Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How Is Your Area Handling the Corona Virus?

Trusted Social Butterfly

How Is Your Area Handling the Corona Virus?

Hello Rewards Warriors,

I was just interested in seeing how people in different parts of the U.S. are dealing with the Novel Corona Virus.

I live the southern part of the U.S. in 2nd largest city in the state and it's a panick going on.  Daycares closing indefinitely, schools & colleges closed for extended time during spring break, grocery stores being emptied and restaurants with very little business, stores & hospitals running out of face masks and LysolSmiley Surprised  Parents with kids fearing losing their jobs to stay at home with kids, etc.

How is your city and state dealing with the virus?

Thanks for letting me know.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Conversationalist

I have to hand it to our Maryland Governor, Hogan, for being on top of it.  He closed things down before most of the other states, even before it hit here, so we have avoided a major outbreak.  A couple days ago he announced the vehicle emissions testing centers will be closed down and turned into drive through Corona virus testing centers.  That was a perfect solution, since the centers are stand alone, scattered around the state, and have plenty of room for lines of cars.  I was impressed. 

I am pretty much staying home.  The wife recently took a job as a medical assistant at a clinic.  Yesterday she came home and told me that they set up a nurses station between the doors at the entry to screen patients. They were using a laser temperature sensor and tested the incoming patients on their foreheads as they came in from outside where the temperature was about twenty degrees colder. At least two got through that needed to have corona testing done! Stupid people. To top it off, they set up an isolation area for such patients, all the way in the back of the office.  Naturally they had to walk all the way hrough the office to get there.  I told her to quit, but she won't.  You can't fix stupid!  Not her, the people she works for.

We are in fairly good health for our ages, 69, 66.  If we catch it we will likely survive and in the process get immunity.  Probably the way everybody will get immunity, since they are saying it will be at least a year before a vaccine is available.  Hopefully before too many people catch it, they will have adequate treatment options available. 

Conversationalist

Went to a Kroger today, got there right before they opened at 7am. There were about 25 people waiting to get in. No social distancing there, and one lady was actively coughing, into her hand no less.

I went for the hand baskets at the register rather than deal with this tense group. Produce was fully stocked. Got my jalapenos and minced garlic with absoutely no one else in the section. Meat was virtually empty, although they were still stocking some frozen items.

No toilet paper at all, not that I needed any right now. Probably I'll just order online when the time comes.

Eggs were almost gone. Maybe about 5 doz large, and perhaps 20 or so doz of medium. Limit 2 doz.

I didn't check the milk but cereal aisle was pretty depleted.

Coffee, candy, chips, maybe snacks in general, were all fully stocked. And there was a palette of Ozarka water near the entrance. Limit of 2.

I read that Walmart will do Tuesday senior hour, one hour before opening to public, beginning March 24. I don't have the details about it, though. Some places define senior as 65 +

In other news, I understand an Apartment manager here tested positive, so the darned virus may now be on the premise. It's unclear who might have interacted with her, but management handling of the situation is a little questionable so far. No notice about it, no attempts to clean the office area, etc. I hope we know more by the time rent is due. I'm on the opposite side of the complex, so I'll keep my distance.

Cheers y'all, stay alert, stay strong. Don't forget to eat healthy.

Bronze Conversationalist

Besides the COVID-19 superbug, we had major earthquakes yesterday just about 20 miles from us and about 9 miles East of downtown Salt Lake City.

From the 5.7 magnitude quake at 7:09 a.m., mt, to the major shakers at 1:07 (3.5) and 1:12 (4.6) we had about 90+ recorded quakes, about half of which were below 2.5 magnitude.

As of this writing (11:50 a.m., mt), USGS shows 12 shakers over 2.5 of 66 recorded in the last 24 hours. That means that about 54 ground shakers were not strong enough for USGS to show them on their map. The strongest of those was at 6:44 this morning and registered at 3.2 magnitude.

Power was interrupted for much of the West Salt Lake Valley, yesterday morning, so Angie left work and came home almost as soon as she got there. Her son lives down that way, so he came up here to spend a few hours away from his dark apartment.

Now, to get back to the original subject of COVID-19: Stores and restaurants across the Salt Lake Valley and all along the Wasatch Front are closing altogether, making special arrangements for curbside service or home delivery, or at least creating special morning hours for seniors to shop before they open the doors to the general public.

Schools and public offices have shut down. Senior centers run by the county are shut down for at least 2 weeks, for now, and are using the time for deep-cleaning of all the facilities.

People here are being reminded that the State has special laws against those who might buy up store inventory only to turn around and make a sizeable profit. For example, selling toilet paper at $1,000 per roll is a no-no.

Our entire population is cautioned against going out unless it is absolutely necessary. Along with that, our local employees (aka, public officials) are spreading the word on precautions, such as keeping a public distance of 6 feet or more, special cleaning procedures, staying away from others if we feel any symptoms, and washing hands more thoroughly and often.

So far, the shut-downs are slated for a few weeks or a month or two, but they will be revisited as time goes by and as we see more effects of COVID-19.

Stay well, everybody.

Enjoy!

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Brightpool 

Hello Lynn,

So sorry to hear about the earthquakes on top of the corona virusSmiley Sad  I hope everyone is OK and you get your power back soon.

Nothing has changed here but the diagnosing of more positive COVID-19 cases, more things closing and special hours for seniors.  But the young folks act like business as usual.

I haven't been out of my house in (6) days now, but I'm going out next week for a grocery, gasoline and shopping run.

Thanks for letting me know and be safeSmiley Happy

Have a Blessed & Safe Day,

Marylin

Social Butterfly

@HokiePoq 

Hey Hokie 

Thanks for asking

I'm doing okay

I'm grateful y'all are home safe & doing ok.... yes indeed the thought of being trapped in unknown area would not be cool 

I'm grateful for service of your daughter in law & pray for her safety 

I'm just hanging at home which I'm fairly used to doing

When moved here 3 years ago I'd traveled the highway I live on many times throughout my 30 years since I'd come to NC  well area has grown up so much in last 10 years wasn't aware I'd have thousands of cars passing my home everyday...... Quiet noisy for my mostly deaf country girl self who lived down quiet dirt path 20+ years wasn't & at times still not used to noise & I enjoy waking early on Sundays because lots less traffic then .....anyway..... my point of long tale is I'm kinda using that as feeler of how things are.... Today and yesterday seemed traffic was as usual..... maybe little less but its not noticeable yet as in terms as Sunday's are. So lots of folks still getting out having go jobs? in Raleigh/ Wake County??

My two sons and 1 daughter in law are still going to work as usual at this time.... other daughter in law keeping grandchildren since 2 girls out of school

All restaurants have closed dining areas only offering take out or drive thru or delivery along with All Theatres closed & several private businesses are closed

I've gotten many emails from companies I've got apps and frequent do business with about what they are doing during this crisis ... have to admit kinda freaked me out when got the 1st email was from Chick Filet closing dining... that made it feel very real.... Also I was concerned about a best friend in her 70's going to her job with Honey Baked Ham she told me Sunday she still planned to go so was wild when she messaged me Monday that they were going to Take Out Only & she'd only work 1 day a week She was pretty ok with it... just likes to stay busy and she's not used to staying home but I was glad to hear they looking out for employees and she'd hopefully be safe. 

This is truly an unprecedented time in our lives..... I've been reading things few places but don't wish to get consumed with it because that could become unhealthy....I tend to do that with hurricanes and weather and deadly shootings and such I recall with 9-11 I became overtaken by sadness 

I texted a checkin about my ex and they are doing fine so far no issues

Thanks @ralmon for all your positivity 

My prayer also we all get through this and therefore become stronger as a result of experiencing it. 

Everyone take care stay safe

Thanks to all for being here.... its as old recovery program was.... were not alone we have each other truly a blessing 

Ginger  :  ) 

Gold Conversationalist

@gm5271   Glad you are doing okay!  I too don't mind being here so much....just want to go to grocery and Costco worry free.   Inbox is also full of email from every company I do business with.  DH loves Chick Fil A which is a zoo most days.  I can't imagine what the drive through line will be like now.   I usually park and go in and get out while people are still in the drive through.  

Cleaning attic and doing yardwork, a little each day.  No excuse not to.  

There is a cluster of cases in the Williamsburg area which is about thirty miles from us.   One death in that area and another they won't say where it was.   Appreciate those who did inform about the first one (not health officials) as it makes it real and people in that area know to be extra cautious.  

We seniors are being told to stay in completely.   

Conversationalist

Hi y'all,

like everywhere most large companies are encouraging work from home, large store have reduced hours, and start introducing purchase limits (due to idiot hoarders).

I packed a trunkload of equipment on Friday, and will be telecommuting through end of the month. At that time (maybe even before), the company will reassess the situation. After 2 multimonth flood-outs, and an ice-storm closure of work, I'm used to this style of work by now.

My peppers on the patio are starting to bear fruit, waiting for the tomatoes to follow. I may head out and get some more terracotta pots and soil today, plant more things. May as well make use of the time at home.

I know it's an unusual and inconvenient situation for many, but hang tight. You'll get through it. This will play itself out in a few weeks, and things will get better again.

Cheers,

Ray

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @ralmon 

Ray, glad you're able to work from home and you're safe.  Growing food at home may become the future seeing how the public panics and wipes out grocery stores in the event of a global pandemic.

What's your state, if not to personal?  Thanks for letting me know.

Have a Blessed and Safe Day

Marylin

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@mi4090 

Hiya Marylin,

Texas - we get our fair share of floods, so I try to pay attention to the weather, and am usually able to stock up before the panic crowds. After Harvey, the place I lived was completely cut off for about a week. I had already anticipated and taken equipment home that time as well. The company site was shut down for 6 months for cleanup and repairs.

The current situation is not near as dire in some ways. There is still access to roads and stores are stll functioning, albeit in some reduced capacity in many cases. The Texas chain I mentioned once, HEB, is setting up free curbside services. You see AARP, that would be a great localized grocery gift card to have (hint, hint) - lol.

People are freaking out, but really shouldn't have to. Don't worry, it will pass. Things may seem terrible at first, but don't despair. We humans are resilient and pick up where we left off again. And you come out stronger, mentally prepared for any next event.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about the apparent increase of idiot drivers right now. Seems they let all the crazies behind the wheel the last few days.

Cheers,

Ray

Gold Conversationalist

@ralmon  Saw HEB on the evening news!   Wasn't news to us as you'd already reported the story right here!   Had not heard of that chain before you told us about it.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@ralmon 

Hello Ray, thanks for letting me know where you are.  I too believe it will soon pass and we'll be more prepared for the next global pandemic.  These grocery deals would be great, if they have anything left in the stores.  You just have to deal with the crazy driversSmiley Wink

Stay safe in TexasSmiley Happy

Have a Safe & Blessed Day

Marylin

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@mi4090 @HokiePoq 

Hey there Marylin & Hokie

Everyone

Pretty much same here in NC 

Crazy wild

Had do my monthly Meds pickup Friday at Walmart near home 25+ folks in line and counters empty all over store then went to Local Food Lion Grocery store to pickup few things

Was Aniexty provoking.... by time got heading home my nerves were shot from just being around it all

Family had my youngest granddaughter (oldest son's) 8th birthday party yesterday at park.... I had told them I'd come if my son's Dad(my 1st ex) & wife came follow their lead... since we 3 in same age group... well I went since they were to come when got there was told they weren't coming due to fact ex had been at Bio-gen conference in Boston & they are self quarantined because he's had contact with others who have virus which folks attending this conference were the 1st dozen of folks listed in NC with virus .... so hits close to home & heart 

Also while there many of the parents there who are on Facebook (I no longer go there) & Twitter learned our governor announced all schools closed next 2 weeks....OUCH.... many were freaking out ... Some already had spoken about their fears not working for weeks so needless to say as others here shared kids not in school just adds to their aniexty....

After party my youngest son & family(my oldest granddaughter) went shopping for groceries & diapers for my new grandson (almost 3 months old)  they found empty stores &  couldn't find any diapers luckily the grocery store I happened be in had some so got them box 

Its really freaky and becoming harder not to feel panic 

I've made decision hang at home since I'm in risk group..... Personally I have been living alone these last 6 years and battled with loneliness and isolation BUT somehow someway this all has seemed to intensify my feelings & stronger hate the fact of going through this alone..... I've asked my granddaughter's to stay in contact on our Echoes which will be blessing we can do that

I pray we all get through this.... Everyone stay safe

Thanks for the topic Marylin 

Enjoy your Sunday 

Ginger  ;  ) 

Gold Conversationalist

@gm5271  @mi4090 

How are you two doing?    

Hoping all on here are well.  I catch myself with a frog in my throat thinking "Is this it?"   Human nature I guess.   We are doing okay but I worry about our son who is working from home and keeping his kids at the same time.  Wife is a doctor so she must go to the office.  Worry about her as well.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @HokiePoq 

Hopefully your son and grandkids will be OK since they're at home, and sending prayers for your daughter in law.  

Stay safeSmiley Happy

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @gm5271 

Ginger, so glad you're Ok and got your meds.  Should be Ok since party was in the park.   Sorry about the 1st ex and sending prayers. 

I live alone also, but periodically talk with family.  Having more interaction via phone with majority working from home during the global pandemic.  Thanks for letting me know😊

Marylin

Gold Conversationalist

@gm5271  We are here to commisserate!   Scary times.   We will likely be babysitting with schools closed here in VA.   The first death in VA was reported in Williamsburg about 30 miles from where we live.   Community spread as no known risk factor.   It was one thing when we knew where it was coming from.   Now we don't.    Our church is closed along with all of our denomination here in VA.   I will be okay as long as I have my books, TV, and a working computer.  

Off to Costco to see if this will be our lucky day in the TP Derby.

Gold Conversationalist

@mi4090  Pretty much the same here in VA.   We may be on babysitting duty next week due to schools being closed.   Glad we bought a big pack of TP a couple of weeks ago at Costco since there's been none anywhere we've been since then.  

We were to be on a trip and actually flew to Miami (and back) but are back at home since it was cancelled at the literal last minute.    Everything changed so fast from the time we left home until the time we were to fly out of Miami on our trip.

Glad to be home safe and sound and will hope for the best.  Wishing you and everyone good health.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @HokiePoq 

Sorry about your flight, but the cancellation was a blessing due to the news report of passenger contaminating everyone on plane.

Most of my family working from home, but some do have to go to work.  My prayers are with them and all others to be safe.

Glad u and family at home and safe, and thanks for letting me know about VA and I plan to go out if only an emergency.

Marylin

Gold Conversationalist

@mi4090  We had cancelled about an hour before the entire trip was cancelled.   Fortunately we are not being penalized for doing so except maybe for the air between Miami and Argentina and back.  That is a relatively small price for not being quarantined in Argentina right now.   Yes, it is a blessing to be at home and safe.

Thanks for your concern.

Social Butterfly

It's the same here in KY.. Stores cleaned out, schools closed, smaller crowds at restaurants. We went out to eat last night and I didn't see anyone under 40. Traffic is much lighter.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @Raynyky 

It's truly something to think about, thanks for letting me know.

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP