Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

New important information for AARP Rewards – Verification Required!

Periodic Contributor

New important information for AARP Rewards – Verification Required!

Since I don't seem to be able to reply to the other thread that was posted, I guess I have to start a new one.

No doubt I'm in the minority here, but with limited texts on my plan, why would I want to do a phone verification each time I log into AARP Rewards? There hasn't been anything there that I would be interested in anyway. 

Thanks so much for keeping my account safe.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @LisaW627845 

Clear Cookies and Cache and try process again.  If that doesn't want go ahead and submit a ticket via Customer Service (1-866-451-6305).

Hope it works.

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

0 Kudos
Contributor

There is no submit or enter code #

I put in the code and it just sits on the last number no matter how many times i hit go on my phone.

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@LisaW627845 We replied to your comments in the other thread! We're going to look into why the verification process isn't happening for you. Stay tuned. 

AARP Community Manager
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Cost and Frequency: Message and data rates may apply. The Program involves recurring mobile messages, and additional mobile messages may be sent based on your interaction with AARP.

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@ralmon By sending a verification code directly to you, we're able to provide an extra level of security and ensure that only you are in control of your account. Your phone number will only be used to verify your identity and not for any other purposes.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@AARPJessicaT 

Thanks for the reply. I understand the 2 factor authentication of verifying control of an account. However, it has been said mutiple times that this is a one-time event. That is not an improvement of security.

If AARP wants to improve security, get rid of the annoying CAPTCHA and introduce a 2 factor authentication on login. This should be on EVERY login, not just a one-time thing. Accounts might be compromised a week later, and this one-time event was for nothing.

Security is serious business. I have 3 authenticator apps running on my phone, from Microsoft, Google, and some weird one required by my company. Amazon does 2FA on Microsoft authenticator, my webhost uses the Google one. AARP could just as well use one of those.

Just my 2.5 cents.

Cheers,

Ray

Trusted Social Butterfly

@AARPJessicaT 

Can you answer my question about changing phone numbers, will you still be able to login to AARP Rewards?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@AARPJessicaT 

What happens if you change your phone number?

@mi4090 

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@mi4090 The verification is one time only and is validated by the current phone number you use to verify. Changing your number in the future does not affect your current validation.

@ralmon It's easy to impersonate someone with an email or open up multiple accounts with multiple emails, but by verifying your phone number, we know it's you.  We're protecting you by not allowing others to stack the deck by opening multiple accounts to possibly win sweepstakes or earn more points.  We do not share this number with any other third parties and we only use it for this verification, no other purposes. For more information, see AARP’s Privacy Policy - https://aarp.info/36yEZTE

AARP Community Manager
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@AARPCaroline 

Thanks for answering concerning changing your number.  Good to know you'll be able to log on even with a different phone number.

Marylin

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@AARPCaroline 

Thanks for your response. I do have to say that this one-time verification is not in any way securing my account. As you mentioned, is is primarily to take a shot at Rewards cheaters. This is not protecting anyone, simply making the Rewards system more fair.

Also, this one-time verification does not protect my account if it gets comprimised AFTER the one-time verification. That is why I mention the 2 factor authentication at each login. That would be more secure than simply a CAPTCHA.

The only issue with a 2FA is that for some reason, the login screen comes up very frequently when using the AARP set of webpages. It's like the various web site sections don't properly communicate with each other.

Maybe AARP can consider adding 2FA as an optional feature.

Cheers,

Ray

Conversationalist

@AARPJessicaT 

Thanks for the info about the one-time only. My question is how does this improve my online security?

Here is the quote from @AARPTeri :

"We're always looking for ways to improve your online security. Beginning soon, when you visit AARP Rewards, you will be prompted to secure your account by verifying your phone number. This process will be required for participation moving forward. "

Unless this requirement introduces a 2 factor authentication, I see no improvement in security, but rather an exposure of one's private phone number to a 3rd party marketing company (HelloWorld).

Can anyone at AARP please elaborate on the security improvement?

Thanks,
Ray

Retired Moderator

@mi4090 Marilyn, the phone verification process is indeed a one-time event.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello EF & Ginger,

It would be good if you could get more information concerning if the verification is a (1) time event or otherwise as stated by EF.

Ginger how did you find out that it was (1) time?  Did you get some inside information?  I know you can find anything pertaining to AARP.  Glad to see you are back.

Have a Blessed Day,

Marylin

Retired Moderator

@ef3487 The phone verification is only needed one time. You do not need to verify it every time you login. 

Super Contributor

how do i access aarp rewards now without a phone

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

locked out of my rewards account 

20 years of aarp membership ends this year

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Hello World...every old person does not have a mobile phone with free texts

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

The mobile messaging service used by AARP to communicate with you cannot randomly or sequentially generate telephone numbers, requires human intervention for AARP's mobile messages to be initiated, and thus AARP's mobile messages are not sent to you by an automatic telephone dialing system ("ATDS" or "autodialer"). Nevertheless, by participating in the Program, you agree to receive autodialed mobile messages

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Even if i have a phone with unlimiited text i would not give it to Hello World or whoever aarp has contracted to run this rewards program

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@ralmon While phone verification is not foolproof, it is an industry best practice – top companies like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and Twitter verify phone number ownership during account creation and at log in to confirm the identity of returning users. And while we do see value from this additional security protection, we agree with you that no one protection is foolproof. Cybercriminals will seek out sites that only require an email address and password to establish the identity of a new user. It’s low hanging fruit for them. In fact, automated software bots can cost-effectively exploit applications that verify email accounts by creating an unlimited supply of fake profiles. We also wanted to keep in mind the experience of our amazing Rewards customers and phone verification is convenient, familiar and immediate.  We see this as a way for customers to quickly and easily validate their identity and quickly move on to all the Rewards goodness!

AARP Community Manager
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@AARPCaroline 

I completely agree that a one-time phone verification is not foolproof, especially if one can use an arbitrary phone number for the verification AND it only happens if one tries to log into the Rewards.

All the users not doing Rewards just have to live without the one-time verification. So tell me again how this is securing an AARP account.

Also, since you named the big folks like Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and Twitter, there is something they do that AARP still does not: 2 factor authentication! And this is at each login and one can use a special authenticator app. Don't compare AARP non-security with what the big guys do.

Well, I've had enough of this dance. It's going nowhere. I'll just make sure there is very little identifiable information on my AARP account. I've already made sure no payment methods are found, at least through the UI given on the website.

I shall not respond to topics related to AARP and security anymore. Good luck.

Cheers,

Ray

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@sjean65 

I did my (1) time verification using my home phone number.

Happy Holidays

Marylin

Social Butterfly

@sjean65 

Its a one time verification 

& its been stated here won't be used for anything else nor starts AARP texts coming to you just verification 

Saw your many posts let's ask for help from Community helpers 

@AARPCaroline 

@AARPTeri 

Can y'all help out here needs info how use Rewards account without mobile phone 

Feel certain there are others with same issue

Thanks

Ginger  ;  )

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@sjean65 You do not have to use a cell phone for the one-time verification. You may use a landline. In that case, instead of getting one text message with the verification code, you will get a phone call with the verification code. @gm5271 is correct -- the phone number you provide is only used to verify your identity, not for anything else. Entering a cell phone number for verification does not sign you up to receive text messages from AARP. 

AARP Community Manager
Contributor

I had them call with the verification number. "Mmmmm... Something wasn't right! Please re-enter your verification code." Was all got got for my trouble!
I had them resend a verification number and got the SAME number the second time!
When you get "Mmmmm... Something wasn't right! Please re-enter your verification code." There is nothing you can do from there except start over.
0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

@Ben Have you been able to get verified?

There is no "submit" or "enter" button since the verification is automatic once the verification code is entered. When you are entering the verification code, make sure you are using the numbers along on the top of your keyboard (above the letters that double as special characters), rather than numbers located in number keyboard (usually located on the right side of your keyboard). 

AARP Community Manager
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@AARPCaroline 

I'm still curious about this, though. First off, I'm not against 2-factor authentication in anyway for security of an account. However, for this implementation, I have the following concerns:

It has been stated that this authentication was for protection of our account. Then it was mentioned it was to help prevent cheaters on the Rewards. Which one is it?

Neither issue is properly addressed by this one-time text/call. Anyone could setup a duplicate account and just use a cheap store cellphone.

Now that I'm worried about account security due to this: Has there been some breach at AARP that we need to know about? Will AARP introduce a real 2-factor authentication option, like I have on Amazon and other accounts (using an authenticater app on my cellphone)?

Golly, I thought it was going to be an easy going holiday this year.

Cheers,

Ray

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@ralmon 

Ray, that was wishful thinking.  As @gm5271 stated you have entered the Twilight Zone😀

Happy Holidays

Marylin

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP