Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

New important information for AARP Rewards – Verification Required!

Community Manager
Community Manager

New important information for AARP Rewards – Verification Required!

We're always looking for ways to improve your online security.   Beginning soon, when you visit AARP Rewards, you will be prompted to secure your account by verifying your phone number.  This process will be required for participation moving forward. 

Users that are already registered with AARP Rewards will receive an email this afternoon to begin this process early if they choose to do so.   We love giving our active community an early heads up!  It's a simple process that only takes a moment — just be sure to have your phone on hand – click on this link and verify your account now – (https://secure.aarp.org/applications/user/programOptIn?promo=REWARDSUSER&ref=http://www.aarp.org/dis... 

Here are a couple tips:

• Remember to be logged in first
  • Use Chrome for the best experience 

Thank you,

AARPTeri
Retired Moderator

@TulsiS155689 - great question! The points you earn by participating in AARP Rewards can be used to redeem sweepstakes entries, local deals, member exclusives, discounted gift cards and more! You can explore the full catalog here: https://www.aarp.org/rewards/redeem/

0 Kudos
Contributor

hello i just want to know what is the benefit of the points? thx

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @LisaW627845 

Customer Service is going to advise you to clear cookies and cache on your device. 

So I'd logout if logged in and clear cookies and cache and try the process again. 

If that doesn't work the number to submit a ticket with Customer Service is (1-866-451-6305) if you don't have it.

Hope you succeed with the verification.

Have a Blessed Day.

Marylin

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I hate to bother but just processed two "AARP Rewards" deals without verification required, so perhaps I'm not getting it (I was not even aware of rewards for the first 15 years I was AARP member; my bad).

So the telephone or email verification is a "two factor" security process that has been standard for internet-based access for many years; even the Social Security Administration uses for individual account access (pretty astonishing, imho, as they are usually the LAST to adopt).

I'm getting older but am able to negotiate the two factor world using either my cell or one of my email accounts.

For those who doubt or question "providing email or phone number", remember the most pertinent information has already been provided, outside of the phone or email address. Grow up, all of us; there are bad guys out there but if and when two factor actually fails, there will be a newer stronger verification process, probably hated by some, appreciated by many.

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Contributor

My problem is not having to do it but the system won't let me do it no matter how many times I try

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@LisaW627845 Thank you for letting us know about this. When you enter the code, it should automatically submit to the next page and complete the one-time verification process. We'll reach out to you by email.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@LisaW627845  

Call the Rewards customer service number and they will listen and give you a case number.  It took me a month but the finally did correct the error.  I would get a continuous loop to sign up for the program I'd been a member of since the beginning.   

Good luck!  I know how frustrating this can be.  There is some kind of bug in that verification process.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Screenshot_2020-01-27-01-19-47~2.png

It just sits on this...

Nothing happens no matter how many times i hit go.

This is to complicated for non tech savvy seniors. I was trying to join but i'll pass

0 Kudos
Contributor

Screenshot_2020-01-27-01-49-56.png

Took another ss while pressing go to show i am doing what i am suppose to

0 Kudos
Contributor

I type the code into the boxes and nothing happens there is no enter or submit button. I pressed go on phone but nothing i just see the boxes with the code?

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@LisaW627845 Once you enter the code, it should automatically proceed. What type of phone are you using? What browser? 

AARP Community Manager
0 Kudos
Contributor

Samsung
Chrome Browser
Still same problem
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

@AARPTeri @AARPCaroline  If a husband and wife share the same cell phone and have no landline, how can we use the same number to verify both accounts (different email addresses are used to login to each account separately).  When we try to use the cell phone to verify the other account, it says that phone number has already been used.

As well, the cell phone number was used to verify one account and it has asked for account verification multiple times since the initial verification.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@JamesM699032 We'll escalate this to our IT team so that you and your wife can be verified and Rewards. It may take a day or so but we'll let you know by email when that's done.

Thanks!

Periodic Contributor

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

this is just invasive

my credit card provider and my bank and investment firm do not require my personal phone number

and im gonna give it to Hello World

duhhhh NO 

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@sjean65 Your phone number will NOT be used for anything other than the verification process. AARP takes our member's personal information safety seriously, and we provide information on how to protect yourself from robocalls: https://aarp.info/35wY3AJ. AARP has also just endorsed legislation combatting robocalls: https://aarp.info/359V4iz

AARP Community Manager
Super Contributor

Thank You

i know mine won't because i dont have one to input

MY ongoing issue 

WAS

I DONT HAVE ACCESS TO A CELL PHONE AT THIS TIME 

and so i could not access my account 

but also for the benefit of others  I posted about why does Hello World need our phone numbers

AARP has never requested that info in my 20 years as a member

Gold Conversationalist

I'm still locked out and it appears that this happened due to me not completing the verification.  I was doing it,  I now recall, when I was interrupted by DH wanting me to do something immediately. 

Forgot about it and was locked out.  I think.   Not sure this is what happened but want to caution anyone who has not yet done this, don't start it if there's a chance your time is not your own for a while.   Looking back at the text I did receive and the timing of @AARPTeri 's post, it must be it. What should have happened is that a message should have appeared to direct me to complete the process.   Nothing but weeks of frustration trying to figure out what is wrong...and is still wrong after submitting written requests and talking to the rep.   They are working on it from their end.  I can't imagine I would be the only one  to have problems doing this.  

This "enhancement" has cost me weeks of R4G and there appears to be no simple override on the R4G end to fix it.  

No amount of cookie/cache clearing as I was again instructed to do fixes it.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @HokiePoq 

You aren't getting an option to verify phone number now, to login? 

Here's the link AARPTeri posted on this thread to verify:

click on this link and verify your account now – (https://secure.aarp.org/applications/user/programOptIn?promo=REWARDSUSER&ref=http://www.aarp.org/dis... 

Here are a couple tips:

• Remember to be logged in first
  • Use Chrome for the best experience 

I hope this can get you verified and back on the site, let me know.

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Super Contributor

Hello World is too busy distributing ie selling all the wealth of phone numbers to fix the program

not mine and i am not renewing my subscription to AARP after 20 years membership

AARP should be protecting our personal information not selling out to Hello World

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

@mi4090  Yes, I get that page in an endless loop.   I fill it in every day, lol, and then it comes up again and again.  Yes, I have Chrome and also tried Edge.   Odd thing is that sometimes I get the fifteen point signin points.  Unlike some other posters, I don't get the page where you enter the code, only the page where your link leads to.   I don't know if I ever got it....or if I stopped midway in the process after entering a phone number on that first day.  I did get a code on my cell but have never had a page to enter it anywhere unless I missed it the first day.  Now that I read others cannot advance past that page I am thinking maybe it wasn't me.   Hard to know.

I really don't recall if I messed up with entering the code but it is possible on that first day.  Only thing I can come up with.   I would think a page would come up for one to reenter a code or ask for a new one or something rather than an endless loop of nothing.   

They do seem to be "working on it".    The lady I spoke to said to use Chrome.   I was using that when I got locked out.   Santa brought a new laptop as the old one was fading but that made no difference.   

Your concern and help is appreciated.   The first responses to my written pleas for help and the phone call were to do just as you said:  clear cookies and cache and use Chrome.   Maybe that could help someone else if I'm not the only one with a problem.   January is bringing some medical procedures and I'd hoped to be on the site while my physical activity is limited.   I can console myself by remembering that I wasn't winning anything anyway.....but I do enjoy the quizzes in particular.  They are kind of a memory test to see if I recall the answers from doing them the previous month.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @HokiePoq 

I hope they can figure it out soon, I'm sure this isn't good for paying members to be frustrated with inability to take advantage of the program. 

Everyday you're not on the site is an opportunity missed at winning something.

That was a wonderful present that Santa left under your treeHeart  I hope all medicals go well and you are back in soon.

Happy Holidays

Marylin

Gold Conversationalist

@mi4090  Old computer bit the dust so had to get a new one for Christmas.  Followed the demise since Thanksgiving  of the washer, garbage disposal, and last but not least refrigerator a few days before Christmas.  

Would like to have shopped around more for the fridge but had to go with the place that could deliver in time for Christmas company.    

When it rains, it pours it seems.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Once I supply the code, there is no place on the page for me to "submit" the code. Am I missing something??

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@wendysue44 - Once you enter the full verification code, there is no need to hit the submit button -- it will automatically submit and complete the process. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I tried 3 times this morning, and it did nothing. 

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@gi253 @wendysue44 We believe we've identified the problem -- make sure you are using the numbers along on the top of your keyboard (above the letters that double as special characters), rather than numbers located in number keyboard (usually located on the right side of your keyboard). We're working to make the fix, but this should get you verified! 

AARP Community Manager
0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

Got it @wendysue44. We'll take a look into what's happening.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP