Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

New important information for AARP Rewards – Verification Required!

Community Manager
Community Manager

New important information for AARP Rewards – Verification Required!

We're always looking for ways to improve your online security.   Beginning soon, when you visit AARP Rewards, you will be prompted to secure your account by verifying your phone number.  This process will be required for participation moving forward. 

Users that are already registered with AARP Rewards will receive an email this afternoon to begin this process early if they choose to do so.   We love giving our active community an early heads up!  It's a simple process that only takes a moment — just be sure to have your phone on hand – click on this link and verify your account now – (https://secure.aarp.org/applications/user/programOptIn?promo=REWARDSUSER&ref=http://www.aarp.org/dis... 

Here are a couple tips:

• Remember to be logged in first
  • Use Chrome for the best experience 

Thank you,

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

@AARPAnneH wrote:

Got it @wendysue44. We'll take a look into what's happening.

Same for me, the page never advances after entering the code. This is very frustrating.

Periodic Contributor

The verification system is NOT working. You can enter your 6 digit code but the page goes nowhere! I just wasted an hour of my life before I finally googled and found this thread. Obviously, not well launched. Why not just use our logins? This is ridiculous. My bank didn't require this much trouble for online banking setup.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @gi253 

Unsure, what being verified, you can change your number minutes after verification.

Try clearing cookies & cache, then use a different browser.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Periodic Contributor

@mi4090 wrote:

Hello @gi253 

Unsure, what being verified, you can change your number minutes after verification.

Try clearing cookies & cache, then use a different browser.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

I don't have a clue what you're talking about, changing my #? I'm talking about the system to verify your identity during sign in for AARP Rewards that requires a 6 digit code that you receive in a text message. That code, once entered into the proper page does not work, regardless of the number of times I tried, cleared cache, etc. Tried 2 different browsers (Chrome is my go-to) this is the issue. 

No idea what your reply means. 

How anyone with very limited tech knowledge is supposed to manage this is beyond me.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @gi253 

I meant, I'm unsure what being verifed does for security.  I never verified via a cell phone, I used my home phone and the code came via a call I believe and I then entered it.  I did verification when Community Managers first posted some time ago with no problems.  I never see an option to verify when logging in.

I was just stating that I don't see how the phone # verification will help with security, because a person could verify with a phone number and change it minutes later.

Sorry about the confusion.  Hope you had a great Christmas, and a Community Manager can help you.

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Contributor

Since AARP does NOT know my phone number, where is the security when you send the code to any phone number I'm near? Even if I am not the person that is logging in.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @CherylN939800 

That's a good question?

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I don’t have one, so what are you going to do now?
Kathleen
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

did you ever get an answer to the no phone issue

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I don't have a phone number, I want a refund from my just renewed membership, demanding a phone number or anything else personal is invasion 

of people's privacy. All your articles about phone scams, and this is what you decide to do? I saw flames when that box popped up demanding a phone number when I tried to log in. Doesn't matter that you say it's a one time thing, that's all it takes to get the robo calls rolling, two of my cr cds got compromised, my dam health ins carrier got hacked, one of my life ins cos got hacked, I'm still on free identity protection from one of them, I didn't cause the leaks, all those places were protecting me too with multiple verifications.  Think of something else, no phone here. I am seriously MAD at you ******'s.

Kathleen
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

amazing that AARP members are supposed to just give out our phone numbers to Hello World

thanks AARP for protecting us from robo calls 

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

This morning, my verification worked just as it should with my cell phone. Once I typed the final digit of the code on my laptop confuser, I was taken directly to my AARP pages.

Enjoy!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

good for you butterfly

you should be geting more robo calls now 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

One time only? Really? I was just asked to verify again my phone number. I hope it does not happen too often,

Periodic Contributor

@a170938b   

It has asked me to verify multiple times although I sign on from the same laptop using google chrome each time.... 

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@a170938b The verification is a one-time process. I see that you attempted to verify on Thursday but it did not go through, but now you are in fact verified and will not be prompted again. 

AARP Community Manager
Regular Contributor

No phone, so don't try to call. Send my membership refund ASAP, I'm still inflamed from seeing that phone number box demanding it before I can log into aarp. Mail a check,  no phone here. My acct is [account number removed from public view for security reasons] I just renewed, stupid me.

Kathleen
Super Contributor

sent an email to customer service tell them  i dont have access to a phone now

answer was to call   hahahah

sent another email and the answer was that the agent had called me  

and i was to call back

with my no phone issue   

yep   really    call me with your no phone     

3 answers all the same

robot ??  

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

What happens if you change your phone number?

Marylin

Conversationalist

@mi4090 

Also a very good question! I second that question @AARPTeri 

Where exactly is this security information stored?

How do we verify that it is correct?

0 Kudos
Contributor

AARP does NOT know my phone number  and still sent a coe to the number I gave it.  I could have been anyone logging in as me.

Super Contributor

hello World is collecting phone numbers

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

Posting in this thread so you see my replies in both places:

@mi4090 The verification is one time only and is validated by the current phone number you use to verify. Changing your number in the future does not affect your current validation.

@ralmon It's easy to impersonate someone with an email or open up multiple accounts with multiple emails, but by verifying your phone number, we know it's you.  We're protecting you by not allowing others to stack the deck by opening multiple accounts to possibly win sweepstakes or earn more points.  We do not share this number with any other third parties and we only use it for this verification, no other purposes. For more information, see AARP’s Privacy Policy - https://aarp.info/36yEZTE

AARP Community Manager
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

im am not concerned with integrity of AARP

Hello World has advertising and mass marketing going on

i do not trust them with phone numbers

just my opinion

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I don't have one. Couldn't you think of a less invasive way, this stinks. 2 of my cr cds got compromised, my health ins co got hacked, 1 life ins co got hacked, I'm still on 1 free identity protection plan, the 2 others have expired after a year each. And you think a little ole phone number verification is going to protect me from something? I just renewed membership, I want a refund. When I saw that phone number box come up demanding it, I saw flames. Refund, refund, refund, you people are nuts.

Kathleen
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Totally agree with you Kathleen

A phone number is not a form of identification

could use anyones phone

multiple phones

no safety issue 

Hello World will have Thousands of phone numbers to distribute

Yoou are giving your number to Hello World not AARP

check out the company

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@kb2064 The one-time verification is to protect and better secure your AARP Rewards account. You do not need to complete this verification to continue being an AARP member or to access your AARP.org account where you can still comment here in the Community, make changes to your AARP account and more -- but you do need to verify your account to continue with AARP Rewards, and a phone number is required to participate in the AARP Rewards program. A landline and a cell phone number both work. If landline, you'll receive a phone call. The phone number calling you will be random and will not be identified as AARP on caller ID. However, if you do not have access to a phone, we can manually verify your account which may take 3-5 business days. Is this something you are interested in?

Please know that we take your information privacy and security seriously. Your phone number will only be used to verify your identity and won’t be used for any other purposes. Combating fraud is one of AARP's top priorities. If you need help figuring out next steps from when your information has been compromised in other cases, you can reach out to the AARP Fraud Watch Helpline at 1-877-908-3360 to speak with trained volunteers. If you'd still like to cancel your AARP membership, I can take care of that for you, though we'd hate to see you go.

Social Butterfly

@AARPMarilynC 

@AARPMarilynC wrote:

@kb2064The one-time verification is to protect and better secure your AARP Rewards account. You do not need to complete this verification to continue being an AARP member or to access your AARP.org account where you can still comment here in the Community, make changes to your AARP account and more -- but you do need to verify your account to continue with AARP Rewards, and a phone number is required to participate in the AARP Rewards program. A landline and a cell phone number both work. If landline, you'll receive a phone call. The phone number calling you will be random and will not be identified as AARP on caller ID. However, if you do not have access to a phone, we can manually verify your account which may take 3-5 business days. Is this something you are interested in?

Please know that we take your information privacy and security seriously. Your phone number will only be used to verify your identity and won’t be used for any other purposes. Combating fraud is one of AARP's top priorities. If you need help figuring out next steps from when your information has been compromised in other cases, you can reach out to the AARP Fraud Watch Helpline at 1-877-908-3360 to speak with trained volunteers. If you'd still like to cancel your AARP membership, I can take care of that for you, though we'd hate to see you go.

Hey this info you've posted here needs to be posted on other thread about verification A person has posted 5+times for help with verification if don't own phone

Please go there & help Thanks 

Merry Christmas 🎄

Ginger  ;  )

Super Contributor

yes what to do if one does not have a phone 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Am I manually verified yet?

Kathleen
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP