Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How are you staying connected?

Community Manager
Community Manager

How are you staying connected?

We want to know how you are staying connected with others while social distancing. 

I have a group of friends that walk together three times a week; we now walk in a foursquare 6 feet apart.  It’s great we can still walk and talk together!  Here’s a photo: Social Distancing Walks with FriendsSocial Distancing Walks with Friends

Tell us or show us how you are staying connected!

AARPTeri

Facebook

0 Kudos
Contributor

My husband and I are walking all the cul-de-sacs in our neighborhood develop. We stop at the houses we know and use our cellphone to tell those that we are outside their house. They usually come to the door and wave at us . We then ask how they are and if they need anything. Often we will leave little gifts and/or cards we know it is a special day for them.   MarianneTrovato  Bensalem, Pa 19020

0 Kudos
Contributor

Never been big on texting, but I have found myself keeping in touch with family, friends and community and social media. 

I am also having therapy appointments by phone.

I have been doing grocery shopping for my 87 year old Mother, want to try and keep her well. 

For myself, I have been trying to take a short walk every morning. This is just to help keep my sanity in tact. Lol

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been going through old correspondence and writing to people I have not heard from for a while or those who do not have social media.  I have also been finding old photos, snapping them on my phone and sharing on Facebook or sending by message. I have also tried to get more organized, which is not going as well as hoped.  I did get peas planted and a new raspberry bush.  I asked my mortgage company for a Forbearance and was surprised that I did not have to do any paperwork for them to take 3 months payments, and tag them onto the end of the mortgage loan.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am going through old pictures, catching up on paper work, Did a gab and grab with my tax man. (Drop papers off and talk on phone about them.) I am staying connected to friends and family through social media...Twitter mainly. Cleaning closets, garage and doing yard work. Busy

0 Kudos
Contributor

• I am an Adjunct at a college and our classes went to 'online' for the last month.  WebEx is used for weekly classes.
  • Last week had a Saturday Zoom Happy Hour (actually was 3 hours) with ladies who I haven seen for last few years!  Was great catching up!  Next week Happy Hour will be for 4 hours!
  • I'm also an active volunteer at my community.... we are using Zoom for our meetings.  Texting and emails are a norm as well.
  • Technology .... at its best!  Tools of the trade !
0 Kudos

I call my two of sisters on Sunday afternoons and connect with my brother and one Omer sister on FB

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

SMS texting, what's up, facetime, emailing, houseparty, facebook, twitter, etc.; in other words, there is no excuse for not keeping connected.

0 Kudos

Video chat and sending messages or useful information / videos, using WhatsApp. Telephone or email those who do not use WhatsApp. Finally, we can still write and send letters to those who do not have a phone or internet.

This is also a great time to catch up reading topics, watching movies or soap operas that you are interested in, using the internet. I can also get news from different parts of the world on the internet.

During this Coronavirus pandemic, lockdown will really be miserable without internet.

0 Kudos

Video chat and sending messages or useful information / videos, using WhatsApp. Telephone or email those who do not use WhatsApp. Finally, we can still write and send letters to those who do not have a phone or internet.

0 Kudos
Contributor

?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Using Zoom, Google Hangouts and Facetime.

0 Kudos
Contributor

FaceTime is my lifeline! Haven't seen my family since March 2nd. Nothing like a hug but this venue has brought much joy

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am connecting with coworkers by using Microsoft TEAMS, cellphone, email and ZOOM. 

For friends and family, I use email, phone and face-time😃

For the first time yesterday, I used SKYPE on an AARP connection. I have used SKYPE before with my nephew several years ago and thought that I had forgotten, but it all came back to me yesterday 😃

I am daily on webinars, ZOOM, TEAMS, cellphone and replying to emails.

I exercise 45 - 75 minutes a day by walking throughout the community and waving at neighbors and other community stakeholders at home cleaning up their yards, gardening, or playing with children. I also have been able to run errands for the disabled and older senior citizens who do not drive and otherwise can't get around - some live alone and just don't want much to do with a lot of people, but I enjoy helping them whenever they need it.

Last, but not least, I am a VITA/AARP tax preparer and have been since 2003, and my list of senior citizens to prepare tax returns for is growing because I have the opportunity to spread the word as I walk through the community seeing new and familiar faces. What a fun, active way to spread the word. So, we should have a full site when we are able to start preparing tax returns again😃

Carmen 

Contributor

I'm staying connected by making posters and drawing positive words & pictues, each one has a different theme, this poster also helps me to relieve stress !

Hugs love and Peace to All.

Do your part!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My Sunday schol son passed away and it suddenly occurred to me that the class can't respond to this situation in our usual way which sending a giant card  or many cards and every one signing it. So I enlisted the help of another member to call our class members ( we have a roster with names addresses and phone numbers) and asking them to send individually a card or letter of condolence. If they choose to they could include a monetary gift. Many people face financial circumstances in time of grief and sorrow. We can't attend services  for the decease. Family and those who grieve don't have that support ( of being there physically: bringing food, answering the phone, receiving those who stopped by to drop off something or /and to inquire how the family is doing and if there is anything they can do, some just come nd sit to keep company; But the most devastating is the fact the services , homegoing, can't be attended by all who wish to. Another thing is the gathering of family friends and love one for a repast, catching up with people you haven't seen for ages. As sad as the occasion is my pastor states whenever there is a funeral service this phrase (Would you rather attend a family reunion where everyone is alive or a funeral service where someone is missing). He encourages us to Love on every body. 

I have already seen what our action has produced. I got a call who was and still amazed and grateful for the responding in such a beautiful and heart felt way.

Contributor

Who says that "old fashioned" isn't fun. I am writing postcards to my grandchildren. They love getting mail and each card includes a Knock Knock joke and a reminder that I love them. Now, they look forward for the mail to come.

Periodic Contributor

Oh I love this idea!  I remember the days of finding fun notes, cards, invitations, etc...in colorful envelopes in my mailbox as a child! Now it seems to be just bills and junk mail. haha. I'm going to find some cards to put in the mail tomorrow.  Thank you for your suggestion! : )

Periodic Contributor

daily phone trees for family, friends, homeschoolers, neighbors & seniors. God Bless

I Read do cross word puzzles I facetime with someone I love different. I play a different game everyday. Plus I  sing 

Contributor

This actually gives me to much time on my hand. I'm always thinking about my dad we buried in November of last year and my sister we buried in January. My job provided me with some closure, but now it just allows me to much time to think on them. So this home distancing isn't going to well for me.

Contributor

Missing being with my loved ones is difficult during this pandemic and time of year. My faith and happy memories of those persons are helpful.  I am also connecting with others as you are doing. Also, I am following the advice in AARP to limit too much news. I am watching comedies, AARP travel virtual tours, and reading. Sorry for your loss. Prayers and best wishes.

Regular Contributor

Of course, you need time to grieve but you need to take care of your mental health too.  There are lots of things I do online and enjoy very much:  of course my emails, national and international news, card games, zoom into meetings with my faith members, listen to music, skype with friends (we can see each other as we converse).  I read a lot online, just research stuff and learn something new.  One thing I know for sure:  reach out and give to others what it is we ourselves need.  That's the best medecine for our physical and emotional health.  Good luck to you on your journey.

Periodic Contributor

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is especially difficult when you cant occupy your mind with other things. I have found it helpful to work on small projects that might make someone smile to cheer myself up and take my mind off of things that are troubling. Write a note, call someone you think might need to talk, or even respond to someone you have noticed is having a difficult time. (Kind of like I am doing with you!) : ) If we all hold each other up...what a better world this would be. May God bless you!
Regular Contributor

I like to sit in my recliner, rocking, while l phone a friend or relative. We catch up with a conversation that includes lots of laughter and good memories. I always feel better after these calls.

Periodic Contributor

My daughter recently moved home and we are cooking together!  That is the best part of all that has been happening in our home during this time.  Eating healthy and taking long walks for exercise. 

Periodic Contributor

When I get up in the morning after I have breakfast I go to my reward page to watch aarp videos and answer quizzes. This way I can keep with what going on and learn new things. You might think you know a lot of things but there always something new to learn . You don't have to stay that long on the page but you can keep your points going up so when you find a gift card that you want no problem getting in for points. Very helpful to make ends meet.

Periodic Contributor

Have you watched the AARP series with Don Rickles?!  I have loved the light hearted banter and goes on.  Always makes me smile! May God bless you!

Contributor

instead of just picking up the phone to call people, I try to Facetime them.  There's a true connection when you see the person's face, even if they live just a block away.  It's also fun when they answer and forget what embarassing clothing they're wearing (or how little.....lol!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP