Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

Fix the payment issue

I can't be the only person with payment issue I have tried several times and I get the same error

it does the same when I try to pay with PayPal  too! 

there's nothing wrong with my card

703201DC-8274-4D3A-8956-971609542F31.jpeg

Contributor

Still an issue for the last month using Chrome or Edge.  Probably going to have to look for another organization since it's obvious that AARP doesn't care enough about their members to fix a long standing issue.

Periodic Contributor

Didn't work for me today🥺

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Calling does not help because they do not know how to fix it either. 

Contributor

th

0 Kudos

The problem is specific to using Google card management on Chrome or other Google platforms. The Google verification process does not work with some card processor systems. The work around is to use Edge or another browser and input your card details manually. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The same result happens in Edge as well.  they just Suck.  why offer it if it does not work. 

Contributor

Same error as everyone else. Does AARP not know or listen? This is in June 2023 and it appears to not be fixed. I have tried multiple credit cards, computers, ip addresses, paypal, clear cache cookies, cellphones and nothing. This is a problem with AARP

Regular Contributor

Yes ! Yes! I agree! I’m having the issue now . They refuse to accept responsibility for what is happening. The #Error message and they’ve charged my card ( pending 360.00) their response in chat is they can’t see it on their side. It’s my credit card no it’s your system. Did you use the correct address and name ? Yes!  Does it match your card information? Yes ! They know this is an ongoing thing and don’t give hoot. 

Contributor

I've been a member since 2004, but will have to let my membership lapse because of 'Error MSS48'.

I suggest that the AARP programmers read 'Error-Message Guidelines' at https://www.nngroup.com/articles/error-message-guidelines/:

'Concisely and precisely describe the issue. Generic messages such as 'An error occurred' lack context. Provide descriptions of the exact problems to help users understand what happened.'

In this case, I suggest the following message:

'Your renewal attempt failed. We don't know why. Don't bother trying again - it still won't work. We suggest spending your time in more productive pursuits.'

Community Concierge

@MichaelD119353 Hi Michael, what exactly are you attempting to do on our site when you get this error message? Also, have you had an opportunity to follow our website troubleshooting steps: The AARP Website Is Not Working As Expected

Periodic Contributor

Duh!  It's now February 2024.  This doesn't work, hasn't worked, and nobody at AARP will acknowledge the problem.  Too many people are having issues to state it's a user problem.  The problem is on AARP's end.  I don't think AARP has the gift cards in inventory and that's why there is no rush to "fix" the broken-on-purpose) system.

Periodic Contributor

I was finally able to purchase a card. That said, it really should not be that hard!!!!! They obviously have a problem. They need to provide a permanent fix. 

Contributor

Did you do something different to get it to work?

Silver Conversationalist

Hi @MichaelD119353

I had to chuckle at your last comments.... Don't bother trying again - it still won't work. We suggest spending your time in more productive pursuits....

Reached the tech peeps...they were stunned to find out the problems were not fixed!

nerdy tech guy.JPG

nerdy tech gal.JPG

Humor helps ease the pain of this broken Wonky website

Take care   ☮️~Allen

Kudos
Views
Contributor

having the same problem. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@Sara091011C605366 I'm sorry to hear this, Sara! Our escalations team is working on your case. You can expect a response within 3-5 business days.

Having the same issue trying to set up a membership.  Either getting MSS48 error or Payment cannot be processed, submit again.   Tried different browsers, different computers, different cards.  Even tried Paypal.  

Same here and its August 31st 2023!

0 Kudos

I also cannot make a purchase today.  Had the same problem last month and it took 2 weeks to resolve.   Worked the other day but not today.

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@CorrinaG279727 @KathyB88958 Let me help! Please send me a private message and let me know what site you're on when you're having the issue and also let me know what the error message is. Steps to send a private message can be found here: How do I send a private message Thanks!

Contributor

It seems to continue to be an ongoing issue that just can't be resolved. I've tried several days with numerous different cards to purchase gift cards through the AARP rewards and the same error message shows up every time. 

Periodic Contributor

I'm having the same issues. Nothing but problems trying MasterCard, visa, discover, chrome, edge, Firefox, duckduckgo, brave, computer, cell, WiFi or not...nothing works. :(...my thing was supposed to be escalated as of 9/8 as well did you get a resolution?

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@SherriC695020 Hi Sherri, I reviewed your account and I see a purchase was processed today! You can expect to receive that email within 24 hours. Your escalation for the payment error was created on Sept 8 and our team will reach out to you with a resolution within 3-5 business days. We're always here to help if you need anything!

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@SharonK501528 That message typically means there is a billing mismatch detected. Please verify that the name and address you entered at checkout match your payment card's billing statement. The Name and Address displayed at checkout must exactly match the credit/debit card billing statement, or click EDIT and modify the name and/or address to match. Common discrepancies include missing building or apartment numbers, and P.O. Boxes and ensure that there are no missing characters or misspellings. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Contributor

You may be dismissive of others, but as a technical expert I can professionally advise that you clearly have a technical problem, and it is not something to casually dismiss as an end-user issue.  I too receive either a generic failure error when attempting to use PayPal, and the MSS48 error when entering credit card information directly.  I have attempted to renew my membership using

1. Multiple computers (including an Android phone)
  2. Multiple browsers (pre-cleared caches with all of them)
  3. Multiple source IP addresses
  4. Multiple payment methods

My name and address are current and correct.  I even make sure to authenticate to my account prior to starting the transaction, just in case it's an internal authentication problem.  All name and address information is consistent across AARP, my credit cards, and PayPal.

There is no difference.  Perhaps your credit card processor is playing games on the backend, but then I am not sure how you are interfaced with PayPal payments, as those also generate errors.

In fact, every time I attempt to process a PayPal payment, PayPal fully authorizes the payment (I end up with a PayPal verification e-mail for each attempt)... it is *YOUR SYSTEM* that rejects that handback following approval and fails to complete the transaction.  Stop blaming the user.

The really sad part is that, as long as you continue to be so blatantly dismissive of people who have problems, you will never determine root cause, have no idea what the problem really is, and are likely losing potential new and renewal memberships with no appreciable awareness as to what level of potential customer loss you really have.

But hey, why should you care?  A complaining customer who "goes away" just improves your customer response satisfaction score after all, right?

Contributor

I had planned for over five years to join AARP on my 50th birthday.  It was the right of passage I couldn't wait for.  And since June 21st, 2023, I have been trying and have spent at least 8 hours trying to join.  As stated above, I am getting notifications of a reauthorization, and all my addresses are current.  I have used a PC, an Apple phone, an Amazon Fire tablet, and a brand-new laptop.  I have used Safari, Bing, chrome, and Edge trying to make the payment.  And due to an inept and apathetic response by your IT department, you have lost untold millions and thousands of memberships, which is unconscionable as one of the principles that make this a breach of trust is this organization is supposed to be a bipartisan group that advocates for senior citizens.  How can you support when you blame the user for your failure to accept payments?!?!?!?!  Are you intentionally trying to soften and extinguish our voices?!?!?!?!

As I look through the messages on this site, this has been an issue for over two years, and your canned response is to lay it on the user.  How dare you!  I may be a GenXer, but I am 40 years younger than some of your members who are not left out in the cold.  As if this is not enough of an insult, you send the issue to your "escalation team," who will get back to you in 3-5 days.  The Oxford Dictionary defines "escalation" as "a rapid increase."  If that is a "rapid" increase in speed, I now understand why this issue has been ongoing for over two years.  An organization collecting money from seniors and cannot supply the back end to keep the programs the users have paid or tried to pay for is not only unjust, but it may also be criminal.  As a non-profit, you have stringent guidelines to follow.  How can this be following the guidelines when there is a willful attempt to circumvent a process you have installed?  I have read of customers spending $2500 on gift cards through your portal only to be told it didn't go through, yet they were charged.

The ball is in your court, AARP!!!!!  Are you the organization I always heard you were, or are you as numb as you appear?

Community Concierge

@JessicaC370460 Happy belated birthday, Jessica! We can't wait to have you in our family. Are you attempting to join AARP membership or purchase a gift card on the AARP Rewards site?

You can join AARP online using our secure form here: https://aarp.info/3kIDnh5 Or if you prefer to call us, we will be happy to assist with your AARP Membership when you call toll-free 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277). 

Heard this before."You're almost there, but your payment could not be processed. Please reenter your payment information and resubmit. Thanks! "

Contributor

And as a follow up, the credit card company shows a pre-authorization approval for each attempt as well, and then a pre-authorization credit-back after the transaction is rejected by your end.  Sop this means the user is doing their due diligence, and the payment sources are authorizing the payment... and so all we have left is your site and whatever middleware/intermediary processors you are using.  But yeah, let's keep telling the user to make sure their address is correct.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP LIMITED TIME OFFER
Flash Sale! Join or renew for $9 per year with a 5-year membership.
Join or renew
and get a FREE gift!

AARP Membership Flash Sale

More From AARP