Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

How are you staying connected?

We want to know how you are staying connected with others while social distancing. 

I have a group of friends that walk together three times a week; we now walk in a foursquare 6 feet apart.  It’s great we can still walk and talk together!  Here’s a photo: Social Distancing Walks with FriendsSocial Distancing Walks with Friends

Tell us or show us how you are staying connected!

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

There are a few ways I'm staying connected:

1.  I'm on Facebook much more now than I ever was.  In the past I might read through some postings but now I'm responding more to them (whether it's part of a community group or with friends).  I've reconnected with a few people who I haven't seen in a while.

2.  My family and I have more Facetime or Zoom meetings now.  Although Facetiming with my daughter and 4 year old grandson is not new, my husband and I now Facetime with them about 6 days/wk.  We also have regular zoom meetings with the entire family at once (that includes my brother and nieces and nephews).  It was "interesting" having 14 people on a virtual Seder this week.

3.  We "meet" with our next door neighbors on a daily basis now.  As long as the weather is nice, they sit in front of their home and we sit in front of ours (we're more than 6' apart) and we talk.  This has now become a ritual of ours each afternoon for about an hour.

These are the main ways I stay connected.  It does not include phone calls to friends and family because that has always been there.  There are just 3 ways that I've done something that is different from what I usually do.

Periodic Contributor

For many years I only connected with schoolmates, some relatives and others through my Christmas Letter.  This year it seems important to check on their welfare long before December rolls around.

I mentioned the restrictions imposed on my area, how I'm spending my days, my plans for the near furure, and I always leave them with a chuckle:  I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING A HAIR CUT, IN FACT I MAY GO ALL OUT AND GET THEM ALL CUT!

Corny you say?  As kids we laughed once every two weeks when Dad told us this joke.

Periodic Contributor

I started to mow my lawn and two of my neighbors came and helped and I worked on cutting blackberry vines so got some exercise.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My cancer doctors want to make sure I am healthy so I had a phone visit with both of them.  My GI doctor and I will have an online chat this next Monday.  I wear a mask everywhere I go and carry gloves and hand sanitizers too.

Contributor

Thank goodness my job is essential I am a CNA and work in a memory care unit in Boise Idaho.when not at work I will be glued to my TV binge watching shows

Bronze Conversationalist

Going hiking

zoom video chats

Watching hulu and netflix.

0 Kudos

My family has a group on Facebook for all of us to talk to each other. We all get to see how are cousins in different towns and states are doing. I talk to my daughter in law and my 3 year old grandson. Then once  week I video chat with my 3 grandsons that live in New York. I make fleece blankets and do some of that doing the day and  my dog. I also cook and take food to my neighbors so I know that they have food. I also do some sewing

Contributor

Keep it up
0 Kudos

Doing Zoom meetings with college roommate, Youth Group from church, prayer ladies from church and many, many checki-in phone calls!  

0 Kudos

My children and I video chat every other day.  I get to see not only my children but my grandchildren. My youngest grandson loves singing so we sing songs of his choice.  I am with 2 of my granddaughters and they join in on the si ging as well as I do. I love to see their adorable faces

Community Manager
Community Manager

To stay connected in our community we hosted a "backyard happy hour" this weekend where several neighbors came to the alley (everyone made sure to stay in their garage) and we had a toast and conversation. It was great!

Contributor

We have a 3 mile walking trail that surrounds our golf course. The golf course is closed but we are still a le to us the trail around it and stay 6 feet apart. When I started walking, no one said anything to each other now we wave and smile e every time we see each other on the trail. I think we are genuinely glad when we see each other and that the other person is ok.

Periodic Contributor

I am staying very connected with my church on a daily basis via U-Tube and Zoom. I read and watch daily videos posted by my Pastor and other parishoners.  I also have a circle of friends which we talk everyday.  We take turns iniating the phone calls. 

I am a letter writer. I like to brighten up someone's day by sending them a letter or a card.  When was the last time you wrote or received a letter. It will put a smile on your face!

Contributor

***CONGRATS!!  YOUR POST IS WEEK 1 WINNING POST***

You will receive an email from community@aarp.org with details of your prize!

My family is doing a phone round robin.Each week we all contact different designated family members and take turns. It a fun way to be sure that a member of the family has been in touch with aunts cousins family friends stay connected. We then share with nearby family member if there are any needs food medical care well ness check erc is needed. 

Periodic Contributor

After many years of not being connected with my cousins (we basically live in opposite sides of the country) I proposed a Zoom meeting. We all enjoyed ourselves and are planning on making it a regular practice.

Not being able to carry on as usual tends to make one's mind wander and it comes up with solutions!

Contributor

Our ministry is staying connected with our members and quests by having online worship service, "Cover Worship" every Sunday morning at 10:00 a.m.  Today, Palm Sunday, not only did we have worship service, but we had virtual communion and statewide prayer for our state, which is Maryland.

We are also conducting prayer and bible study starting at 7:30p.m. every Thursday.

Join us using facebook: pastordonaldasmith or covertheearthministries; utube: covertheearth; periscope: FIVESTAR1024.

0 Kudos

staying connected by video chatting and FaceTiming with my children that are grown also doing by doing a Bible study and then sharing that via video chat with my daughter we talked about it we discuss it...

An essential worker so being a caregiver requires but I do get out and about therefore I continue to disinfect sanitize and frequently wash hands..

Speak to anyone that I come in contact with about being aware of what's going on around us but also to not let it overtake ones thought process

By allowing ourselves to constantly worry would not do anyone any good therefore turn off the news and turn on the music or turn off the news and get into the word of God

Periodic Contributor

Staying in door as required by guide line.

Periodic Contributor

Steady look at aarp.org 

Contributor

Staying connexted to others is the focal point of my life. I am a single female turning 73 this month, who has numerous interests. I stay connected to friends and family with numerous phone calls and emails. Talking with neighbors at a safe distance as I take walks adds delight to the days as well.

I am not into a lot of virtual contacts. Being techically challenged, I have not learned how to do the Skype type thing, but rich conversation throughout the days with family and friends keeps me  excited about taking on each day during the Covid 19 period. I am a good listener and try to be a source of encouragement to my friends and family members who are experiencing job loss and other traumatic events during this challenging period.

We can all offer encouragement and a ray of hope to others throughout this time in our history. Please be sure to reach out to friends who have little or no family on a regular basis as well. So, go ahead, pick up that phone, Yaw'l! You'll be glad you did!

Periodic Contributor

Wearing protective by using: mask and gloves, and CONTINUOUSLY washing hands up to my wrists. 

Contributor

I am retired, 71 yrs old. I like to read alot of detective stories. I try to read all the news. I am staying home. My daughter lives next door to me.And my son and his wife live a few miles away. They just had a baby boy March 15,2020. We only saw the baby the day he was born. except on facetime, he was sleeping. They are all staying inside and keeping well. 

My kids work all the time. Son is laid off, Daughter works all the time. I try to help with her pets.2 dogs 2cats.Also make 1 or 2 meals a week to share with them. I clean my house,(most of the time)  wash my clothes. I try to take care of myself, I get out of breath to easy. I have the best kids in the world to me. I call my friends or message in FB to see if everything is ok with them. I am on the computer too much. I will watch some tv and I like to play games on my cell phone. So far that is it. Thanks Sherry   

Periodic Contributor

My friends and i are staying connected by phone, e-mail and cards.  since

i am newly retired i have been busy addressing thoses things that have been

on my "to-do" list. you know those things we promised we would do when we

have time,well the time is now.  Being confined to the house makes it ok to communicate by phone, text etc. and not be called away for tea,breakfast

or whatever.

Louise Hall-Mountain
Contributor

• Attending work meeting and training sessions via WebEx or MS Teams using the video/audio feature of the laptop.
  • Connecting to my social networking groups via the Zoom App or using free conference call number.
  • As for family and friend we're calling, FaceTiming or FB Messenger Calling to Connect. 

Technology is so advanced today that we're all surprised that it can handle the increase demands of each one of these application. 

Once I completing a much needed tasks like repotting plants or mending items- I'm quick to share the details with others.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Virtual happy hour with my leadership group in 15 minutes!   😄 

I haven't tried the virtual happy hour yet, but it sounds great. I use to bring smoothies to my team, I'm thinking I can share a recipe and we can all meet up. Thanks for the motivation!
Contributor

I am staying connected by daily calling on the phone or texting and face book.  I have turned to reading the bible daily and listening to soft gospel music for the soul.  I video chat so I can see my grandbaby.  I also go on AARp daily to do all the activities.  God bless the USA and the whole world.

Conversationalist

We are using Zoom to hold our regular Toastmasters meetings and contests; same for my 2 monthly book clubs. It is quite nice. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP