyone needs God today tomorrow and everyday of thier life even after this is over 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have joined an online bible study via Zoom.  We watch a video presentation and answer some questons in an online notebook that allows us to save our answers under each question online.  Then once a week we gather for a Zoom meeting and discuss the questions.  This has kept me connected and engaged.  Most of these ladies live in another state.  We can share differences in where we live and what we do.  I am the only one who lives in the country.  We have wheat, corn, and soybean fields all around us.  I have a garden that I have just planted.  We will have tomatoes, yellow squash, cucumbers, and okra.  I really like fried okra.  We will have plenty this summer.  I will coat it with a mixture of flour and corn meal and fry it in olive oil.  

From my bible study some of my favorite verses are:

• John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.
  • Ephesians 2:8-9: For by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works that no one can boast.
  • Ephesians 3:20: Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine, according to His powwe that is at wosrk within us.

As Christ followers we have this assurance when we pray that God will answer our prayers in ways we cannot even ask or imagine.  The best news of all is that all we have to do to become a Christ follower is to ask Christ into our lives and receive the free gift of eternal life.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP