Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Tell us: What projects have you taken on? What advice can you share?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Tell us: What projects have you taken on? What advice can you share?

What projects have you taken on? How have you accomplished tasks by being resourceful with what you have on hand? What advice do you have to help others through similar projects? Share your ideas here and earn 50 AARP Rewards points for participating in this weekly discussion. We also will choose one post as our weekly winning post for an additional prize: a $50 HelloFresh gift card.  Click here to see our Rules for participating. 

AARPTeri

That's interesting 

@marym883953 wrote:

Unlike some others who have learned to digitize their photos, I took 12 shoe boxes of photos out of my closet (something I've been getting around to for as long as I can remember) and am in the process of actually placing them in photo albums for my young grandchildren. After adding a few written comments  and a smattering of stickers, the 6-year-old twins are loving their new books. I also unearthed two crumbling albums of post World War II Europe, documented in Brownie snapshots by their great grandfather. I am thrilled to be able to preserve these and read my dad's comments on what he experienced at that poignant period of history.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I volunteered to call several seniors three times a week to check on them. I've met some very interesting people and I've learned so much from them. I thought I would be blessing them but they have blessed me twice as much!  

Contributor

Something that has made me feel really good has been using this "staying in" time to empty and

shred old files of papers, professional documents, and other records that are old and out of date.  The shredder has been busy, and I have the feeling of having purged things that were no longer of any value, and just taking space in file drawers.

Periodic Contributor

I did the same thing.  Only I did so much shredding that I ended up needing to get a new shredder because I burned out the motor of my first one.

Contributor

Well, with all of the extra time now that we are not going anywhere nor doing anything and just staying home, I have found a few things needed done but never enough time to do them.

First, I hand painted our approx. 75 feet of 4' white wrought iron fencing outside of our house on the side yard. I did it by hand to get a heavier cost that will last for 5-8 years. That took me about 5 days and 4 hours a day to do and finish. It looks brand new again.

Then, I re-painted the grout on our kitchen counters that needed a new color per my wife. The tiles looked great but she wanted the grout painted to refresh them. that took me about 3 days and 25 hours to complete.

I am still looking for other things to do that I never seem to have time to do.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been gardening. I planted pumpkins and yams.Earlier this year, I had a crop of about 10 pumpkins of different shapes and sizes.I had planted different seeds, hence the multiple shapes and sizes. The pumpkins do well, with water. We enjoyed the pumpkins, as well as giving away to frienda. The same vine, however, is now, blossoming, and has 6 huge pumpkins, and several "baby" ones, which will be ready later this year. I use my time in the yard to reflect, as well as talk to my plants. I also have avocado, june plum, sweet sop, and mangoes.I am looking forward to a huge crop later.The yams also bore a huge crop. It was on face book earlier.

Keep safe everyone

0 Kudos
Contributor

Within your fanmily stqawart a check list of all the open project so be done around the house

and then assigna priorty # based on safety )install window locks) or protection (roof repair) and enhance the functionability and beauty of your home ( replace dead shrubs, paint the house/rooms.

Then designate each item based on the estimate cost an d time to completed and if the project requires one or more people and a projected start and completion date.

Prepare a total budget for all items and the proceed base on your availble funds or credit to proceed to get the projects done and finsih it completely before going to the next item unless your family can do multiple items at the same time. Even Better !.

Rven if you can't get all the prjects completed during this stay at home phase, it will give everyone in the house a road map to enjoy your home in a safe and enjoyable manner as you finish over time and its off your mind and on an agreed game plan for all.

Best Regards, Bob S.

)

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have rebuilded an old Computer of mine, Put in a new motherboard, memory, and CPU,,and an new Graphics card,, 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I wanted to remove the old carpet from my stairs and replace with finished hardwood.  Removing the carpet was easy.  It is important to remove all staples and tack strips! Tedius but worth it. Next I removed the ugly old molding and stripped paint from the visible stringers and any on the stairs themselves and repainted the stringers. The stair treads are in good shape so I filled any holes with wood filler, sanded completely and then they are ready for staining.  I already had some on hand so no need to buy more. I only had to purchase one sheet of Luan plywood to cut and glue to the risers, and I decided to prime and paint them white.  

Although this project has taken several days and hard work, it is all worth it and low cost,  My stairs look great!

Gold Conversationalist

Sounds like a ton of work with great results!

you are an inspiration.  :- )

0 Kudos
Contributor

I cleaned out my computer desk and my computer while being stuck at home. I couldn't be happier.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been going through all of my cookbooks and loose recipes. I have stick it notes and I write the recipe and page number on it then stick it to the front of the book if there are none I put in a sperate pile to donate them to the library or senior center or give away to a friend. Getting rid of a lot since my tastes have changed over the years. Then I try the ones I have on the stick it notes if I like it copy it and save and get rid of the book. I have been trying new recipes during this time and most of them are turning out pretty good. This is on my down time when I don't want to watch tv sit at the kitchen table.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We moved from the west coast to New England, 2 years ago.  Such a big move meant lots of boxes, many of which remain unpacked and are hiding in our basement.  Being quarantined means we have more time at home and decided to go tackle those remaining boxes.  First, we decided that unpacking means that the contents must be either put away, donated, or thrown away.  Secondly, we chose to start with only 2 boxes/day.  Lastly, we set a 1 hour time limit.  We stopped when either both boxes were completely unpacked or the time was up.  Works like a charm!  Not quite done but serious progress has been made and we feel great about finally working on this project.

0 Kudos
Contributor

In the last 3 weeks, I have taken on several projects to help fill my time and stay at home. I hand painted a 4' high white wrought iron fence we have along the side of our house. It is about 75' long. I hand painted it because it will last years longer than spraying it. That took me about 25 hours total to complete. I used a primer and paint to do this. I also painted by hand two fifferent sections of my wives counter tops by painting the grout a different color such as Ivory. That took me about 30 hours to complete. I have now re-painted two different doors from the garage out to the patio and from the garage into the laundry room and house. That took me about 8 hours. Golf courses are now open so will be going back to playing golf a few days a week.

Nickname - Bonus

0 Kudos
Contributor

Save the Swifter wet containers. Clean then out and they can be used to keep your freezer bags, storage bags,kids' crayons,markers,hot rod cars, and so many other things. 

Save your breath mints tin container. You can make t-bags holders, that are easy to carry in your purse or pockets. Have your kids help you decorate them. You also use them for collecting change in your desk drawer. Or your kids can use them for a change holder so that when the ice cream man comes around they can spend their own money. And they make great gifts as well.Teachers, Grandma's and Mom's friends.

Make a game out of trying to re-purpose as many things as possible to do our share of saving the Earth. And to teach, it is okay to be frugal.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Time to pull the gutters off, replace the boards underneath, apply primer / paint, hire new gutters to be installed.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Have sprouted 3 plants and sharing pictures with granddaughter in North Carolina. She now has sprouted a plant too!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am crocheting these bands for masks to donate to the medical workers at the South Shore Hospital in Weymouth Massachusetts.20200424_213138.jpg

20200424_213050.jpg

Regular Contributor

Tiacha7,

Thanks for inspiring me to make masks more comfortable.

Lindalee

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Tiacha7,

Those look very simple and practical. Thanks for sharing. My husband can't stand the masks with the ear elastic. This might work for him. .

A fellow crocheter,

LindeStar123.

0 Kudos

I have added a clothes rod to a closet under the stairs to convert it to a coat closet. Then I moved all jackets and coats to my new space. While moving my coats I was inspired to give away any items that did not fit or that I had not used in years. There are many homeless people that can use them. I believe in the old saying that "one man's trash is another man's treasure"

Eileen R.  

Periodic Contributor

We finally painted and wallpapered out bedroom - a project we'd been thinking of doing for almost a year. The new paint looks fantastic, and though a lot of work, the end result is wonderful. If you're taking on painting projects, my biggest advice is to tape well! We are not talented enough to paint carefully, so the tape made our work look much more professional. 

Periodic Contributor

I teach a preschool class so to keep in touch with them and to help give parents an activity to do with them I send each student a weekly letter with the Bible Lesson and activity page.  I have asked the parents to read their child the letter and Bible Lesson.  I remember way way how excited I was to receive any mail!  Each parent has taken the the time to let me know how much their son or daughter have enjoyed getting their week letter and working on their lessons,

I also have contacted the older members in our church to see if they have any needs including getting them cloth face masks.

Periodic Contributor

I am helping two people who are stuck in skilled nursing facilities. I am watching my upstairs neighbors condo while he recuperates from surgery. I have a cousin who is in need of financial help because of how long she has been in skilled nursing so I started a fundraising on Facebook for her.

Make sure you are staying in contact with others by phone and social media. Be sure to breathe.

I was a speech pathologist for elementary kids and some thing I learned was early child development is a key role in their future so it good to catch it at a early age

0 Kudos
Contributor

This app is very complicated 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

How to get people I know to answer my phone calls when I leave them a message!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have been using the AARP videos with Denise Austin and Kathy Johnson to keep active. They are quick, easy, and I like that they are divided into different body parts so you can focus where you need the most work. I've also tried yoga. I love the variety! And when I go to the mailbox, I walk for a mile first and then pick it up.

Contributor

I've been doing Spring cleaning.

0 Kudos
Contributor

About my mental health staying here all the time I have COPD and I'm very sick and I'm afraid to go to the hospital I don't know what to do but I'm driving myself crazy my nerves are on the end I wish I had a valium or something

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP